New F 350

/ New F 350 #1  

chh

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C
Since everybody likes pics, here is one of my old truck ready to be traded in. #2 is a shot if the new F 350 with the V10. #3 is a shot of the old truck in use. The feedbox(2000 lb capacity) will go on the new truck this fall. A grillguard and a 4' underbed toolbox for each side will be installed in the next week or so. This truck has the 11' bed instead of the 8' like on the old one. I have a 100 gallon fuel tank mounted usually all summer. I should actually be able to have both on and be able to use the gooseneck ball.

Truck 13.jpg

Truck 14.jpg

Mower 1.jpg

/ New F 350 #2  
Very nice. What kind of fuel mileage do you get pulling that big ol' trailer? I like that set up. I'm pretty sure my next truck is gonna be similar. If you don't mind saying, how much did the 11' bed cost?

/ New F 350
The old Dodge was a 97. It had the 12 valve Cummins with a 5 speed. 4:10 gears. The best mileage it ever got was about 16 on the hiway. Towing or feeding with box loaded was between 10 and 12. I really intended to keep it for awhile longer but both axles needed resealed, all 4 sets of brakes done, transfer case was out, drivers side door about to fall off, shocks, slop in the steering ect. The list added up to more than I was willing to put back into it. The engine was still just perfect.
The 11' bed cost was only around $200 over the price of the 8". There was no extra charge shown on the sticker for the extended wheelbase. The only price difference on that truck and the regular length one next to it was the upgrade from the 5.4 to the 6.8 engine.
After the wife saw it and rode in it for the first time this afternoon, it appears that steps, running boards or something may be in order.

/ New F 350 #6  
Why did you decide on the V10 over the V8 turbo smoker?

/ New F 350
mark.r said:
Why did you decide on the V10 over the V8 turbo smoker?

A lot of reports put the fuel mileage at nearly the same, gas is cheaper right now than diesel, maintenace cost on a diesel, and the initial price of the diesel engine over the gas.

I am really having trouble getting used to driving a truck without the loud diesel rumble the Dodge had though. I also have to call my cattle to feed and check on them now, before all I had to do was start that truck and they would come. Feeding is pretty much over for until next winter, so they will have some time to get used to seeing this one. I will have it on the hiway with the gooseneck equipment trailer next week, so I will see how well it really tows then.

/ New F 350 #8  
Well let us know what the mileage is pulling the gooseneck. I have my 05 King Ranch Powerstroke for sale, and I am very seriously considering purchasing a V10. However, I want to know the power, most importantly, the torque that the V10 has compared to a Diesel.

/ New F 350 #9  
chh said:
A lot of reports put the fuel mileage at nearly the same, gas is cheaper right now than diesel, maintenace cost on a diesel, and the initial price of the diesel engine over the gas.

I am really having trouble getting used to driving a truck without the loud diesel rumble the Dodge had though. I also have to call my cattle to feed and check on them now, before all I had to do was start that truck and they would come. Feeding is pretty much over for until next winter, so they will have some time to get used to seeing this one. I will have it on the hiway with the gooseneck equipment trailer next week, so I will see how well it really tows then.

I can understand the fuel and mileage reasons but I don't think I could give up that torque.:D

/ New F 350
Well here is a few observations from what little I have used it so far, all mileage figuires are off the dash readout. 12.8 mpg on the highway at 65 cruise on. 8.2 mpg with a 24'x6'8" stock trailer loaded with calves. 9 mpg running around the ranch roads(top speed 20 mph or so). It does have plenty of power for trailer towing:D . Acceleration and towing are better than the 5.9 diesel that my old Dodge had. Stepping up to the 1 ton sure improved braking and squat when the trailer was loaded also.

BTW, the truck is a 5 speed auto with 4:30 gears.