Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ?

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #1  

FritzII

Silver Member
Tractor
McCormick CT36HST w/FEL, Kubota G2160
I've got an 08 Chevy that doesn't seem to be charging the dump trailer battery when it's hooked up. I don't think my 04 did either.

Is it supposed to ?

The positive post ( on trailer ) has a fused hot wire and the breakaway brake wire along with the pump hot lead. I read 12.4 volts at the post. Same voltage when the wiring harness is not plugged in. The fuses are good in the truck and all the pins do the right thing in the wiring harness on the truck. I have not traced the wires in the trailer harness yet, but all the brakes and lights work like they should.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #2  
My truck doesn't charge the battery. I know you can set it up to do so. But as far as I know they don't come standard set up that way. I know this has come up in the past here on TBN. Try doing a search you may find the answer your looking for.

Matt T.:D

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #3  
Trailer Wiring Diagram For 4 way, 6 way and 7 way circuits

The battery on the trailer should be charged by your truck.

It does not get charged by the "brake" or "blue" wire, but usually by the "black" or "12V hot" wire.

I assume you have a 7 wire connector?

Also, be aware that while there "should" be a "standard" not everyone will do it that way.

Best I can suggest is to run down your wires, one at a time, and know that you have them hooked where they should go.

Any advice we give you here, really will fall short as I have run across too many things where folks have done things "non-standard"

Most common one I see is the black not where it is shown on the attachment, but placed in the center, have also seen the brake wire put there on one or two.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #4  
Even if it were set up to charge...I would be surprised if you would operate your truck's charging system enough to recharge the battery to overcome the drawdown of the lift unit...;)

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #5  
If you have 12v present at your 7 pin plug then you be able to charge the battery while in tow, it ain't gonna do as good as a standalone charger for short runs but it better than nothing.

Your truck "if" equiped like my 03 3500 was then you need a 35amp square fuse in the fuse box under the hood in order to get any charging done.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #6  
Chevy trucks do not come from the factory with a fuse in the trailer charging circuit. Check your manual for its location in the fuse block under the hood and place the required size fuse in place.

Also for best results and to keep from replacing the 30 amp fuse in the charge circuit try this.

Put a 20 amp, 12 volt circuit breaker at the dump trailers battery in the charge line (you mat have to install a wire from the trailer plug to the battery most dumps don't have it, they want you to buy a accessory kit or charge with a battery charger.) If you do not install it with the circuit breaker, after several consecutive dumps you will start drawing power thru the charge circuit and blow the fuse. With the breaker it will charge at 20 amps but will cut the charge circuit if you start to draw power to run the dump motor. It will reset it self after a few seconds.

I know this from experience with my trailer.....and the booming business I had during Hurricane Katrina debris clean-up. Brother-inlaw has a refuse dump and once I figured this out I installed.. ohhh 50 or 60 on other trailers at the dump!!

Good luck

Jeff

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #7  
I had to wire up my 02 Chevy van to charge. It actually came with heavy gauge wires run to the back from the factory but nothing at either end. I've got a Moritz dump and have never had an issue with power to operate the pack. I do have a good Optima battery that has amazing reserve power. I use the dump on my tractor to move dirt on the property and can dump full loads of dirt at least a dozen times without any charge till the next time its put on the truck. So I think a good quality battery can make all the difference. I'm wired straight off a 40amp fuse in the power center under the hood.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #8  
Normally, I do not pull mine far enough to get much charging done even if the truck was wired for it. I added a second battery for the reserve power and to minimize dragging the charger out.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #9  
I keep my trailer (not a dumper) on a small charger when not in use. Most trailers are probably not left connected to a vehicle long enough or often enough to keep a battery charged. The lead acid batteries last longer if kept fully charged most of the time.

/ Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Battery Charging automatically ? #10  
The guys are right, you need to get the fuse. Funny thing is its a odd size fuse and you can get it a Napa or Auto Zone but the cheapest place I have found is at the GM/Chevy dealers. Go figure, the dealer is cheaper.

Chris