Radiator drain won't drain

/ Radiator drain won't drain #1  

Foothill Rancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 2 Ford 8n's
Started to change coolant on my 97 Dodge today, opened the drain and nothing came out, thought it may have rust or some other gunk blocking it but it looks pretty clean.
What I don't remember is if it screws out more than a quarter turn, it sure wouldn't turn anymore and felt like it was suppose to stop there.
Anyone out there that has a Dodge or that has this problem?
This truck has been trouble free but in the last two weeks everything is going bad on it.

/ Radiator drain won't drain #2  
I don't own a Dodge, but on every radiator I've ever messed with you had to turn that "T" valve/stop a lot more than 1/4 of a turn to get full flow. I'd think 1/4 of a turn might get you a slow drip at most.

Is the valve metal or plastic?

If the valve is metal, the threads may be gummed up with corrosion preventing you from turning it any further. If so, try opening it until it stops, then try to force it a little bit more, maybe using some channel lock pliers, then turn it back a little, then try again, to gradually loosen it and get it open. Be careful; if you twist too hard with pliers, you might break the "T" off.

Alternatively, you should be able to drain the fluid sufficiently by removing the lower radiator hose. Be sure you have your tub or bucket handy. That's not as easy or as clean as using the valve, but may be quicker than messing around with a crapped up valve.

If you really want to get the valve working, you might want to remove the radiator so you can get it out in the open where you can see what's going on. It's not too hard to remove a radiator, especially if you're going to drain the coolant anyhow.

/ Radiator drain won't drain
The valve is metal but it's not like the old one's I've always worked with, they were a "T" as you say and the fluid came out straight in the middle of the wing. This one is like knob on a volt meter(best thing I could think of) and has the drain pointing down, looks like you could hook a small tube to drain.
I was thinking of pulling the lower hose, I don't want to replace the radiator due to a drain valve so it may have to be the way I change the fluid every couple of years.
The valve sure seems to have a stop at that quarter turn, but I agree with you and think it should spin alot more.

/ Radiator drain won't drain #4  
Randy,

Obviously you've had more experience than I credited you with. I've seen the kind of valve you're describing, but they were plastic. Whatever kind of valve it is, 1/4 turn to open it doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe some Dodge owner will chime in with some good advice.

This truck has been trouble free but in the last two weeks everything is going bad on it.
I know the feeling. I'm still running an '84 Ford F150. You fix everything and it's ok for a few months. Then the cycle repeats. Right?

/ Radiator drain won't drain #5  
And by the way, you probably didn't mean to post this under the "Trailers & Transportation" forum, which might be limiting the replies you get.

/ Radiator drain won't drain
You are certainly right, I did post in the wrong one, now, not only can't I change my coolant, but I can't find the way to move this thread.
Not been a good day.:(

/ Radiator drain won't drain #8  
If my memory serves me right, the valve doesn't turn very much. It's not like to ones you're used to. 1/4 turn sounds about right.

If I get a chance later today I'll go out there and look, (but I ain't draining it:D:D:D).

/ Radiator drain won't drain #9  
If it was me and I had a 97 any kind of vehichle I would think about taking the radiator out and having it cleaned also It has to have a lot of junk in it being its 11 years old. Just my 25 cents . You just cant get anything for 2 cents anymore. Gumballs are a nickel as are the old penny pretzels. V

/ Radiator drain won't drain #10  
Do you have a air compressor with a blow gun tip? You could try a really very fast, quick burp of air backwards thru the drain opening of that petcock with it opened that 1/4 turn that you mentioned(I am talking about 1/8 of a second, or as quick as you can "bump" the trigger on the blowgun). I would suggest loosen the radiator cap to the lst latch only. Wear safety glasses, too. My old Toyota pickup has a plastic drain valve that only turns 1/4 turn also, but as you turn it, the tee handle(valve) moves outward at the same time, thus opening the petcock/drain area. I have had many a petcock drains were this method will get the flow going on semi-tractors.