Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

Default Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing?

I have a Tundra V with overdrive and will be towing a trailer w/gvw of around
    7500 lbs from So. Ca. to Wa. state this summer. Should I use overdrive when on flat land or will it hurt the trans when cruising?

thanks,
    Ralph

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

Default Re: Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rameck
    7500 lbs from So. Ca. to Wa. state this summer. Should I use overdrive when on flat land or will it hurt the trans when cruising?

thanks,
    Ralph
    I don't know if this makes you feel any better but if it does hurt the trans, then you have an improperly designed transmission.

I'd consult your owners manual or towing guide.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Ralph, like Builder says, consult your owners manual and I don't think towing in OD is recommended with anything, I have a 7.3 PSD 4 speed auto and it says NOT to tow in OD
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

I agree... I would not use overdrive with that kind of load.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    JD 4200

I'd think it be ok as long as it isn't shifting in and out of o.d. but you manual should tell you one way or the other.

M.D.
    2001 JD 4200, 420 loader, HF Quick Hitch, bucket boom, back blade, boom pole, forks, carry-all, moldboard plow, middle buster, receiver hitch, post hole digger.

My Pics
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...0/ppuser/33421

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case DX45

I don't think towing in OD is recommended with anything, I have a 7.3 PSD 4 speed auto and it says NOT to tow in OD
    Depends on the vehicle. With my 2005 F250 6.0 you just set the truck on "tow haul" mode and keep it in overdrive, let the computer due the rest. It changes your shift points to upshift later on acceleration and and at higher rpm's after downshifting on grades. Helps keep the transmission from moving between gears as much.

Tractor
    BX 24

It doesn't matter what year make or model if your towing you should turn off the overdrive or put the vehicle in tow/haul mode. When pulling a heavy load the transmission has to down shift a lot to be able to go up even the slightest grade. Even more when in overdrive. The purpose of overdrive is to lock the torque converter so that there is no slippage between the engines crank and the transmission input shaft. This is done to give you better fuel mileage. Every time the transmission locks and unlocks the torque converter it builds up more heat. While towing this heat is built up faster than the trans cooler can dissapate the heat. Thus cooking your internal trans parts. You will notice that your gas mileage will suffer and engine rpm's will be higher but your trans will go through less wear if you turn off your overdrive. If concerned about mileage leave the overdrive on and monitor your engine rpm. If you notice the truck shifting a lot(rpm going up and down), turn off the overdrive. Make sure you check trans fluid before you leave and after you get to your destination and before you shut off the truck let it idle about 5 mins before you shut off the engine to allow the internal trans parts to cool some from the circulating trans fluid. Remember that an overfilled trans is just as bad as an underfilled trans. If any thing here I wrote is confusing say so and I'll try to explain better.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 5200 2 wd

Quote Originally Posted by Rameck

thanks,
    Ralph
    Ralph, you will eventually smoke the trans requiring a rebuild which is never cheap. I know this from experience towing a 14' dual axle enclosed work trailer that weighed in at about 5500 lbs loaded behind a 4wd Suburban. As others have said, read the manual specific to your vehicle.

Paul

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

If your Tundra is an 07 or better then just turn on your tow/haul switch and go. If it is an older Tundra with a OD lock out then lock it out before you start out.

Tractor
    Kubota B7510

I have the tow package option on my F150 and the book says.... "No".

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast