Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
After a decade of running a Cummins powered Dodge 4X4 dually I wanted to go with a newer truck. I bought an '06 Ford F350 crew cab 4X4 with the 6.0 PSD. In almost 11 years I never once had a wrench on the Cummins except to add performance modifications. So far I've had nothing but trouble with the Ford 6.0 PSD. Obviously it's still under warranty, but I'm really questioning my decision to buy one. I have not yet sold my old Dodge and am embarrassed to say I may go back to it since it seems not only more powerful but vastly more reliable than the Ford. My Ford goes back in the shop on Monday. :(

Has anyone had a 6.0 PSD that has been reliable? Mine is completely 100% stock (no performance mods at all) and it still won't stay together. Even under warranty, I am not open to having to take my truck for monthly dealership stays that seem to average a week. I really do like the rest of the truck, but so far this 6.0 PSD seems to be a disaster. Maybe I ought to look into the conversion kits to put a Cummins in the Ford. Obviously I'm fishing to see if anyone has one that has been reliable. Anybody?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #2  
The first 30K- 40K on my 2004 6.0L weren't pleasant, it went into the shop more times than I want to mention, now with 58K on it, it has been trouble-free. Fuel mileage was in the 8-10 mpg range (10 empty- 8 loaded w/trailer), now its its closer to 13 mpg (empty). I had trouble with the turbo tube vibrating off, no matter how tight it was installed, then a dealer found the turbo had a hair-line crack in it, now it has a rebuilt turbo on it (covered under warranty) and has been working fine.

It seems like the 6.0L is a bad headache for Ford (due to emission controls), the 7.3L was more reliable and much better fuel mileage (less emission stuff), and hopefully the new twin turbo (6.4L) is a better engine (but seems to still have some bugs to work out).

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #3  
I do not own a 6.0 powerstroke, but as a mechanic for a large government fleet with several 6.0, 7.3 pstrokes, 5.9 cummins, 6.5 chevs and dmaxes, I feel that I do have enough experience with each to talk inteligently about them. Bottom line, The 6.0 as a whole, turned out to be a more problematic engine than ford would have liked, which is largely why they no longer use it. FACT Many of these problems can be traced back to emission system issues, [corroded and seized variable geometry turbo actuater shafts, plugged egr valves, tubes and coolers,etc. OPINION This will become more common across the board with all new diesel engines as the manafacturers are still trying to perfect each of their own respective emission systems. FACT Many 6.0 powerstroke engines experienced problems with the cylinder head gaskets leaking, it is felt that frequent hard use, such as extended high boost situations contributes to this problem, Also chipping the engine seems to expedite this process, many have begun to install an ARP head stud kit to fix this problem, This can be done with the engine in the chassis and body on the frame, but it is a real pita.FACT Ford has been Reflashing the ecm on 6.0 equiped trucks for some time now, OPINION Many feel that the reflash takes a significant amount of horsepower [50 ish] and most concede that the mileage drops after the update. OPINION Many feel that this was done as a bandaid fix for the headgasket issue. OPINION when the 6.0 is running right, it is a responsive fun to drive diesel, with a respectable amount of power. Fact Internationals version of the 6.0 is called the VT365, which was used in some medium duty trucks. FACT We just took delivery of 3 new 6.4 psd F350s , The jury is still out on reliability, Power is awesome, Fuel mileage is scary 8-9 highway empty engine is amazingly quiet. I hope they never break out of warranty, because that is one ugly looking engine compartment, I dont know if they could fit anything else in there, hard to descibe, you just have to look for yourself

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?
Thanks for the replies. I just don't know what I want to do now. I don't really need 2 trucks, but I'm definitely not ready to turn loose of my old '96 Dodge with the ultimately reliable Cummins in it. The much newer Ford rides much better, has far superior brakes on it and is a crew cab (which I wanted). I didn't want to buy an older 7.3 because most all of those have quite a few miles on them and everyone I know with one of those has had transmission issues as well as multiple injector issues. Even dealerships where I know the owners well told me to pass on the 6.4. Apparently they get terrible fuel economy and the particulate filters (that are supposed to last 100k before you get hit with a couple thousand dollar expense to replace) are failing at 30k miles or so. I thought about going back with a Cummins in a new Dodge but I heard the same thing about their 6.7; poor mileage and the same horrendous particulate filter problems.

The 6.0 in the '06 I have runs well enough completely stock to do what I need to do and I've averaged 14.3 MPG (hand calculated) in the thousand miles or so that I've had it. However, it is surging badly (even after changing both fuel filters), has the check engine light on, and it has an oil leak again. It has already had 3 injectors replaced, the turbo replaced and both head gaskets replace. I seem to be frustrated and running out of patience with the Ford diesel. Right now I couldn't imagine owning this truck if it were out of warranty. I don't drive a lot of miles, but I do like to keep a truck 10 years or so. I really question if this truck will stay together 10 more years. Worse, if I needed to jump in a truck and tow a trailer across the country and feel secure that I would have no trouble, right now I'd grab the much older Dodge.

Now I see why some people have bought new Ford diesels and then turned around and spent another $20k to have a Cummins installed in them at FordCummins.com: Home Maybe I ought to just work on finding me a good 5.9 Cummins to stick on the shelf until after this is out of warranty and needs help...

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #5  
Dargo said:
Thanks for the replies. I thought about going back with a Cummins in a new Dodge but I heard the same thing about their 6.7; poor mileage and the same horrendous particulate filter problems.
QUOTE]

Geeze Dargo

I have an 07 Dodge with 6.7 and DPF system and lost one mile per gallon. There are times, particularly when very windy out, that the mileage drops substantially.. Overall, a difference, but not earth shattering,, As far as the DPF system, no problems with this either other than, with me, every time it cleans its self out,, I have to continually drive it another 40 or so miles for the thing to complete a 100% burn. IT tells you on the monitor what needs to be done, and Dodge's DPF isn't hot like Ford where a fire can be possible. I drive 7 miles on the interstate to get the mail, fuel, milk etc, drive around the town of Sturbridge give or take 10 miles and return home, So it is local driving and more 35 mph driving than interstate,, My DPF goes off more than usual and it is because I stay local,, Still , I would get another Dodge and not even think about it,,,

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #6  
Sorry to hear of your troubles Dargo. I wanted to buy another Diesel pickup too but the current state of the market just didn't look good. I ended up buying a 97 Gas F350 to tide me over until the market looks better.

If I were you, I'd sell the Ford and try and find another one without the problems. Maybe a 1-2 year old Dodge?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #7  
I had an '04 F-350 dually for over 50,000 miles and had no engine problems. No oil leaks, no water leaks and no head gasket problems. Seems like most of the head gasket problems happened after owners installed tuners to increase power. Since the truck is used, are you really sure no one ran a tuner on it? The '03 and early '04 trucks seemed to have had the most problems and this usually involved a new flash for the engine computer. The dealer needs to make sure the truck has the newest flash installed.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #8  
Dargo said:
Thanks for the replies. I just don't know what I want to do now. I don't really need 2 trucks, but I'm definitely not ready to turn loose of my old '96 Dodge with the ultimately reliable Cummins in it. The much newer Ford rides much better, has far superior brakes on it and is a crew cab (which I wanted). I didn't want to buy an older 7.3 because most all of those have quite a few miles on them and everyone I know with one of those has had transmission issues as well as multiple injector issues. Even dealerships where I know the owners well told me to pass on the 6.4. Apparently they get terrible fuel economy and the particulate filters (that are supposed to last 100k before you get hit with a couple thousand dollar expense to replace) are failing at 30k miles or so. I thought about going back with a Cummins in a new Dodge but I heard the same thing about their 6.7; poor mileage and the same horrendous particulate filter problems.

The 6.0 in the '06 I have runs well enough completely stock to do what I need to do and I've averaged 14.3 MPG (hand calculated) in the thousand miles or so that I've had it. However, it is surging badly (even after changing both fuel filters), has the check engine light on, and it has an oil leak again. It has already had 3 injectors replaced, the turbo replaced and both head gaskets replace. I seem to be frustrated and running out of patience with the Ford diesel. Right now I couldn't imagine owning this truck if it were out of warranty. I don't drive a lot of miles, but I do like to keep a truck 10 years or so. I really question if this truck will stay together 10 more years. Worse, if I needed to jump in a truck and tow a trailer across the country and feel secure that I would have no trouble, right now I'd grab the much older Dodge.

Now I see why some people have bought new Ford diesels and then turned around and spent another $20k to have a Cummins installed in them at FordCummins.com: Home Maybe I ought to just work on finding me a good 5.9 Cummins to stick on the shelf until after this is out of warranty and needs help...

I went through a similar dilema. Ford was my brand and I thought everything else sucked. I couldn't even consider a 6L after reading and watching friends go thru all the problems. Then i considered buying a 450/550 with a 6-leaker in it and doing a Cummins conversion.

I bought a GMC3500 DMAX crewcab instead and couldn't be much happier. You could probably dump that 6L engine abortion and get a used '06 DMAX crewcab and join the happy club with me. :D

All that money you'll spend on a Cummins conversion.....would it really be worth it when there's a stock, factory-built truck that's the answer to what you're looking for?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #9  
To be blunt , the 6.0L is a DOG . Ive never seen an engine with so many problems . I would'nt consider going on a big trip with one . Do a bit of Googleing and you will feel sick like i did after buying one , dual mass flywheels , injectors , turbos , oil leaks , head gaskets , sensors you name it . If only i had done a bit of searching before hand . I'm afraid your going to loose big on this one , you will find that you can't sell it because most people know the problems . The Cummins may well be your only option now . I have heard that a lot of people are letting the insurance companies pay them off , if you get my meaning .

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #10  
From what I read on the new diesel pickups it sounds like my old 96 Dodge will be with me for many more years. :D Maybe it will get a paint job though.:D