GN--pick up to med. duty truck

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #1  

MIspecial@mac.com

Hi guys, 1st post here. I am looking at slowly starting my way back to being self employed. I want to keep doing more side jobs while still having the income from the 9-5. I have a 4x4 diesel pick up and am looking to upgrade my trailer from a bumper pull tandem to a GN tri axel. I might be thinking a little too far down the road but does anyone know if a gooseneck trailer mates up to a med duty 4x4 well? Like an International 4800 4x4? Is bed height an issue?

The reason I ask is, I would like to eventaully like to try my hand @ mulching and with the weight of those machines (rayco c140) I want to buy enough trailer now so I won't have to trade up later. And the next truck will be a full time work truck and 4x4. There are good deals on used power company trucks and some dealers will separate the bucket or auger and sell cab and chassis. So I would like to be able to use the trailer on both trucks.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #2  
MIspecial@mac.com said:
Hi guys, 1st post here. I am looking at slowly starting my way back to being self employed. I want to keep doing more side jobs while still having the income from the 9-5. I have a 4x4 diesel pick up and am looking to upgrade my trailer from a bumper pull tandem to a GN tri axel. I might be thinking a little too far down the road but does anyone know if a gooseneck trailer mates up to a med duty 4x4 well? Like an International 4800 4x4? Is bed height an issue?

The reason I ask is, I would like to eventaully like to try my hand @ mulching and with the weight of those machines (rayco c140) I want to buy enough trailer now so I won't have to trade up later. And the next truck will be a full time work truck and 4x4. There are good deals on used power company trucks and some dealers will separate the bucket or auger and sell cab and chassis. So I would like to be able to use the trailer on both trucks.

Yes! You can get a gooseneck for a 4800. I have seen a few guys who buy a big 5th wheel and a trailer to pull their backhoe, tractor, etc., but I'd doubt the profile of the neck will be the same as for a pickup. Best to call a trailer manufacturer. There might be something that's adjustable, but I would think it would be a tough plan to execute. Something tells me the trailers won't interchange between your 2 trucks.

It might be a better plan if you just buy an older single axle tractor, like a soda delivery day cab truck, and buy a single axle tag for it and keep your pickup. You can get them for like $8,000. A 4800 is a more expensive truck to own. Repairs can be costly. It would be cheaper to buy & operate a traditional single axle and a 4x4 pickup than a 4800 alone. Ask me how I know. :eek:

Maybe a F-550 4x4 would be a better option because they can tow quite a bit and the 5th wheel trailer can fit both your trucks.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #3  
I have seen trailers designed with the higher neck profile for lifted 4x4 trucks that should fit the truck you are talking about. The neck on them was advertised to also have enough adjustment to fit a regular pickup bed, which would allow it to do what you want. Builder brings up some good points though on keeping a pickup and getting a single axle truck to trailer with. I seriously considered buying one to move for my cattle and equipment trailers. After looking at our ranch business and goals we decided we would not do enough trailering to warrant the extra truck, so an new/newer 1 ton(or F450/550) is in the picture. The trailers I have bought are sized for those needs and uses.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #4  
I had a gooseneck hitch installed in the winch bed of my '59 White. The hitch on the trailer adjusts about 6 inches up and down so I can use it on either the White or my F-450. A 4x4 medium duty will be significantly taller than a non-lifted pickup but probably close to a lifted 4x4 pickup.

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 823
  • truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 739
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 966
   / GN--pick up to med. duty truck
Thanks guys. I'm starting to look for a gooseneck now. I like the tri axle and thinking about 28'. Any brands that you favor?

Builder-That a great looking dump! I had a late 80's Coke truck, that was refurbished by Imel motors into a dump. It had a straight 7 speed non syncro and it was sloooooow!

Jesse1--very cool truck also!

I have my ford f250 diesel, 7.3L dialed in and I love it. I added a spring up front and 2 in the rear with a large overload pack and the f350 rear spaced block. So I don't know what the capacity is any more.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #6  
Mine is an Elite 25' + 5' dovetail, 3 7000 lb axles. It seems to me to tow easier than a trailer with tandem duals, but you can really skid the rear tires around in a sharp turn.(and bend axles if you are not careful I am told). A guy hauled several loads of hay on contract for a gent that bought from me. His trailer was also an Elite(they are manufactured about 30 miles from me) 25'+5' with tandem duals and a 5" lowered deck. I really liked working with his load height. Both of these trailers though have standard necks. But they are solid trailers, in my experience.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #7  
MIspecial@mac.com said:
Thanks guys. I'm starting to look for a gooseneck now. I like the tri axle and thinking about 28'. Any brands that you favor?

Builder-That a great looking dump! I had a late 80's Coke truck, that was refurbished by Imel motors into a dump. It had a straight 7 speed non syncro and it was sloooooow!

Jesse1--very cool truck also!

I have my ford f250 diesel, 7.3L dialed in and I love it. I added a spring up front and 2 in the rear with a large overload pack and the f350 rear spaced block. So I don't know what the capacity is any more.

There's little chance that a trailer for a bigger medium duty would also work on an F-250 not so much becuase of height, but because of weight. The trailer will either overwhelm the F-250 or be too light for a truck like a 4800. A 4800 is a BIG truck, they're usually 33,000 GVWR with airbrakes. An F-250 is an "entry level" 5th wheel hauler. You'll need a CDL and probably want air brakes.

I'd either get a big 5th wheel for a big truck like me or Jesse has, or get a 550 4x4 and get a slightly smaller 5th wheel trailer.

Save your f-250 for running around, they can't handle much of a 5th wheel trailer.

A double axle tandem will handle more weight than a triple axle w/ single wheels. The triple axles seem to scrub tires real bad, too.

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #8  
MIspecial@mac.com said:

Well I just went through this and Ill share my good and bad things. There is lots of info about trailering, CDL licesnses, trucks, etc
I bought a 1996 Int 4700, T444E, auto tranny. This was a hauler truck, I should have done my homework. I ordered a 30ft tilt, 10 ton trailer (2 axle)I had to give them my specs on the truck, height of ball, measurement from ball to bumper and ball to corner of bed. They then built the GN hitch to match the truck. The trailer is a Kraftsman, built in NC, this is the second trailer I have ordered from them. I dont like 3 axle trailers, that 3rd axle catches the devil in a sharp turn and the tire will roll/twist off the rim in a turn.
I have a Fecon FTX90L (Rayco 87L) I bought the truck and trailer just to pull it.
This is what I did wrong
Truck not strong enough to pull the equipment, I know part of my problem is the wrong rear end ratio and Im working on changing that to a 4:10, I know that will help, but not very much. I need at least a 300hp engine with the proper tranny and rear setup. I started with a Ford F350 dually, got stopped by the DOT and learned the hard way, that I couldnt pull the equipment with the dually ($1200 lesson) You can forget pulling a 140 with a pickup. As the business allows, Im going to buy a single axle day cab with at least 300hp engine and put a hauler body on it. I like the hauler body, I have my aux. fuel tank and air compressor for blowing out the filter screens and greasing the machine

I really like the tilt top trailer, easy to load and unload by yourself. I have the front 5ft stationary, to haul attachments. I just got rid of a 9 ton GN dovetail, just liked the tilt better.

As you stated, I do recommend buying a day cab (delivery truck) just make sure you have the horses and the right setup (tranny and rears) I know Im going to catch some flack on this next suggestion, but here goes. stay away from the Cat 3116 and 3126 engines, they just dont hold up and lack in power. If you dont believe me read the RV websites.

Keep on doing your homework, before you make the jump. Just curious why you picked the 140 instead of the 90 or 100 Rayco? I would love to have the 140, but its a little big for my target customers ( single lots and small acreage) the 140, for me, is just to big to do selective mulching on small lots. They are great machines, if you can get into the acreage work.

If you dont have your CDL, you will need one to pull a 140.

I do recommend the Rayco/Fecon, they are built to do this work.

Good Luck in your dreams, thats what its all about

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck
Couple of things. I want to get into the mowing business but it might be awhile. My dad just retired and was looking for something we could do together. I was in the landscape business for about 7 years and just got burned out. We had an International with the DT466 and it was a dog with a load of top soil and a 12 ton interstate tri axle with a bobcat. So I agree you need the right truck for the job. Wishful thinking about one trailer for 2 trucks. Thats ok.
I don't have my heart set on the rayco 140. My friend has and older Hydro ax and he does ok but its limited because of the size and needs a semi to move it. I been looking and it seems that most skidsteers (I favor bobcat) are not up to the demands of mowing. I like the steel tracks and there are few used 140/130 out there but they are pricey. I have not demo'd one yet but would like to.

So back to reality, no truck is my near future. I'm going to be towing with my pick up for now. Mostly a bobcat for grading jobs and I need a trailer. Go with a gooseneck and but size it for this job? Or just stick with a bumper pull?

/ GN--pick up to med. duty truck #10  
I have a 2007 F-450 4x4 and I tow a Fecon FTX-140 all over the country with it. It seems strange to hear that my machine on a 10 ton goose is to much for my truck to do when I do it every day. I live in Tennessee and towed the machine to New Mexico usually running the cruise control. An F-450,550 with the .488 rear end will tow the FTX,C 140 all day every day. Then when you get to the job leave the trailer and you can still run to McDonalds to get lunch and stop for fuel, and don't forget if you need service off of the road at it has rained or snowed the night before. The big trucks will probably tow better but they will not do anything else better. It is basically up hill the whole way from TN to NM and the 450 tows the 20,000lbs of the 140 on the trailer with ease.