Weight capacity of f550 dump truck?

/ Weight capacity of f550 dump truck? #1  

JDeereman

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
I can't find it anywhere. maybe because the dump bodies can weigh different amounts but i'll ask here anyway. anyone out there know what is the typical net weight carrying capacity of a 2002 thru 2006 ford f550 diesel 4x4 dump truck? thanks.

/ Weight capacity of f550 dump truck? #2  
JDeereman said:
I can't find it anywhere. maybe because the dump bodies can weigh different amounts but i'll ask here anyway. anyone out there know what is the typical net weight carrying capacity of a 2002 thru 2006 ford f550 diesel 4x4 dump truck? thanks.

It is a CLASS 5 (GVW 16001 - 19500) truck...but it depends on the spring assemblies and the weight of the dump rig...and those vary by installer...:rolleyes:

/ Weight capacity of f550 dump truck?
PaulChristenson said:
It is a CLASS 5 (GVW 16001 - 19500) truck...but it depends on the spring assemblies and the weight of the dump rig...and those vary by installer...:rolleyes:
So in other words no real way to tell just by looking at it without a lot more info starting with the weight empty. anyone care to make an educated or wild a** guess at what the payload range might be to maybe the nearest 1000 lbs? thanks.

Theo

tlbuser said:
Sure, based on the 2008 info........9 - 10000 lbs carrying capacity

Ford Commercial Truck Body app. guide page 12
Thanks for your help. your link lead me to complete data below for the 2008 version of the f550. I should be able to get some weights on dump beds, etc and deduct from the payload values for a more exact estimate. just have to confirm it is close to the same for the older trucks i'm considering.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2008/vs_pdf/f350-550_08bb.pdf

Theo

/ Weight capacity of f550 dump truck? #6  
For some reason , it wouldn't let me direct link so...on the left side of the main page there is a button for "body app. guide" which lists typical bed weights, front axle ratios, etc. On page 12, a 2008 F550 4x4 diesel dump body, has a gross payload of ~10,000lbs depending on which cab, wheelbase and box combo. Now, how closely that relates back to your year, sorry not a big help there.

tlbuser said:
For some reason , it wouldn't let me direct link so...on the left side of the main page there is a button for "body app. guide" which lists typical bed weights, front axle ratios, etc. On page 12, a 2008 F550 4x4 diesel dump body, has a gross payload of ~10,000lbs depending on which cab, wheelbase and box combo. Now, how closely that relates back to your year, sorry not a big help there.
I see the bed weights now on page 8. thanks. looks like a 4 or 5 yard dump bed could go close to 3000 lbs. so with gross payload of around 11000 lbs, maybe the net payload is closer to 8000 lbs on an f550 4x4 dump truck yes?

Theo

/ Weight capacity of f550 dump truck? #8  
Its hard to tell by the numbers. The best bet is to look on the door tag to get your GVWR and then go to your nearest sand and gravel yard and just weigh the truck.

My father had an 86 GMC one ton dump that weighed around 7500 lbs empty with a 10,000 lbs GVWR. He replaced it in 1996 with a F350 deisel. The GVWR of the Ford was 12,000 lbs, but the empty weight was just over 10,000 lbs. I was amazed at how much more it weighed, yet was the same size and class truck. Both were 4x4 automatics too. It turns ot that the Ford had foldable "landscaper" sides on the dump bed and this added to the dry weight considerably. Also the GMC was a small block gas engine and the Ford was the first generation powerstroke diesel.

crashz said:
Its hard to tell by the numbers. The best bet is to look on the door tag to get your GVWR and then go to your nearest sand and gravel yard and just weigh the truck.

My father had an 86 GMC one ton dump that weighed around 7500 lbs empty with a 10,000 lbs GVWR. He replaced it in 1996 with a F350 deisel. The GVWR of the Ford was 12,000 lbs, but the empty weight was just over 10,000 lbs. I was amazed at how much more it weighed, yet was the same size and class truck. Both were 4x4 automatics too. It turns ot that the Ford had foldable "landscaper" sides on the dump bed and this added to the dry weight considerably. Also the GMC was a small block gas engine and the Ford was the first generation powerstroke diesel.
Understood. just trying to get a ballpark idea of how much a used f550 4x4 dump might benefit me over what I've got now. no two i've looked at seem to be exactly the same.

Theo