Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing?

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #1  

Rameck

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 336D
I have a Tundra V with overdrive and will be towing a trailer w/gvw of around
7500 lbs from So. Ca. to Wa. state this summer. Should I use overdrive when on flat land or will it hurt the trans when cruising?

thanks,
Ralph

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #2  
Rameck said:
7500 lbs from So. Ca. to Wa. state this summer. Should I use overdrive when on flat land or will it hurt the trans when cruising?

thanks,
Ralph

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but if it does hurt the trans, then you have an improperly designed transmission.

I'd consult your owners manual or towing guide.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #3  
Ralph, like Builder says, consult your owners manual and I don't think towing in OD is recommended with anything, I have a 7.3 PSD 4 speed auto and it says NOT to tow in OD
:)

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #4  
I agree... I would not use overdrive with that kind of load.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #5  
I'd think it be ok as long as it isn't shifting in and out of o.d. but you manual should tell you one way or the other.

M.D.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #6  
I don't think towing in OD is recommended with anything, I have a 7.3 PSD 4 speed auto and it says NOT to tow in OD

Depends on the vehicle. With my 2005 F250 6.0 you just set the truck on "tow haul" mode and keep it in overdrive, let the computer due the rest. It changes your shift points to upshift later on acceleration and and at higher rpm's after downshifting on grades. Helps keep the transmission from moving between gears as much.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #7  
It doesn't matter what year make or model if your towing you should turn off the overdrive or put the vehicle in tow/haul mode. When pulling a heavy load the transmission has to down shift a lot to be able to go up even the slightest grade. Even more when in overdrive. The purpose of overdrive is to lock the torque converter so that there is no slippage between the engines crank and the transmission input shaft. This is done to give you better fuel mileage. Every time the transmission locks and unlocks the torque converter it builds up more heat. While towing this heat is built up faster than the trans cooler can dissapate the heat. Thus cooking your internal trans parts. You will notice that your gas mileage will suffer and engine rpm's will be higher but your trans will go through less wear if you turn off your overdrive. If concerned about mileage leave the overdrive on and monitor your engine rpm. If you notice the truck shifting a lot(rpm going up and down), turn off the overdrive. Make sure you check trans fluid before you leave and after you get to your destination and before you shut off the truck let it idle about 5 mins before you shut off the engine to allow the internal trans parts to cool some from the circulating trans fluid. Remember that an overfilled trans is just as bad as an underfilled trans. If any thing here I wrote is confusing say so and I'll try to explain better.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #8  
Rameck said:

thanks,
Ralph

Ralph, you will eventually smoke the trans requiring a rebuild which is never cheap. I know this from experience towing a 14' dual axle enclosed work trailer that weighed in at about 5500 lbs loaded behind a 4wd Suburban. As others have said, read the manual specific to your vehicle.

Paul

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #9  
If your Tundra is an 07 or better then just turn on your tow/haul switch and go. If it is an older Tundra with a OD lock out then lock it out before you start out.

/ Should I Be Using Overdrive When Towing? #10  
I have the tow package option on my F150 and the book says.... "No".