08 gmc 2500 HD

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Well I've been following the v10 vs diesel thread below closely. Today my wife and I picked up here new gmc yukon with all the bells and whistles. Yesterday I brought my 04 250 psd in for service and found out my warranty had expired. So while at the gmc dealer today the 2500 hd caught my eye. Long story short the slt crew cab duramax on the lot was listing over $54k I almost fainted. The sales man suggested I try the 6.0 gas quad cab they just got in. It was the sle version but still well equiped. It had 3.73's in the rear and seemed very powerful and rode very well. So it looks like I could trade in my 250 for the new 2500 gasser and actually lower my monthly payment and have a full warranty and new truck. But( there's always a but) I'm concerned I'm going to be disappointed with the gasser after my diesel. I tow my dump trailer and tractor a few times a year and tow heavy. I looked quickly and it appears the 2500 was only rated 10K off the bumper. So my question is, is the gasser the right choice? I can't justify the diesel because of the price,maintence,and minimal amount of towing. Also it can be tough to find diesel stations when traveling an area I don't know. I'm looking for some advice. I should also mention this is a daily driver and I drive 50 mile to work daily. I also have a baby due soon so the crew cab would be handy.
My diesel has 50k on it and runs good but is maintence intensive.

Matt T.:D

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #2  
I have an 06 HD with the 6.0 gas. Great power, tows 10300 off the hitch and 12-13000 with a 5th wheel setup. Really like the power, It really teases you to punch it, but, like you said, there's always a but. The gas MPG is around 11-12MPG. Diesel is around 20MPG. This is the kicker. Mine is a 4 spd, they just came out with a 6 spd for 08, guys are getting 14-15 with the 6 spd.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #3  
Depends on what type of towing you are doing but I would keep the diesel. Seems like you are taking a step backwards in a few ways.

I sold a boat to a guy with a 2003 2500HD. Long story short it would not pull the boat up the ramp even in 4 wheel low. Granted the boat weighed just over 15,000# but he said it would not move even though the tach read nearly 5,000rpm. So if you are towing your loads in a area with high grades and needing to move from a dead stop you will be in trouble.

Chris

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #4  
Diamondpilot said:
Depends on what type of towing you are doing but I would keep the diesel. Seems like you are taking a step backwards in a few ways.

I sold a boat to a guy with a 2003 2500HD. Long story short it would not pull the boat up the ramp even in 4 wheel low. Granted the boat weighed just over 15,000# but he said it would not move even though the tach read nearly 5,000rpm. So if you are towing your loads in a area with high grades and needing to move from a dead stop you will be in trouble.

Chris

That guy sounds like a real nitwit. :rolleyes:

If I can unstuck a triaxle in the mud with an 190HP 1/2 ton 4x4, it's hard to believe a 300HP 3/4 ton 4x4 can't pull 15K up a smooth boatramp.

Chris, do you really believe based on that one story, that no GM pickup can pull a 15K boat up a boatramp? I think you're a lot wiser than to believe that.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #5  
GreatWhitehunter said:
Well I've been following the v10 vs diesel thread below closely. Today my wife and I picked up here new gmc yukon with all the bells and whistles. Yesterday I brought my 04 250 psd in for service and found out my warranty had expired. So while at the gmc dealer today the 2500 hd caught my eye. Long story short the slt crew cab duramax on the lot was listing over $54k I almost fainted. The sales man suggested I try the 6.0 gas quad cab they just got in. It was the sle version but still well equiped. It had 3.73's in the rear and seemed very powerful and rode very well. So it looks like I could trade in my 250 for the new 2500 gasser and actually lower my monthly payment and have a full warranty and new truck. But( there's always a but) I'm concerned I'm going to be disappointed with the gasser after my diesel. I tow my dump trailer and tractor a few times a year and tow heavy. I looked quickly and it appears the 2500 was only rated 10K off the bumper. So my question is, is the gasser the right choice? I can't justify the diesel because of the price,maintence,and minimal amount of towing. Also it can be tough to find diesel stations when traveling an area I don't know. I'm looking for some advice. I should also mention this is a daily driver and I drive 50 mile to work daily. I also have a baby due soon so the crew cab would be handy.
My diesel has 50k on it and runs good but is maintence intensive.

Matt T.:D

Matt, if you want the upfront savings of gas power, why not pick up a Ford w/ V-10? Ford has the best gas tow ratings right now and some pretty good incentives. Since GM pulled their 8.1L last year, they're not competitive in the gas towing segment.

Or if you want a GM, wait until GM puts the 6.2L V-8 in this fall. They will be a lot more competitive in gas tow ratings again.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #6  
No, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the GM trucks. I am not a fan but they sell plenty so others do like them. I know the guy who came to his rescue and it was with a GM Suburban. He said it just to a slight pull to get it moving with a tow strap. Pulling a load like that from a dead stop is one of the toughest jobs you will ever as a truck to do. Not only do you have the weight of the load working against you there is also the suction of the water then good old gravity. I pull 4 to 5 times a week and this is the toughest on the trucks, no matter what brand. I am guessing what happened on this case is the torque converter would not lock up. I forgot to mention but it was in Mid-August and about 110 that day. That generation truck had 300Hp and and 355 Ft Lb of torque so they were no power house. My new F-150 has about the same.

As for your 1/2 pulling a tri-axle it depends on the situation. I saw a Jeep pull a stuck 18 wheeler out of a ditch one time. It depends on a lot of factors.

You do have to admit that he is taking quite a few steps back to go from a 3 year old diesel to a gas.

Chris

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #7  
I have a 2008 Chev 2500HD it will pull as well as my old 2004 diesel ever did with the new 6 speed transmission. I get 15 miles per Gal up hill down hill loaded or unloaded.

For all the math people here if you do some quick work you will see that you will need to drive around 150 to 200 thousand miles to break even it the purchase price gas ver diesel just using the miles per gal savings. For example 100,000 miles at 15 miles per gal at $3 per gal. = $20,000 . The same 100,000 miles at 25 miles per gal Diesel at $3.50 per gal = $14,000.
With the price diff of approx $8 to $10 k between the vehicles you can see you will need to drive a lot just to break even. This is just a ruff est and does not count the higher maint costs for filters and oil etc.

With this said let the Flaming begin.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #8  
jsborn said:
I have a 2008 Chev 2500HD it will pull as well as my old 2004 diesel ever did with the new 6 speed transmission. I get 15 miles per Gal up hill down hill loaded or unloaded.

For all the math people here if you do some quick work you will see that you will need to drive around 150 to 200 thousand miles to break even it the purchase price gas ver diesel just using the miles per gal savings. For example 100,000 miles at 15 miles per gal at $3 per gal. = $20,000 . The same 100,000 miles at 25 miles per gal Diesel at $3.50 per gal = $14,000.
With the price diff of approx $8 to $10 k between the vehicles you can see you will need to drive a lot just to break even. This is just a ruff est and does not count the higher maint costs for filters and oil etc.

With this said let the Flaming begin.

Another thing no one evers considers is that if you take the 6-7K you save by buying gas and invest it over the 5 + year life of the truck, you'll probably have double that...at least 10K by the time you buy another truck.

Best thing to do is buy what makes sense, not what guys on the internet tell you to buy. It's easy to spend other people's money.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #9  
Matt,

I have a couple friends with the gasoline GM trucks and they like them. If you tow only occasionally, I would think it would be a fine option. I have always thought towing was as much a function of chassis and suspension as it is motor. The GM engine is perky when unloaded and I think you would be happy with its performance day to day. It will do reasonably well on fuel economy in daily driving as well. It will not tow as efficiently as a Duramax, but it also will not be floundering on the roadside, either. Aside from some shifting by the tranny to maintain adequate RPM I think it would do fine. ANY of these trucks pull better than the top trucks from 10 years ago. My personal opinion is that if you liked the truck and can save some money I would consider it strongly, especially if you are getting a new warranty and a good one. It is psychologically tough to go from diesel to gas in this size truck, but if you can handle that, I really think you would get nearly the same daily economy and also get a truck which can potentially run many thousands of miles.

John M

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #10  
One thing I did do so as to maintain my manhood is I put a 5 Gal can of Diesel in the bed of the truck with the cap off so I can still have the smell of fuel while stopped.

Just a thought for all of you who like me can't drive no wimpy truck :D :D