Tie down points

/ Tie down points #1  

afish

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
First let me say thanks to those who helped me with my other post "new transport what size chain" I will be getting all GR70 chain and binders 3/8" just to be on the safe side. My question now is attaching the chain to the trailer. I would like something that would adjust easily for different locations for when the load needs to get moved around on the trailer, I want to stay away from putting anything on the deck surface since I plan on building some removable walls for when I need to haul loose material like mulch and above all else safe I have no desire to watch my new tractor go tumbling down the road or hurting anyone. This is what I came up with for first thought and wanted to get some opinions. I figure solid stock for the 1.5 x 1.5 and tube for the 1x1.5 since its just there to pack it out so it fits in the stake pocket better. I also thought about 2 x 2 solid stock with its own receiver instead of using the stake pockets I would probably add a couple gussets to the stake or receiver tube to help beef it up. I was thinking either a clevis or one of these for the top of the 1.5 x 1.5 or 2x2 Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this set up

Attachments

• 318020_lg.gif
    318020_lg.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Drawing1.JPG
    Drawing1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 181
   / Tie down points #2  
When I bought my trailer I ordered it without any D-rings for tie down points. Once I placed the tractor on the trailer I new where I would need the tie downs so I welded my own D-rings on the side of the trailer so as to not interfere with side racks that I built later to fit in the pockets. I welded 2 D-rings on each side and 2 on the back.

I've seen the type hook you show. Will they fit inside the stake pocket? If so you could drill through the pocket for the pins and make your tie downs removable. If not perhaps you could place that hook with one hole inside the pocket and the other outside with a pin going all the way through the hook and pocket.

Attachments

• 100_0445 [640x480].JPG
    100_0445 [640x480].JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_0446 [640x480].JPG
    100_0446 [640x480].JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 246
   / Tie down points #3  
I just thread my chain down through the stake pockets and hang the hook on the outside of same pocket.

/ Tie down points
George thats why I thought about making those inserts for the stake pockets and that hook or a clevis would be mounted to the top of the 1.5 x1.5 steel in my drawing. That way I could move them around to different stake pockets to suit my needs. Dosnt the pockets get bent up at all hooking the chian directly to the stake pocket?

/ Tie down points #5  
Nope, not at all.

Been doing it that way for ever.

/ Tie down points #6  
I am with Will. Just drop the hook through the stake pocket then hook the chain grab hook to it. What you are proposing will work but will cost money and is another thing to fail, get lost, or get stolen.

Use the KISS rule on this one. Look at what truckers do at your local truck stop.

Chris

/ Tie down points #7  
You can also look at an E-track system. I put it on my trailer. For stakes I use 1.5" angle inside of 2" angle.

On the second pic you can see the flat bar at the bottom and the gap in the middle. If I tie down from the side, I loop the chain/strap around and hook from the top. As the others have mentioned this way the hook will not come off while you are attaching on the other side.

Good Luck,
Rob

Attachments

• etrack3.JPG
    etrack3.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 248
  • closeup-siderail.JPG
    closeup-siderail.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 214
   / Tie down points
Thanks guys I will just go with the chain in the stake pocket I was just worried that they would get bent up and since I was going to be using walls half the time I didnt want any problems with them getting bent but I will try that first.

/ Tie down points #9  
I have bent mine a little. You need to careful with the ratchet binders as a LOT of force can be applied to the chain. I would like to use the weld on D-rings as shown because it seems like the stake pockets aren't exactly in the perfect spot out front.

/ Tie down points #10  
Willl said:
I just thread my chain down through the stake pockets and hang the hook on the outside of same pocket.

Yes, that is exactly what a DOT officer pointed out to me. I got stopped, weighed, checked etc., and passed (whew!). However, the officer did tell me that I was using the stake pocket wrong. I'd just dropped the chain down into the pocket and let it grab the side of the pocket when lifting up. He didn't fine me or anything but told me I was attaching the chain incorrectly. The correct way is to drop the chain hook down through the pocket, bring the hook back up on the outside of the pocket and let the grab hook drop back down, grabbing the stake pocked from the outside with the hook pointing down. (hopefully I explained that so it is understandable) That way if the chain gets loose for some reason the chain hook stays hooked in the pocket. If you just drop the chain down through the pocket and let it grab on the underside of the pocket it will come off if there is any slack. I didn't know that, but it made sense after he showed me. Anyway, I honestly thanked him and have been hooking the chain in the stake pockets the right way ever since.