Max Brake Controller????????????

/ Max Brake Controller???????????? #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Does any of you guys or gals have any experience with the Max Brake Controller? Here is the site: http://www.maxbrake.com/

I install quite a few brake controllers. I use everything from Reese to Prodigy and have never been happy with any of them after buying my 2006 Ford PSD F-350 with its tow command system. It is hands down the best one I have used and I have probably used 50 different controllers in my 20 years of towing.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Ford Tow Command System it uses a pressure sensor mounted in the master cylinder to apply proportional braking to the trailer brakes. The harder you press the brake pedal the more power is sent to the trailer brakes. It takes very little adjustment compared to aftermarket controllers and allows the brakes to work in reverse without use of the override switch mounted on most controllers. This is important in my line of towing since a 20,000# or heavier boat will pull a 1 ton truck down the ramp no problem, even in park. GM also has a built in trailer brake option now but I am not sure how it works but I assume they did as Ford did and use a pressure switch on the master cylinder.

I saw this Max Brake system being installed on TV last week and was very impressed. It looks like it uses the same technology as the Ford system. It was tested against a Prodigy P3 and was able to best the stopping distances by 40% on average. They were using a 1 ton dually and a tri axle goose neck car haul trailer. The Prodigy P3 took over 500 feet from 55 to stop and the Max Brake took just over 300 feet.

So enough back ground info. Has anyone used one or installed one? The site says its a easy install, about 1 hour. They have a video to show how to do it on a 7.3 Ford.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Max Brake Controller???????????? #2  
I have a Jordan BC in my truck ('92 F250HD 7.3l Turbo Diesel) and it is the best I have used. It does the proportional thing without cutting into the brake lines. Unfortunately they stopped production to come with a new model that has not been released yet though...It's made in the USA also!

Doesn't really answer your question though, sorry.

/ Max Brake Controller????????????
You do not have to cut into the brake line. All you do is remove one line from the master cylinder and install a "T". On one side goes the break line you removed and on the other side goes the pressure sensor. Here is a pic of the system and how you install the "T". All you do once its installed is loosen the pressure sensor then pump the brakes and tighten to bleed. No need to bleed the brake line because it remains full of fluid.

I have used the Jordan. Its the one that has a linkage that connects to the brake pedal itself and is better than some but is no match for the Tow Command System in my opinion. I am guessing the Max Brake system will be a better yet.

Chris

Attachments

• max-brake-pics.jpg
    max-brake-pics.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 823
   / Max Brake Controller???????????? #4  
Not cutting the brake lines is definitely a plus over another type like this I read about...

How much is it? If it work as good as the Jordan, than I can't see while you would not like it. I have no experience with Ford's Tow Command.

Have you searched in any RV forums?

/ Max Brake Controller???????????? #5  
Finally a brake system that does what your foot is doing on the tow vehicle. I always said the old hydraulic tap ins had to work better than straight electric but I'll bet mfgs don't really like people tapping in as some were done in an unsafe way. Thanks for the info on that controller.

I have searched a few sites and found some good info on it but mostly company supplied testimonials. I am sure they would not post negative stuff so I trust the guys and gals here at this site so thought I would give it a try.

As for cost its about $319 or about twice as much as the Prodigy P3. That includes everything like the pressure switch, T, and even the vehicle specific plug to tap into the factory wiring under the dash. By the way the Ford Tow Command is $250, a bargain. I am guessing the guys with 2005 Super Duty's with out it are kicking themselves in the rear for not getting it. I know my uncle is on his 2005 F-350 4x4 V-10. But if it works better I would be willing to pay for it. I tow with my 99 Powerstroke, my 2004 Powerstroke, and my 2006 Powerstroke plus a 2007 F-150. I have a Reese in one, 2 Prodigy's, and the Ford Tow Command. I will say the Tow Command will stop the same trailer much shorter than the other two with out the jerky-ness and fade. I am reading this will give the same results.

Chris

/ Max Brake Controller???????????? #7  
How does such a hydraulic system account for the actions of the ABS system on the vehicle? With a hydraulic brake controller, if you push your foot all the way to the floor, the trailer brakes will probably lock up, but the ABS controller may only be actuating the vehicle brakes 10% of the time if the pavement is slippery.

Actually it works very well. It will actually prevent a jack knife and shorten stopping distance just as anti-lock brakes on our vehicles has. On the Ford system and the Brake Max system as your vehicles wheels lose traction the anti-lock system modulates the hydraulic pressure in the master cylinder. In these cases it would also cycle the trailer brakes preventing lock up thus shortening the total stopping distance because the pressure switch is installed between the master cylinder and the caliper of the tow vehicle.

At least this is the way I understand it.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Max Brake Controller???????????? #9  
I think it's probably pretty good, but anyone who installs one better hope that little "T" fiiting is built to some tough specs. If that T lets go, you'll lose all your brakes. :eek:

I don't like the idea of modifying my brake lines, especially if it's anything like the cheap Chinese fittings I have seen let go in other plumbing systems.

I'm not sure about the ABS working on trailer because that usually requires an ABS sensor to be mounted on an axle. Maybe there's a way they get around that. Not sure.

I agree with you that you could loose all your brakes but if you are thinking when or if it ever happens you simply reach down and activate the manual lever on the brake controller unit itself. In this case you would be using the trailer brakes to haul down the entire load so stopping distance would probably be 5 times that of normal. In the end you are not modifying anything per say. You are just putting in a "T" fitting and then reattaching the factory brake line on one end and installing the supplied pressure switch on the other.

As for the anti-lock thing. On my Ford with the Tow Command System when the trucks wheel brakes go into anti lock mode it is modulating the pressure coming from the master cylinder, thus also modulating the pressure to the brake controllers pressure switch. I am assuming the same would happen with this aftermarket system.

Builder or others with 2500 or 3500 GM trucks, do any of you have the factory brake controller? If so how does it work? I always assumed it was like the Fords but not sure.

Chris