Transporting a Shed

/ Transporting a Shed #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
I came across an old shed that someone no longer wants, and I might be able to get it for free as long as I can get it off his property. But, how does one transport a shed? Is there anything special I need to know? The shed is 6' x 12', and my trailer is 5.5' x 10'. My thinking is that I could get this shed with the following items:
  • A rented trailer that is big enough
  • A lever of some kind to pick an edge of the shed up
  • A come-along
  • Something that I can put under the shed after I lever it up that would allow it to roll. ?
Any suggestions? I know the other option would be to disassemble it.

Thank you

/ Transporting a Shed #2  
Hire a tilt bed and have them back up to it, lower the bed to where it is just under the lip of the shed and winch it on. You might have to add a winch anchor point to the shed but that would be the easiest and fastest.

/ Transporting a Shed #3  
I would lift the shed using a high lift jack (or a front end loader if available) and block it or use jack stands. You might need to use 2 beams under the shed to clear the trailer and then drive the trailer under the shed. Set the shed and beams on the rails of the trailer and strap it down securely.

/ Transporting a Shed #4  
My two brothers moved a 10' x 12' storage shed about 40 miles by getting a rented U-Haul trailer, used a single farm jack to jack up one side, put blocks under it, jack up the other side a bit, put blocks under it, go back to the first side, and repeat the procedure until it was high enough they could simply back the trailer under it, then let it down onto the side rails of the trailer.:D Of course, there was no way it was legal, but the trip was almost entirely on farm-to-market roads and they didn't get caught.

/ Transporting a Shed #5  
Robert_in_NY said:
Hire a tilt bed and have them back up to it, lower the bed to where it is just under the lip of the shed and winch it on. You might have to add a winch anchor point to the shed but that would be the easiest and fastest.

I like Robert's solution...that's the way the local shed companies deliver sheds around here...They back up to the gravel foundation and slide the shed off the tilt bed and they are gone...:D

/ Transporting a Shed #6  
Depends an awful lot on the shed, and it's value, but mostly on construction.

Does it have a floor? Does it have runner beams under it? Was it built in place or moved there as a unit? Is it structurally sound enough to lift without collapsing.

For rolling a shed to final position rollers of 4" PVC work real well. For pictures if you look for the post AlanB's house rework on the project page you can see how I moved my box shed then we did it on a rollback.

For my little metal sheds about the size that you are describing, 2 of us lifted an edge and slid it over on the trailer on the one with no floor, for the one with the floor I lifted the edge with the Bobcat.

I think mostly the answer is, it depends on the shed, it's location, what you have available to work with and how bad you want it :)

/ Transporting a Shed
AlanB said:
I think mostly the answer is, it depends on the shed, it's location, what you have available to work with and how bad you want it :)

Very good point. :) It doesn't look like I'll be getting this shed now anyway, but I'm filing away this thread for future reference for any time I do come across a "get it off my property and it's yours" deal again.

Thanks everyone.

/ Transporting a Shed #8  
Bird, what's illegal about shed transportation? Curious, so I don't ever get myself into an oops, didn't even know that was illegal situation.

I've thought about moving sheds a lot. But never came up with that jack and trailer under idea. Wow, seems obvious now, great idea.

/ Transporting a Shed #10  
Charles, the only thing illegal about it was the fact that it was 10' wide, so to be legal you'd need to get an oversize permit, which they did not do.:)