Trailer Inspection??

/ Trailer Inspection?? #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
This is a bit of a public service announcement.

I know ignorance is no excuse, but I recently learned that Pennsylvania requires annual inspection of all trailer with a GWR of 3000# or more. I was notified of this by a polite State Trooper near Harrisburg in writing and he only charged my the low training fee of $108.

Is this something new, or are they just starting to enforce it?
I have several friends with boat and travel trailers and they had never heard of the inspection requirements.

/ Trailer Inspection?? #2  
I am not a resident of PA, but I brought a boat home from there in 2004 and I had to have a inspection on it. It weighed just shy of 16,000# I am not sure of the cut off but I do remember the requirement of a inspection for my travel home when buying a new boat and trailer from a dealer in PA.

Chris

/ Trailer Inspection?? #3  
Trailer inspections have been in Pa. for a long time,I have an inspection lic.to inspect trailers in pa for over 30 yr's.I do not know when it started but before that if that info is any help.I am quite sure it won't impress the officer.Here in Pa if a trailer's Reg. weight is over 3000lbs then a annual inspection is required.A lot of owner's either forget to get their trailer's inspected or see how many yr's they can get away with it thus saving them the 20 buck inspection fee.But as ou stated 1 brief lesson cost $108, so if you can dodge it for 5 yr's, your even again.If it makes you fell better some of your education cost go to fixing the roads.

/ Trailer Inspection?? #4  
The same goes for here in Texas also except it's 4500lbs. There are exemptions though like farm, military...etc

It's one of those laws that is not enforced and most folks don't know about it so they don't get it, also most inspection stations don't even do it so finding one is rather difficult.

/ Trailer Inspection??
Thanks for the replies.

I found a few places that will do the trailer inspection.
I'm wondering what the inspection involves.

I am assuming they check the lights, brake/tire wear, overall roadworthy
condition.

Do they apply a controller signal to check the brakes as well?

One thing my trailer does not have is the breakaway battery (if that's the correct term). Is that something I'd have to add to pass?

/ Trailer Inspection?? #6  
I am in PA and own 3 different trailers. 1 has brakes 7000lb needs inspected. Other 2 are single axle with no brakes don't need inspected. To my knowledge if it has brakes it needs inspected. I never knew the 3000 lb rule but after looking at my boat trailer with no brakes its gvwr is 2995lb for that reason I assume.

Brad

/ Trailer Inspection?? #7  
wushaw said:
The same goes for here in Texas also except it's 4500lbs. There are exemptions though like farm, military...etc

It's one of those laws that is not enforced and most folks don't know about it so they don't get it, also most inspection stations don't even do it so finding one is rather difficult.

Maybe I was just lucky, but I never had any inspection station refuse to inspect my travel trailers and issue a new sticker, but none of them really knew what they were supposed to inspect.:D

/ Trailer Inspection?? #9  
In Texas, this is what the statute says as far as what is to be inspected:

[FONT=Arial,]Items of Inspection[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
[/FONT]

A separate manual is provided to the Inspection stations with the instructions as to how the inspection is to be done and what is required to pass. I used to have that manual years ago but haven't seen one in a long time, and I know a number of things have changed.

/ Trailer Inspection?? #10  
heck in florida we dont even have vehichle inspections, thats why you see so many broke down clunkers that couldnt pass inspection in other states.