loading tractor Safely

/ loading tractor Safely #1  

Propjob

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Two questions; I will be loading my JD2305 with FEL and ballast box on 16ft trailer. Is it best to load with ballast box forward? (About 600lbs in box and also loaded tires. ) If driving straight up the ramps, could the ballast box create a rear tip? Trailer is 16' Big yex with steel ramps. I use to load race cars on trailers in my young and stupid days but, am a little more cognizant now. Thanks
Jim

/ loading tractor Safely #2  
I have the same thing happen when I load my TLB on my 16 fooot PJ trailer,it will try to pick up the back of pickup almost off the ground. I have heard of others using jackstands,blocks of wood under back of trailer to keep it from tipping back while loading. I load my tractor facing forward. so the rear axle on tractor is just ahead of center pivot of rear axles of trailer. I mark my boards with magic marker for a reference when loading by myself. plowking

/ loading tractor Safely
Marking the trailer sounds like a good idea. Does the front of the tractor feel squirelly when loading with a Ballast Box or does the FEL and motor provide the Counter balance needed?

/ loading tractor Safely #4  
Mine doesn't fell squirrelly or sway when I load,you will see front of trailer raise and hear the suspension creak as the weight is transfering up the trailer. I have to put 4X6 boards under my ramp to keep the backhoe from dragging on the ground because of angle of incline of the ramp,you shouldn't have that problem ,depending of length of your ramps,height of trailer. My truck is a 2500 HD,so it should stay on ground. A half ton could have it's rear wheels pulled off ground while loading. My loader is enough for ballast,I load with my bucket as low as possible without hitting the deck of trailer,I will adjust it as angle changes. I also tie down the tractor with chains,binders instead of using straps. plowking

/ loading tractor Safely
Plowking;
Good information. I bought the large straps from the trailer dealer but am leaning toward the chains. Looking at the MV laws, it specifies chain with binders, However I believe the guys at Rosencrantz delivered with the Nylon straps. JIM

/ loading tractor Safely #6  
I carry my MF2310 on the back of my Sprinter pickup. I have since built a trailer. I put mounts for jacks on all 4 corners so I can stabilize the trailer when loading and not put stress on the hitch until it is loaded. Supporting the rear of the trailer is good to help to stabilize the trailer. If I can I still carry the tractor on the truck as to mess with the trailer.

Doug

/ loading tractor Safely #7  
the direction you load your tractor (forward facing or backward facing) will probably be made for you by the weight distribution on the trailer once it is loaded. you will need to experiment getting your tongue weight correct for the towing vehicle.

i found with my 20' trailer that there is plenty of tongue weight even when the tractor is set back near the rear of the trailer. this places most of the tractor weight over the trailer wheels and just the weight of the trailer (considerable) on the tongue. depending on which implements are attached, i may load it rear facing or front facing to get the right "squat" of the rear of the tow vehicle.

you'll see what i mean almost immediately once you start pulling it. on my truck, the rear suspension starts to feel too hard if i have too much weight up front on the trailer tongue. i like to shoot for a basically level ride where the truck is just a little tilted towards the rear but the front wheels still have plenty of travel and good ground contact and the trailer is flat from the hitch all the way to the back. you may have to experiment moving the tractor around a little.

the thing you don't want is TOO much weight to the rear of the trailer as that can induce dangerous sway in windy or curvey road conditions.

amp

/ loading tractor Safely #8  
I have a 16' big tex, and I routinely load old ford tractors ( 660 / 850 / 951 ) that have fel, plus concrete counterweights... never had a problem with a light front. make sure you block the rear of the trailer though..

soundguy

/ loading tractor Safely
Thanks for the info. I was looking it over a few minutes ago and think a set of jack stands under the rear frame should do. My ramps edges hooks on the back rail to load. Should I safety chain them.to the rail or should they be ok?? JIM

/ loading tractor Safely #10  
I made a set of drop legs for mine. Have an 18ft that I tow the 110 on. Did not even try to load it without something supporting the back. Took a few hours to fab up and install.