TRAILER WEIGHT

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #1  

bjess8

Bronze Member
Tractor
GRAND L3130
HI I just bought a 2005 chevy 2500 diesel and want to pull my
Kubota Grand L 3130,loader and fluid in tires,I was wondering what size trailer to buy.I figured go big so is 18ft 10,000 lbs big enough?Also what does the #10,000 mean?does it mean I can pull a #10,000 tractor on it?Really new with trailers could someone help me out?
THANKS

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #2  
what the 10,000# means is more likely the trailer's Gross weight meaning that the weight of the empty trailer plus the cargo on the trailer can equal up to 10,000# the way to check this would be to look at the tag on the trailer next to the VIN# plate...it will state whether its a 10,000# GVWR (gross weight) or 10,000# payload...i would guess that trailer is prolly around 2000# empty so that would mean that if the tag says 10,000LBS GVWR then you could load 8,000# on it if the GVWR is more like 12,000# then you can actually load 10,000# on it all this is very confusing to start out but once you get going you will pick it up fast

one thing to keep in mind is your state's CDL requirements...add the GVWR of your trailer to the GVWR of your truck (located on the door sticker) if the two numbers together are greater than 26000# you more than likely need a Class A Commercial Driver's License...but that my friend is a whole other topic/thread in itself

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #3  
I own a similarly sized tractor (about 4500 lbs with FEL and one implement) and I own a trailer which is identical to your specs. My 18' long car hauler style trailer is a 10,000# rated trailer which means the total weight of it, that is the gross vehicle weight, can be 10,000#s or less. I weighed the trailer at a truck scale and found it to weigh 2500lbs empty. Leaving me with 7500 lbs of cargo carrying capacity.

When loaded with my tractor, the trailer's axles alone weigh 6600 lbs. The tongue weight is about 10% of that for an additional 700 and a total weight of 7300# which is way under the 10k# allowed.

Your tractor will put the typical lower rated 7000lb car trailer at its limits and I don't advise you to buy a trailer that you plan to max out from day one.

Up until recently my truck was limiting since it could not tow 10,000 lbs but now I own an F350 with plenty of capacity and a very smooth and straight tow.

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #4  
Go to at least a 20 foot trailer. If bumper pull. If you go for a goose neck you can go longer and larger weight rating.:D

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #5  
bjess8,

I just bought a Dodge 2500 diesel and a trailer for my TC 40. The minimum trailer that you want to spend your money on is a 10,000lb trailer that is 18ft long. This is what I just got. I borrowed a coworker's 18ft trailer that was rated at 10,000lbs. I can just get my TC 40 wtih fel and an attachment on the trailer. If you are buying new then you might want to look at a 12,000lb trailer that is 20ft long. If you are like me, my wallet made the decision and I got a decent deal on a better built trailer that was in new like condition.

I tow my tractor to often do multiple tasks at a hunting cabin and I would love to have enough room to haul more attachments. With my current setup, I always have someone tow an attachment or two with a smaller trailer.

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #6  
I have a 'bota L3410 with fel and cutter on an 18' trailer, it leaves about 3' of cutter sticking over the edge. I'd get a 20 or 22' trailer. 10k is plenty for 99% of the time.

jb

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #7  
Here's what I do, not right for everyone, but an option:

I use a 14,000 Lb Gross weight dump trailer (10K payload). It's only 14' long so with a blade on the back of the tractor my loader sticks out the front a little. The trailer has a ledge that it sits on just fine though. I give up a little room on the trailer but get the ability to haul and dump 5 tons of dirt,gravel, or whatever. There are 16 footers out there too.

When I set out to do a job somewhere I load an extra implement into the back of the truck with the forks (depending on the implements I can fit two), hook one up to the 3 pt and pick up the loader bucket with the forks and it rides there. What I end up with when I get there is everything I need to get some work done.

In the pic I was heading out to do a gravel driveway. The blade is on the tractor, the rake is on the truck, and the loader bucket is straped to the forks. When I got there I unloaded the tractor, set the bucket down got the rake off of the truck then switched from the forks to the bucket until I was ready to leave. I can run out and get loads of stone or move dirt instead of the trailer just takin up space for the rest of the job.

Another benefit of this is how much free material you can get. You go way to the top of the list for free fill dirt, wood chips, or whatever when they don't have to do a thing but let you take it. You bring the tractor, load the trailer as many trips as you want then load up the tractor and leave when you're done. No hassle for them.

You do loose some hauling size compared to a transport only trailer so it isn't right for everyone but is another option to consider. Of course if you go goose neck you can get 20' plus....

Oh ya, you'll find lots of "new freinds" to:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Trailer 1 small.jpg
    Trailer 1 small.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Trailer small.jpg
    Trailer small.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
   / TRAILER WEIGHT #8  
PLENTY...is different for different folks. I chose to go for the 12,000 lb gross weight 18 ft trailer (bumper pull) with diamond plate steel deck. I don't only haul my medium small Kubota cab tractor with implements. If I had it to do over again it would be 20 ft long.

I also have a 2x7x12 ft box dump trailer with ramps that will haul my tractor but without longer 3PH implements. It is rated at 10,000 gross. I have to raise the FEL pretty high to clear everything when tractor is on dumper. There are interior as well as exterior D rings for tie down on the dumper. Both trailers are really handy and their capabilities overlap but there are many jobs that lie completely in the domain of one or the other but not both.

Depending on what all you need to do you may not be able to reasonably do them with either of the two types of trailer alone.

Pat

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #9  
KML, are you using an F150 to pull a 14k trailer?

/ TRAILER WEIGHT #10  
KML, are you using an F150 to pull a 14k trailer?

Yep, and I run with scissors:eek:

Only when I'm doing light stuff. The tractor and the trailer only weighs 6500lbs wich is fine for the little Ford. I use an older Chevy 1 ton for when I haul full loads.