Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
My wife and I bought two large Cub Cadet gardent tractors, 982 SGT and a 582. This will nessitate a new trailer as my current one wont handle two tractors. At the same time, I dont want to overwhelm our jeep when we tow with a trailer that can get away from me. She is against trading in the jeep for a small pickup truck like I want to. My idea was to get a small pickup and put the 582 in the bed and the 982 on our current trailer. The jeep has the 4.0L inline 6 and a class III reese hitch. We tow about 4-5 times each year with only 2 times being over an hour drive. Trying to keep this on the less expensive side, either buying a used trailer or replacing the jeep with a pickup and using the trailer that we have. BTW the current trailer is perfect for the 982 Super Garden Tractor. Looking for opinions. Thanks Mike and Michele T

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #2  
First off you need to know the tow capacity of your Jeep. I did an internet search for the 982 and 582 looking for weight specs and only saw pics. My guess is that combined they weigh less than 2K so I really don't see a problem other than you need a trailer big enough to haul both of them. Most Home Depot, Lowes, Gander Mt. etc. sell trailers big enough for that. I think your 4.0 Jeep would have no problem hauling them on an under 3K rated trailer. I've seen 4.0 Jeeps hauling 2 snowmobiles on a trailer that probably weigh more than your two tractors.

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #3  
I use a 2 place snowmoble trailer for hauling a mower and 4 wheelers. These are a tad wider that conventional home depot appliance haulers. I also use a 4 place snowmobile trailer for heavier loads: equipment and hay. If you are concerned about a trailer 'getting away' having 2 axles (4 wheels) should ease your mind. You want something with a tilt and/or bed bed so the mower deck doesn't get hung up on the end when loadin/unloading. I suppose a beavertail or landscape ramp would improve the situation, but you mentioned cost....

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The jeep is good for 5K according to the book, but I dont think I would try and get that close. The 982 is around 1100 lbs and the 582 is just under 1k in weight. I just dont want issues when I get into a cross winds situation. Most of the events we go to are in the early spring and late fall and the winds are usualy up pretty good. I have had 2100 behind the jeep, bout the max my trailer is good for, and the jeep handled it ok, it was slow going up hills and it went thru gas like crazy as you have to lock out the OD and 4th gear when towing heavy or it will burn up the trans. The jeep needs some money put into it, I would rather trade it in on a small pickup truck and use our current trailer than dump a bunch of money into the jeep and have to get a different trailer. I am trying to rationalize it in terms she will understand. Thanks Mike

My main worry was cross winds with that much weight behind the jeep, its rated for 5k, but even with 2500ish behind it, its straining and really slow going on hills. You have to run with the OD and 4th gear locked out or you will burn up the trans, that is the procedure from Jeep in the manual. So your turning 3200rpm running 65 on the interstate and the fuel millage sucks. With the jeep needing some decent money dumped into it shortly and the added cost of getting a bigger trailer, we are just not sure what we need to do. My buddies nice 92 S10 with the 4.3L in it would be perfect, its a long bed so the 582 would fit perfectly, then the 982 on the trailer. We plan to go look at trailers soon. Mike

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #6  
The 4.3L is just as bad of a tow rig as your 4.0L jeep. I had a S-10 Blazer back in 1990-1992 and it was horrible with a load. I never towed over 3,000# with it and that was enough. I would not buy a 15 year old truck when you all ready have a rig that can do the job. If you are going to upgrade get something like a early 90's 1/2 ton from the big three. Buying the S-10 will put you in the same situation you are all ready in but with your buddies problems.

Chris

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #7  
Mike
You obviously want to buy a pickup truck...Just do it...:D

We ended up getting a new trailer tonight, nice 7x12 with side loading ramp and tail loading ramps, wood floor, 15" rims. I also got all LED lights to go on it. We got it at the local TSC store. Seems to tow nice behind the Jeep. Jeep goes in for new springs, shocks and control arms in May. Cheers Mike

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #9  
Mike,

I'm guessing you already know this because you bought a new trailer, but let me just say it. The Jeep with handle that load without even blinking. The I6 4.0L is a strong motor, but you'll need to keep an eye on your tranny.

BTW, why are you replacing the springs and control arms? Are you getting your Jeep lifted??

/ Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee #10  
I haul my JD 2210 with FEL or Miata on a tandem trailer with a Nissan Xterra.

If I'm towing 3000 lbs+ out of overdrive. If climbing a hill don't floor it, just moderate throttle. Plus I drive much more careful. Something everyone should do while towing.