Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century?

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #1  

beefeater

Bronze Member
Do any of you have experience with any of these truck cap manufacturers?

Pros and cons/ opinions?

I heard they can have a problem with water leakage into the truck bed. Of course, that might be installation dependent.

I'm thinking carpet lined truck cap with bedrug, by the way.

Last edited:
   / Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #2  
I had a Leer many years ago on an S-10, never had any leakage issues. I bought it from a neighbor and we installed it ourselves.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #3  
I had a fiberglass Leer on my 89 Nissan SE. It held up very well, untill I sold it in 2001. No leaks anywhere, only problem was the shiny black paint faded to dull charcoal within 5 years. Not sure how they're painted today, maybe a different painting process. Would get another one. Actually I had a fully carpeted and insulated bed also. I cut out plywood flooring and sides and covered it with IO carpeting. It was mint, I used it for camping and slept many a night back there comfortably. When I needed to haul some messy materials, I just threw a tarp in there to keep it clean. Worked great, best of luck.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #4  
I have a Leer on my Nissan 4x4 that I bought new in 1993, has been a good cap. I've replaced the lift cylinders just once in 15 years, and the clearcoat started peeling about 1 or 2 years ago. Other than that, no other problems at all - fiberglas, hardware or sealing. I had an A.R.E. on my F250 for 3 years before it was destroyed in an accident last year, it wasn't a good cap at all. The latching mechanisms were junk, the window weatherstrippings shrunk terribly and wouldn't stay in, had to replace the lift cylinders way too early. The fiberglas was quite a bit thicker - a plus in one aspect, too heavy for my needs. It did have the carpet lining, my Leer doesn't. I prefer it without so it's easier to clean/dry. If you plan to camp/sleep in the back, the carpet would be a benefit but for anything else I can't see the usefulness of it. When I was pricing shells after my accident last year, the Leer was about 1/2 the price of the A.R.E. - I definitely wouldn't pay what they want for an A.R.E.

My only other experience with a cap was a Brahma that I had on my 1986 Nissan, it was made from ABS plastic. It was a fantastic cap, I had it 8 years and it still looked as new when I sold the truck with 248,000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure Brahma is out of business, at least that is what I was told in 1993 when searching for a cap for the new Nissan or I would have gotten one instead of the Leer.

In most cases you will have to remove the cap and replace the mounting tape every "X" years. I have found that going thicker with the tape and really getting the cap clamped tightly so it doesn't vibrate at all will extend the time between replacing. I use extra clamps so it's equalized along each bedrail. I haven't had the Leer off the Nissan in 10 years and it doesn't get a drop of rain in. The A.R.E. kept my F250 bed soaked in any rain at all.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #5  
I have owned two Century caps. First was a brown one on a 86 F250. It faded badly but otherwise no problems.. I replaced two cylinders on it and it is still beinng used. Second is a white one on a 97 F150. I replaced the cylinders on it last year. Still looks like when I purchased it. I would buy another one.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #6  
Leer and A.R.E. are very well respected here in Florida. I have a Leer that I may put on my F-550 after I paint the whole thing
:)

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #7  
I've had 2 fiberglass caps made by Swiss. They were decent quality and didn't leak. The only problem I had with both of them was the locks would seize up. But a little WD-40 once a year cured that.

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #8  
Fiberglass caps are pretty simple. Just look at them and choose the one you want in the colour you want. Keep it Polished.:D

Also make sure you get good hold down clamps or bolts and it's on square.:D

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #9  
I've been using a cap purchased from a local Line-X franchise for the last 6 months with no problems or leaks. Truck bed was also coated by Line-X at purchase.

With a cap the good news is the whole bed becomes a tool box. The bad news is the same.:)

/ Truck cap/topper-Leer, A.R.E,Snugtop, Century? #10  
I've only owned two; one I bought in 1972 for a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup and one I bought in 1991 for an Isuzu pickup. I don't remember the brands, but I specifically wanted aluminum (for lighter weight than fiberglass and might dent, but never crack) and I wanted the "ladder rack" on top and wanted the side windows to swing up and open so I could reach things in the front of the pickup bed without climbing in from the back. I never had a complaint with either of them and they never leaked any water into the bed.

I've heard of Leer and Century, but not the A.R.E. or Snugtop, so I don't know if they're sold in this area or not.