Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century?

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #31  
Do any of you have experience with any of these truck cap manufacturers?

Pros and cons/ opinions?

I heard they can have a problem with water leakage into the truck bed. Of course, that might be installation dependent.

I'm thinking carpet lined truck cap with bedrug, by the way.

Purchased one Leer fiberglass cap for my F150 back in '82, had nothing but problems, back then they used WOOD for mounting rails that fit on the pickup bed and it wasn't treated wood, after a few years the screws holding the fiberglass and aluminum molding started to pull out...I kept it waxed but it did no good, after 5 years the gelcoat was so bad it was like rough sandpaper. The dealer I purchased it from was saying "Leer is the King of Caps" well my experience said "Leer is the King of C--P", and I never purchased another one.

Only other cap I purchased was a Ranch fiberglass model for another F150, it's been neglected for 14 years (farm truck use) and it's still a better cap than the pampered Leer was after 5 years. I will NEVER buy another Leer product...EVER.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #32  
Not to be a smart arss but I have owned over a dozen trucks and have never wanted or would have a topper. I had one cover back in the early 90's but never again. Just got in the way too much. To me its a truck. I have used the bed at least 3 times a week. Things that need loaded with a forklift, fire wood, boat stands, ect. If I need the safe dry storage I would have bought a Van or a large SUV like a Excursion or Suburban.

I guess its to each to make that decision but I will never own one. Seems to me like you should have just bought a Van or SUV. I can see the specialized up-fitter beds on a cab and chassis truck, that is different.

Chris

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #33  
Couldn't disagree more Chris. I use mine all the time. Only take it off when hauling hay in the summer. The rest of the time it is on and put to good use. My dogs sure appreciate not being back there in the rain, and I appreciate not having them up front smelling like, well, wet dogs. It also is extremely handy for hauling all kinds of stuff I don't want exposed to the elements or that I don't want to have to tie down or secure. Now granted I also have a dump trailer so I don't need to haul barkdust, etc. in my truck bed. When I bought my travel trailer I specifically went with bumper pull as I wanted to leave my canopy on. Of course, it also rains 9 months out of the year here in the western NW, so unless you like hauling wet boots, hunting/camping gear, animals, etc. in your cab, a canopy sure makes things nice (I have an SUV as well, and we always use the truck unless it is for groceries or hauling kids around).

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #34  
It really depends on how you use your truck. I haul material just a few times a year in the bed. I try to use a trailer as much as possible.

I do a lot of hunting, fishing and camping. I can't tell you how valuable a topper is on a week long trip to have all your stuff out of the weather and somewhat protected from thieves. For the activities I do, I can't imagine NOT having a topper.

A typical one week trip for us means the bed is almost completely full of stuff. If it was raining on the drive to or from our destination I would be in a world of hurt or have to bag everything in trash bags.

Plus, with 3 guys it is only about a 20 minute job to remove the topper. A little longer to put it on but not a big hassle at all. Over the years, I have had very few reasons to remove it, especially when you add a trailer to the mix.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #35  
I guess its just different strokes for different folks. Could not give me one. Like I said, if it was what I needed I would have bought a diesel Excursion instead of the F-350.

Thats what great about this country. We can each have what we want and outfit to meet our needs.

Chris

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #36  
I guess its just different strokes for different folks. Could not give me one. Like I said, if it was what I needed I would have bought a diesel Excursion instead of the F-350.Chris

You would really rethink that stance if you had 3-4 smelly bird dogs in that Excursion with you. Especially, after tangling with a skunk....and that happens at least once every season!:laughing:

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #37  
I have a Leer cap with the match colour on my 2008 Dodge Ram , it has given me no problems whatsover.
If you move furniture and hate tarping for rain, it is great.
Also it prevents snow from filling the box in winter. It also helps hide those things you might otherwise have to remove.
I take it off with my son in law and it takes 15 minutes. So that I can use truck for hay work or ATV hauling while hauling boat too.

I love it, it has lasted two winters so far and it was minus 20 degrees many a day , no cracks !

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #38  
I put Swiss brand toppers on my delivery trucks . I have been satisfied with them . Once I had to send fuel tank door off of new truck to match new truck paint code . I also put a Bedslide in delivery trucks , saves chances of injuries , and easier to keep bed clean . If you haven't seen one look on internet , it's a flat platform on a roller bearing track with a latch and rubber removable mat .

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #39  
I opted for an fold down front window. It folds inward for ease of cleaning the outside of that glass and the outside of the rear cab glass.
+1 A very important feature I would not do without.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #40  
You would really rethink that stance if you had 3-4 smelly bird dogs in that Excursion with you. Especially, after tangling with a skunk....and that happens at least once every season!:laughing:

While I am a dog guy I do not take them anywhere other than the vet. So for me its not practical. Like I said, I have something in the bed 2-3 times a week that is loaded either by a fork lift or a FEL via forks or a chain. No way at all it would work for me. 90% of the time I also already have a trailer on the back with either a boat, car, or tractor on it. Thats one reason I hated my GN trailer, lost the use of the bed.

If it works for you that is great. Just not for me.

Chris