receiver hitches

/ receiver hitches #1  

rollbar

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 4520 jd
anybody installed a receiver hitch on a light pickup. need to haul a 4520
tractor. I was wondering what the cost to have a class iv hitch put on a 150 ford pickup truck. what can i expect cost wise, and do they just bolt on or do they need to be welded to frame? thanks for any input!

/ receiver hitches #2  
check out ag supply, they have curt hitches for the best price I could find. They have very reasonable shiping and are nice to order from. The hitches are custom to your model pickup and will probably install in a hour or so. They just bolt up and usually do not require drilling.
Good luck, Dave

/ receiver hitches #3  
I've had multiple good dealings with etrailer.com. As stated before you can easily install in about 1-2 hours. MikeD74T

/ receiver hitches #4  
I just put a class III hitch on my Ranger. Hitch cost was $88 from Princess Auto. To install, the hitch bolts onto the frame using two existing holes as well as 4 holes that I had two drill myself. Install time was about one hour.
The hitch is rated well above what I can tow but the price was right.

/ receiver hitches #5  
I used etrailer when I put a hitch on my Chevy 1500. Be careful, just adding a hitch isn't adding a towing package. You should add a transmission cooler. Check Uhaul online. They install hitches and coolers. You don't want to over load your truck.

/ receiver hitches #6  
All good advise. I install hitches all the time, about 15 a year. On all late model Fords you usually have to drop the spare tire out to install then put it back in when done. I have not had to drill any holes with any bumper pull hitch I have ever installed.

Don't forget to get the wiring harness. And like said before if you are towing any distance, 15 miles or more, you need a tranny cooler. They are cheap, about $50, and easy to install.

Chris

/ receiver hitches #8  
You can beat the price, but I got lazy, didn't want to do the installation myself (even though it isn't that big a deal and I've done them before), and I was looking for a place that had the right hitch in stock right then, so on 8/21/2006, I let a local U-Haul place install my class III Drawtite 78165 hitch on my 2001 Ford Ranger. As Diamondpilot said, they dropped the spare tire, bolted the hitch on with no welding or drilling, and put the spare back. The truck already had a flat 4-prong trailer wiring plug which was all I needed. Anyway, the total cost for the hitch, labor, a hitch head, ball, locking pin, and sales tax came to $210.97. U-Haul's current retail price, just for the hitch receiver is $169.95 and I think the model 78165 is made just for U-Haul. On Drawtite's own website, they don't list a model 78165, but list a model 70181, which appears to be the same thing in a class III/IV for $150.95 right now, although they claim a retail price of $249.89.