Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century?

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #11  
I have an ARE tonneau lid on a 2003 F-150. No leaks around the lid but I used to have issues with some splashing up from below. This truck came with a bedliner and I added a rubber mat. Had some old floor mats laying around and slipped them in between the liner and the mat and let 5-6" flop down in between the bed and tailgate. No more problems. I really like the ARE.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #12  
I have an ARE that I bought new in 2000 for my F150. I have been extremely happy with it and the only problems that I have had are the fading of the led taillight in the roof and I had to replace the gas lifts for the rear window just last month.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #13  
I also have an A.R.E topper. No complaints.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #14  
I have owned Leer toppers since 1980. I keep going back to them. A.R.E. is a good top as well. I'd recommend two latches on the rear gate (in lieu of a center single latch). Also buy frameless glass. Get away from the framed windows and rear gate. Yea it costs extra but this is a nice top to place on a truck. I think I paid around $1500 installed for this one, which is color code matched for the factory paint. Allow about 6 weeks for lead time.

Here's the top that I have now (bought recently) which is the 100XL model.

LEER truck caps and tonneaus for Chevy and GMC pickups

I opted for an fold down front window. It folds inward for ease of cleaning the outside of that glass and the outside of the rear cab glass.

96846d1204332134-truck-cap-topper-leer-r-img_1886.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 14,361
   / Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #15  
I've had 4 toppers. 3 leer and one aluminum of an unknown brand. I like the Leers. I would not have a pickup without one. I have a heavy bed mat and aluminum wheel well boxes installed on my newest truck where I keep all my tools, etc. A 4x8 sheet of plywood will slide on the bed between them with room to spare. I also thru bolt the cap to the truck. Every couple of years, I replace the foam topper tape between the bed and topper. Lowe's sells it.

When ordering a Leer also make sure you tell the salesman that you want the finished edges where the cap meets the truck bed sides. Otherwise the cap edges will be longer and not even with the truck bed sides on the inside.

What CRBR and Skip said is absolutely correct.

Attachments

• My Trucks 001.jpg
    My Trucks 001.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,849
   / Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #16  
I also have an are on my maxicab alot of the "options" on the others were standard on mine.

I also prefer the slam latche handle in the middle (not 2 handels) and the hidden hinges and heavy frame on back window.

tom

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #17  
**** Caution - threadjack ****

crbr - that looks like a nice Mastercraft in your picture. What year is it? (I'm guessing mid-80's?)

Have you ever posted pics on the mastercraft forum (Team MasterCraft)? If not, get some on there soon so we can all drool over it

**** Threadjack over ****

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #18  
I've had a few Centurys, all of which worked out pretty well. They didn't peel or anything and the hardware seemed to hold up. The most recent is on the '94 Dodge and is nearly 14 years old. It's been garaged most of its life and still looks like new. I've never done anything to take care of them other than to hose them off.

My '95 Ford has had something called a Hop-Cap since new. These were pretty popular in Indiana at the time. In Indiana, it had to live outside and is peeling badly now. Some of the trim started coming off when it was about 6 years old, but there hasn't been much problem with that since. Got the swing up windows on both sides on this one. Pretty convenient for reaching things at the front of the box. Might go that way again. Back door cylinders gave out about 5 years ago. Side window cylinders still working fine.

Never had a real problem with any of these caps leaking. Make sure you get something to protect the lip of the tailgate from the bottom edge of the back door.
Bob

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #19  
Cap is flimsy and cannot carry any load. Why do they offer a Thule rack for the top if it can't carry much weight--useless for most purposes. Leer rep told me the core material of the cap is cardboard. Based on how flimsy it is, it must be so. Tailgate will not stay closed. Electric lock failed. Ram was secured with one screw that loosen every time it is used. Poorly desiged mechanism. Product came with defective window screen. Took me 2.5 years to get my replacement. They shipped it after 1.5 years, but nobody notified me it came in. Sat for over a year. Even with new screen the screen is not held in place at enough points to keep out insects. Large gaps between screen and window. This window is nearly 7 feet long and there are only four brackets to hold it tight? Come on! what were you thinking? I asked for more brackets and these were never provided. Nut securing frame was striped and unsightly. This was the worst choice I could make for a truck cap. My old one that cost me $50, was stronger, had screens that work, although not as good looking it was not bad looking. FINALLY. I lost my key. When the electric opener failed, I could not get in and LEER would not respond to my requests for a new key. What is so hard about that? The people at LEER are at the level of idiots studying hard to be morons. I hope they go out of business. They don't deserve to exist. Everyone associated with the company should be out of a job and homeless, maybe then they will learn about customer support.

Last edited:
   / Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #20  
I chose a LEER for my '06 F-150 after looking at them and ARE and trying to look at a couple of local brands. I ended up choosing the LEER because the version I was looking at came without the inside carpeting while the ARE had carpet (making it cost alot more). I highly recomend the removable front window to allow you to clean the glass. I also got the Thule rack for the top. The first topper that was installed had a problem with the roof and it flexed badly and the windows didn't open and leaked. LEER shipped it back to the factory, replaced the shell and fixed all of my issues. I do occationally have a bit of leakage from the windows as the drains seem to overflow if the rain/water hits them just right, but it usually runs along the bed rail and out the back without getting anything wet. Overall, I've been satisfied with the LEER.

BTW, I haul 2 large sit-on-top kayaks on the top. I did have a Thule foot turn loose, causing one yak to jump off (YIKES!) but it was my error that caused it. The weight up top (even at 70 mph) has not been an issue.