What Length Binder Chain

/ What Length Binder Chain #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
I've read a lot of threads on types of chain, grade rating, link size etc. but didn't notice chain overall length discussed. I'm about to buy binders and chain for my TN-70 w/ FEL tied to a Hillsboro 96" wide, 14K, deckover gooseneck, which I'm picking up this week. I'm going with 3/8" grade 70 chain, but not sure how long it should be. I wouldn't think you want a lot of extra loose chain laying around after tying her down, maybe a tripping hazard, plus its that much more to have to lug around. Standard lengths seem to be 10-14'. I would apply one chain at each corner of the machine, crossed to the opposite side of the trailer, plus one across the FEL. I'm leaning towards racheting binders if it matters, though not sure what makes them better than lever type. Any way if those experienced with this could weigh in with some advice, its greatly appreciated.

/ What Length Binder Chain #2  
Four 10' chains work for my setup...You be well served to load your machine on your trailer and see exactly the length YOU need. There are just to many variables to get a positive answer from people who have not seen your setup.

/ What Length Binder Chain #3  
What machine are you hauling?

I have 5/16 G70 chain that is in 16' lengths. Not sure how far "up" you need to reach or how far apart your tie-down points are, but be sure to measure it out to make sure a stingle chain will make it. To be honest, I'm pretty close on length with the 16' sections and my trailer is only 84" wide.

Take a look at what you're holding down before you buy all that 3/8 chain. It is a lot heavier (tougher to handle) than the 5/16 chain. Generally speaking, 5/16 chain is about 4,700# WLL and 3/8 chain is about 6,600# WLL. You get more capacity, but considering you could pick up most CARS and be within the WLL (generally less than half of the breaking strength) of the 5/16 chain, just check to make sure you're not going overkill.

Personally, I run two 5/16 G70 chains to the frame of my BX, crossing them as you speak of. The hooks are both on the frame and the binder is in the middle of the deck, taking up the slack. That way, any "loop" created by the chain slack is in the middle of the trailer, resting on the deck...not hanging anywhere in the air.

I have not chained down the FEL or BH separate from the tractor before, but I do make sure both are resting on the deck (including the BH bucket...I don't pin it up).

I use a over-center binder on one end and a ratchet binder on the other. I may change to two ratchet binders just so I don't have any concerns of the over-center binder releasing. But everyone uses the over-center binders...my concerns are probably unwarranted. It would be as simple as putting a small bungee loop on the handle to make me feel better. They are far quicker, cheaper, and simpler than the ratchet binders, so I actually prefer the over-centers but for their small lack of adjustability.

Not that I'm experienced, but those are my thoughts. I've towed my tractor nearly 1,000 miles this summer, collectively, so it has worked well for me so far.

/ What Length Binder Chain #4  
3/8" chain is pretty heavy, you may want to consider short lengths as it will be a handful to handle all the time.

I have longs and shorts, some 10' some 12' some 14' and some 20' on the trailer, just depends how I am configured, and sometimes what is closer too me on the trailer as to what I grab.

As to boomers or ratcheting binders, we run primarily ratcheting binders when my wife does it, she likes them better. Boomers are quicker. On several of my boomers I have small pieces of chain and a snap link to wrap around the chain and secure the boomer handle, although I do not think I have ever had one self release.

Boomers can hurt you if it is under heavy tension and it gets away from you. I watched a pipe fly across the trailer when my buddy was tightening with the pipe, he should have backed up and took one less link.

Good luck with whatever you go with, as you do more things, you will want some other chains etc. for different scenarios.

/ What Length Binder Chain
Good replies thank you. I guess I need to get the trailer, load the tractor and measure. I though it would be a little more straight forward, but then again, when is anything easy. I can see the need for different length and size chains based on whats being loaded ie, a bush hog, vs my lawn tractor, vs the TN. I want to get the primary chains first so will wait and measure. Also will get the ratcheting binders for these also, I don't need another knuckle buster....

/ What Length Binder Chain #6  
Way back when I used to haul steel beams out of Bethlehem Steel, someone showed me a trick with the "boomer" binders. I always used a piece of pipe to lever them into place. After I slid the pipe off the boomer handle, I would take the pipe and give the boomer handle a little whack. That would "seat" the binder so to speak and pretty much stop any handle release.

/ What Length Binder Chain
But QRTRHRS, (bet theres a story in there somewhere), what happens when you want to loosen the lever, does it tend to snap back?

/ What Length Binder Chain #9  
drivadesl said:
But QRTRHRS, (bet theres a story in there somewhere), what happens when you want to loosen the lever, does it tend to snap back?
I release the binders with a gloved hand carefully keeping my arms out of the way should one snap back which they sometimes do.

I never got hit by a binder but more than one rubber bungee has smacked me pretty good.