Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #11  
I have the issue both empty and loaded. It's more noticable while empty. It's a solid axle. Can you explain the toe in? I haven't looked at the rear suspension. I didn't think that would affect front end sway can you explain it?

Matt T.:eek:

Just a thought- do you have a rear sawy bar? If so make sure it's not loose or broken.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250
I don't think I have a rear sway bar.I'll check in the morning to be sure.

Matt T.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #13  
I went bigger with my 05 F250 and had similar issues, although not as bad as yours sound, until I went with a double shock steering stabilizer. It immediately smoothed out.

Good luck!

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #14  
I have the issue both empty and loaded. It's more noticable while empty. It's a solid axle. Can you explain the toe in? I haven't looked at the rear suspension. I didn't think that would affect front end sway can you explain it?

Matt T.:eek:

Toe-in is where the front of your tires are slightly together, and the back of the tires are slightly apart. Imagine if you will, you were to stand on your hood, facing forward, and looked down on your tires. The tires would not be parallel to each other. At the front, the tires are closer together, while the back is farther apart.

Not enough toe in, and it will wander. Too much and they'll scrub.

I have had a steering stabilizer shock go bad; in my case, I noticed more shake, not wandering. That might not be the case all the time though.

How big of tires did you put on? Did you jump from stock to 35" tall or something? Even then, a good alignment would take care of it.

I went bigger with my 05 F250 and had similar issues, although not as bad as yours sound, until I went with a double shock steering stabilizer. It immediately smoothed out.

Good luck!

I assume you meant bigger with the tires? What brand stabilizer did you go with?

Matt T.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #16  
If the problem started when, or soon after you put on the new tires the problem could be in the tires. 1) to light of tire, side walls not holding up. 2) Air pressure , alittle up or down in PSI can make a difference. 3) I have had new tires that were junk, try swapping front & rear tires.

As far as the rear suspension anything lose could make the truck unstable. Take a look at the sway bar, spring bushings, axle u-bolts. The reason I mentioned the possibilty is because you've pretty much checked the front and these things can be looked at fairly easy. I had an older truck that the u-bolts loosened and it really wandered !

I might have missed, how many miles on the truck ? Just curious.

The issue was present with and without the new tires. I did check the air in all tires and it's fine.

Matt T.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #18  
The issue was present with and without the new tires. I did check the air in all tires and it's fine.

Matt T.

What size tires did you go to? Are they "E" rated?

It's a solid axle, so it is probably either the toe-in, the dampner, or the steering box adjustment. Since it is so new, I would have the elignment checked. If it is still not right, then add and/or replace the steering dampner. Alignment is relatively cheap to check; have them check the steering box while they have it on the rack(it should be adjustable for gear lash). Steering dampner is not too expensive.

The steering damper is less than a year old. I went from 265 to 285 both were load range E. I did notice today that the play seems to be in the steering wheel. I can move it 3 to 4" in either direction with out a change in the wheels. So maybe the steering box?

Matt T.:confused:

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #20  
The steering damper is less than a year old. I went from 265 to 285 both were load range E. I did notice today that the play seems to be in the steering wheel. I can move it 3 to 4" in either direction with out a change in the wheels. So maybe the steering box?

Matt T.:confused:

I made the same change on my Dodge. 285's are just a tad taller.

How much wheel play do you have if the truck is shut off, no power steering, just sitting in the driveway?