Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight?

/ Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #11  
powerstroke444e said:
With a F350 you should be able to put it on any gooseneck deck over trailer, & pull it all over.

That is definitely true BUT... if it is empty you should be able to pull it all over just fine with a F-250 or similar. My 2008 F-250 Powerstroke would certainly not have a problem, the gross weight would just not be that much and a "bumper pull" (with correct receiver hitch, draw bar, ball, and coupler) will do just fine.

Pat

/ Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #12  
Mine was delivered by a guy with a rollback or ramptruck, whatever you call the trucks with a flat bed that tilts and slides to the ground. He set it right where I wanted it in 5 minutes.

It's at least 8 feet wide so a typical car hauler won't do it. You'll need a deck over. I drug mine around just fine with a bulldozer.

Attachments

• ass 002.jpg
    ass 002.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 574
   / Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #13  
Highbeam said:
It's at least 8 feet wide so a typical car hauler won't do it. You'll need a deck over.

Unless of course you have some timbers, RR ties, or other cribbing to get above the fenders. My car hauler is 18'3" and rated for gross weight of 12,000 pounds. It is some additional work to have to load and secure cribbing, your CG is raised a bit, but it is not a particularly difficult job to load and unload if, 1. you have a FEL or something that can hold up one corner at a time (or better yet one end at a time) while it is blocked up or 2. you have sufficient cribbing and the patience to use a jack several times.

I suggest that there are lots of axles available on the used market from trailers/manufactured homes and that it would not be all that difficult to put one of these containers on wheels and to fashion a tongue with a coupler and tow it like a trailer.

I was considering this for moving mine a bit over a quarter of a mile. I don't have a dozer. I do have dozer envy though. Since I will not be going off of my property I could put some curved ramps/sled runners in front to avoid making a grader out of it and pull it cross country then remove the tow assist apparatus and put it on the second container, lather rinse repeat.

I'm currently out for bids on moving a 35x70 steel building cross country a tad over 1/4 of a mile. The containers are currently in that building so I will be moving them. The massive semi type tractor (for highway towing) that the house mover uses would be able to drag the containers easily but I would want a sloping front on the skids.

Pat

/ Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #14  
Anyone know what these weigh? Thinking about a new deck over trailer, and may want to have ability to load container on it.

Marty

This thread is kind of old but still relevant. A 20' shipping container empty weight vary from 3800 pounds to 6800 pounds depending on how many doors, height etc, etc.
Do they can be move on a flat bed trailer easy? Yes ill do it all the time. My longest trip was 650 mi from Los Angeles, CA to St Johns, AZ, hope it helps 20160610_175915.jpg

Last edited:
   / Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #15  
This thread is kind of old but still relevant. A 20' shipping container empty weight vary from 3800 pounds to 6800 pounds depending on how many doors, height etc, etc.
Do they can be move on a flat bet trailer easy? Yes ill do it all the time. My longest trip was 650 mi from Los Angeles, CA to St Johns, AZ, hope it helps View attachment 476029

Where did you find that container with side doors?

/ Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #18  
   / Empty 20' Shipping Container Weight? #20  
This is an old thread but I was wondering what one of these containers typically sells for? A local company (Michigan) quotes $2800 delivered for a mildly used container. Is this in the ballpark?