Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250
One observation I had today was on the tire. The sidewalls are not as stiff as the stock tire. So while changing lanes at highway speeds I can feel the flex in the sidewalls.

Matt T.:D

No, they're E range but wider than stock. I haven't been super impressed with the tires overall. I'm thinking of going back to stock. I'm also looking into rear sway bars and new shocks. I'm thinking of getting a double steering dampner. If I don't notice any improvement I'll probably replace the steering box.

Matt T.;)

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #34  
I have a 03 f-350 that had the same problem. I changed ball joints 4 times before 60,000 miles. The set in there now are OEM and have lasted 25,000. To check your ball joints, jack up the truck and watch the ball joint when the tire leaves the ground. Any movement is significantly magnified with the weight of the engine and highway speed.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #35  
My '01 Dodge 4x4 came stock with Michelin tires, in basically a street tread. Worked ok for the street. When they wore, I replaced them with a stock set of take-offs from the dealer(My Dad worked there). They were BFG Rugged trails. Handled well.

After that, I got a set of Big-O Bigfoot XT mud treads. I had had a set of 35x12.50's on my previous Ford. They were great on that truck. Well, I got stock size this time, but they had a partially redsigned tread. They were aweful! Had less than 100 miles on them when I returned them! Put Big-O Bigfoot AT's on instead; they were an ok tire.

When those wore, I got the current set. They are 285's, in a Dick Cepek Mud Country's. They have been a great tire. Larger than stock, but still fits stock rim fine. Handle nice, and work really well off road. I did go with a "D" rating, but the overall weight rating of the tire is the same as my stock tires. I thought they would squish a bit. But, I have had the truck and trailer loaded down with rock, gravel, tractor etc, and they worked just fine. They did have the "E" rating in the 275, but I wanted a little bigger tire.

So far, when these wear, I plan to go with another set of Dick Cepeks.

Dick Cepek Radial Mud Country

No, they're E range but wider than stock. I haven't been super impressed with the tires overall. I'm thinking of going back to stock. I'm also looking into rear sway bars and new shocks. I'm thinking of getting a double steering dampner. If I don't notice any improvement I'll probably replace the steering box.

Matt T.;)

Robert, those are pretty cool looking tires. It's also good to hear your positive experiences. I'm being told by severel sources that ford diesels have an adjustable. I'm not going to attempt to make adjustments myself. It's just too critical of an adjustment to me to make.

Matt T.:D

Builder, I still have my stockers mounted on my stck rims.

Matt T.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #39  
The higher and wider one goes the more unstable its going to be, add a trailer and then its all about leverage especially if your ball sits higher than your trailer when level. Have a friend who tows his 25ft trailer with 5 ATVs, not alot of wieght at all but he has his jacked up pretty high and the ball is a good 5 inches higher than it should be while towing, you can fell the truck Porpise up and down going down the road. Bad thing is he really dosnt think its that bad. I told his wife that he keeps driving 65mph with it set up like that... more than likely your going to get a call saying he has crashed. So her eyes lit up and said " Life insurance policy!!!"

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #40  
I had a Dodge truck(1988) that wandered like that also. Had it checked and rechecked. Dealer just said it was normal for the Dodges. Never bought another one since. The company I work for uses Fords exclusively in the states. All Fords I have driven seemed to have the same problem. Kind of liked to follow any little difference in the road contour. I had to really keep my eye on the road and make little minor corrections all the time to keep the trailer from swaying or even empty to keep the truck centered in my lane. I drive a Chevy now and dont have that problem. I have to admit that I havent driven a Ford in over 7 years, since I have been out of the country working for several years, so they could be better now.