Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I've got a question for you guys. I know Ford superdutys are known to have front end issues but this one seems erratic. My 04 f-250 seems to wander alot at high speeds. I've got newer ball joints sway bars assorted front end bushings and a new shimmy shock. I also have new tires and rims a few sizes larger than stock ( but it was just as bad with the stockers). I've jacked up the front end and shook the wheels and all seems well. The dealer told me they couldn't find anything but I'm not too confident in there techs. The truck defanitlty wanders alot more now than ever before. I've also checked my power steering fluid and all seems ok. Today I jacked up the front end and had my wife turn the wheel to see if there was any play or a dead band in the tie rods etc. And still nothing, I'm not going to take it to a dealer just to have them tell me there's nothing wrong. I'll tell you from a safety stand point while pulling my 14k GN it's quite unnerving to have all that slop in the wheel. It isn't noticeable at normal speeds. What could be the issue? I'm planning on adding riderite airbags in the rear but first I'd really like to get this problem fixed.

Matt T.:confused:

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #2  
How's your steering stabilizer/dampner? The one on my last Ford was about the same size as the hydraulic hood assists. I put a bigger one on and it really helped. What also happens when you put a heavy trailer on like that is the front ires make less impact on the road surface. Some feeling of loss of control should be expected.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #3  
Have you had some proper wheel alignments for all the changes when the truck is in the loaded/towing mode?:)

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250
The Shimmy shock is the dampner and it's new it's the size of the frontend shocks. The alignment was done when the new tires were installed. The sway isn't just when towing it's under normal driving unloaded.

Matt T.

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #6  
What speed does the wander start? High speed can mean so many things 70 or 90????

Has anybody checked the rear for any broken or loose components...like spring shackles, busted U bolts...etc

At around 55 through 75.

Matt T.:D

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #8  
At around 55 through 75.

Matt T.:D

Double check the toe-in. Should be able to mark the tires with chalk, measure, and then rotate them 180 degrees and measure again.

It sounds like there is not enough toe-in.

This is a solid front axle right? Not the twin I-beam with leaf springs?

/ Excessive front end sway (wandering) in an f-250 #9  
Do you have this problem empty or when pulling your trailer ?

Have you checked all of your rear suspension ?

I have the issue both empty and loaded. It's more noticable while empty. It's a solid axle. Can you explain the toe in? I haven't looked at the rear suspension. I didn't think that would affect front end sway can you explain it?

Matt T.:eek: