It was only a matter of time

/ It was only a matter of time #21  
Builder----Does McDonalds sell more hamburgers because of the cheese---or is it the "BEEF"-----OR IS IT THE MARKETING!!!!!! Seems like someone is not listening to the public as to what they want and need in a truck!!!!! Something is diffenently wrong when you would rather use the old truck instead of the new one??????:) :) :confused:

/ It was only a matter of time #22  
MarkLeininger said:
Yes but Toyota recalls vehicles if the shine wears off the paint, Detroit only recalls cars if they lose a class action lawsuit for killing too many people. Let's talk about politics next...

I will repeat,can you back this up with facts??? You claim "Detroit only recalls cars if they lose a class action lawsuit for killing too many people." Please back this up with some facts.

/ It was only a matter of time #23  
Builder said:
I have owned a Toyota Landcruiser & a Nissan Pathfinder in the past and they really didn't impress me all that much. Pathfinder was really low on power, sucked down fuel. My old Toyota landcruiser burned so much oil, it needed an engine rebuild before 70,000 miles. I have a Volvo XC90 now and it has design flaws, too. Too many for a $52,000 car.

Going back to GM, probably for a Tahoe this fall. Great deals on large SUV's thanks to the tree huggers.

I guess everyone has different experiences.

No doubt, we scored on her new 4runner :cool:

I think that's what it boils down to.;)

/ It was only a matter of time #24  
Yes sir! I'd love to buy everything that is my favorite in every category, but sometimes saving a ton of money on a less-liked competitor makes the decision for you, doesn't it? :(

Frankly, I think the gas-prices bubble is bursting and things will moderate enough that we can once again own a gas guzzling Tahoe and be happier than being in a Prius :p

/ It was only a matter of time #26  
Builder said:
I'd argue the Firestone tires had more to do with the killings than the Explorer. Notice the rollovers were greatly reduced once the Firestones were removed?
Especially since they started inflating the tires properly.

/ It was only a matter of time #27  
Builder said:
Frankly, I think the gas-prices bubble is bursting and things will moderate enough that we can once again own a gas guzzling Tahoe and be happier than being in a Prius :p

Well, don't wait. Go buy now!! I see that my buy order for GM was filled today. It must have hit $9.90 at some point today since that was my 'buy' figure. Hopefully it doesn't do like my Ford stock; I had a buy order in for it at $4.90. Well, I take that back. I bought Ford at $4.90 several months ago and then had some offer a couple months ago to sell it all to Kirk Kerkorian's company at $9.50 so I did. Hey, I had a few thousand shares of it, so what the heck? As soon as I did, I put another 'buy' order in for it at $4.90 again. I suppose all things considered, I'm well ahead on Ford. Now I'm just betting that GM won't tank below $10 for long. Buy, buy, buy!! :D C'mon, you like GM stuff; don't you?!

/ It was only a matter of time #28  
GaryE said:
I will repeat,can you back this up with facts??? You claim "Detroit only recalls cars if they lose a class action lawsuit for killing too many people." Please back this up with some facts.

In the 70s we had the Ford Pinto:
The Center for Auto Safety
Interesting historical note, the Nixon Whitehouse tapes turned up a visit between Nixon, Ford and Firestone. The two told Nixon the traffic safety commission was going too hard on them, it would cost too much money to make the changes they wanted.

In the 80s we had the GM side saddle fuel tanks:
The Center for Auto Safety

In the 90s we have the Ford Explorer:
Ford Settles Explorer Rollover Lawsuits
Although the tire issue played a large role, one of the larger jury awards was made because the plaintiffs produced an internal Ford memo that calculated the projected cost of future litigation and compared it to the cost of the required engineering changes and decided it was cheaper to continue the litigation. I think that was the award that cost them $125M. Took 10 years to settle the class action lawsuit.

/ It was only a matter of time #29  
And you're naive enough to believe a foreign auto maker wouldn't do the same thing?

I seem to remember Audi having some pedal configuration problems they tried to hide. How about the Suzuki Samurai that rolled over way too easy? Did they stop building them? I'm sure many others exist.

/ It was only a matter of time #30  
MarkLeininger said:
In the 70s...
The key phrase in your original post was 'Detroit only recalls...', with the key word being 'only'. Your statement is wrong. Simple as that.