It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!!

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Ok, here's the situation. I'm buying a new trailer, I'm buying a PJ for sure and my mind was made up of the 22' deckover tilt deck 14k gvw. So I started calling the local dealers to find my trailer. Well I found on at a dealer in NH. The price was good but the diesel to get it made me pause and see if my local (5 mile away). He didn't but is picking up a load next week and will match the dealer in NH's price. Ok so here's where it gets sticky. He did have a PJ 20+5 GN that was sold there and showed me all the feature of the GN. He also spent alot of time showing me his towing setup and really explaining the advantages of GN for long distance,highway towing. Now the price for the tilt was actually alittle more for the tilt than the GN. I also like the idea of no dead batteries keeping me from loading or unloading. But I also don't like the weight of the ramps on the GN. So it's a real hard decision for me. I currently will be moving my 3320 with fel and bh so there'll be lots of room for proper load placement and other attchments on the GN. There also me alot of room on the tilt but it seem like more of a hassle to load other attachment on the tilt since I'll need to either tilt and load and secure or load secure then tilt. To make it worse I plan on getting a JD110 in the near future. Both trailer will handle this load fine. One more thing, my hitch is rated 12k conventional of 15k WD so I'd need the WD for the tilt. But I'd need the GN hitch added to my truck. HELP me make a good decision!!!!

Matt T. in trailer crisis:confused: :eek:

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #2  
Sounds like both trailers will carry the equipment you need. I guess I would need to know the value of having an open space in your pickup bed for cargo. If you need bed space, go bumper pull. If you don't, get the goose.

Just a note on the tilt trailer- can't you just get a cushion up/down on the tilt? No batteries are required. You just back the tractor off the tilt and it begins to tilt down. When you load, you drive up and it cushions-down to flat position, then you lock it.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #3  
I probably have more questions than answers but here we go.

Are you saying you are looking at a 14K bumper pull? What are you pulling it with? That is a heck of a hitch rated at 12K wo WD and 15 with. I would be leary of those numbers if it were me, and I would go through all my peices and insure they were all up too that task.

That all said, have you drove your rig up onto a deck over, on ramps and backed off?

It is really nice to have the full area of a tilt bed to hit, or a full width ramp.

I have a low deck equipment trailer, and can assure you that when I miss a ramp with a bobcat, or a ramp kicks out etc, it is a bad, bad feeling. Buddy Doug and I were just talking about it this weekend.

While I realize that a gazillion folks haul on deckover's, with ramps, make sure before you plunk down your cash that you are comfortable enough to load and unload off that. (It would be difficult too me)

Good luck whichever way you go.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!!
Ok, to clarify the hitch on my truck is 12k conventional hitch 15k with a weight distributing hitch. Those #'s are correct. The GN will have three ramps that fold down so there's no missing a ramp. (Three ramps are full width of the trailer) I have loaded into my dump trailer plenty and the ramps on that are the most scary you can get on a trailer and they are so heavy. I really don't put much in the bed so not too much worry there. I'd get the B&W turnoverball so I'd have the bed when not towing. Mu concern is the bumper pull 14k and that's alot off the rear. That much weight makes the GN seem a better choice. This is the last trailer I want to buy so I need to get this right.
I'd like to get a travel trailer also so if I got the GN I could get the b&W companion 5th wheel hitch and be good there also. I don't intend to tow all that often now but that will change down the road. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Matt T.:D

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #5  
What kind of truck do you have? that'll help determine what weight trailer you can pull. Check your towing guide while you're at it to make sure you can tow the weight you're proposing.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #6  
There can be a number of things to consider when deciding which kind of trailer to buy, but considering only the towing of the trailer, there's just no comparison. The GN makes driving so much nicer, more comfortable, more stable that given a choice, I'd have to have some strong reasons to go the other way; something like absolutely having to haul other stuff in the bed of the truck at the same time I was pulling the trailer.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!!
This isn't a question about my truck. I already know the capabilitys of my equipment. The question is on the best trailer. The gvw is the same for both trailers, the both weigh about the same. The choice is function,I've never owned a GN but hear how much better they tow. No calls to borrow them. And the trailer is longer. The tilt beds hydralics are it's strength and downfall. In my dump trailer the battery going dead is a royal pita. The tilt would offer the same type of issues. The GN will have all the strengths and the only downside will be having to install the hitch. But if I do end up getting a 5th wheel travel trailer I'll already have the hitch in place.

Matt T.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #8  
GreatWhitehunter said:
This isn't a question about my truck. I already know the capabilitys of my equipment. The question is on the best trailer. The gvw is the same for both trailers, the both weigh about the same. The choice is function,I've never owned a GN but hear how much better they tow. No calls to borrow them. And the trailer is longer. The tilt beds hydralics are it's strength and downfall. In my dump trailer the battery going dead is a royal pita. The tilt would offer the same type of issues. The GN will have all the strengths and the only downside will be having to install the hitch. But if I do end up getting a 5th wheel travel trailer I'll already have the hitch in place.

Matt T.

You say the only downfall to the GN is having a hitch installed. Yet the hydraulics and dead batteries are downfalls to the tilt. Once you properly install a GN hitch, it's done. The hydraulics and batteries will always be a lingering problem.

I agree with what Bird said. The GN is a better trailer for several reasons.

Plus think about climbing onto a 25 degree slope with wet/muddy shoes.

I had an ASV RC100 delivered to me on a tilt trailer. I thought it was nice until I saw the salesman trying to unload. Climbing on the tilted trailer was akward, and trying to open the door even proved to be somewhat of a challenge.

You mentioned the weight of the GN ramps. Are they not spring assisted? I vote for the GN 100%.

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #9  
Get the GN...install the hitch...and get to work...:D

/ It's GO TIME for my trailer shopping!!! #10  
I agree with Paul ... IMHO the GN is much easier to handle ...
Leo