Need Trailer Advice

/ Need Trailer Advice #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I need to haul a New Holland 2420 (4060) and a Bush Hog 286. NH may also have a NH 270TL loader on it while being hauled. Tractor weighs 4300 lbs. Loader about 900 lbs. BH 286, 950 lbs. Anyone have any input to pass along? Will I have to go the way of a goose-neck to haul this setup? I don't really want a goose-neck if I can avoid it. Will be pulling with a 3/4 ton truck. What would be a fair price for a used trailer that will haul this combo?

/ Need Trailer Advice #2  
You can get a 10k rated bumper pull, but you will be close to the weight limit. I have a 12k, 22' bumper pull. Prices vary as does quality. Just make sure your hitch, ball, and ball mount are rated for your trailer, and don't forget to get a brake controller. JC

/ Need Trailer Advice #3  
As stated before the price will be all over the place. Make sure you know what you are getting. A guy on this site bought a used trailer. Well got it home and it needed new tires, bearings, lights, wiring, brakes, and a fresh paint job. All he thought it needed was the paint job but bought a money pit. He could have bought a new one and had some beer money for what he now has in this 20 year old beat up trailer.

If you are close to Southern MO look up trailer manufactures in Sikeston MO. It is the trailer capital and the prices are unbelievable. You can get a new trailer there cheaper than I could get a used one here in Indiana so I made the drive.

Here is a link:
sikeston mo trailer - Google Search

I got mine from Jerry Jones Trailers.

Chris

/ Need Trailer Advice #4  
Might as well call it 6500lbs. A 12K bumper pull will do the job. Points to consider however are the truck hitch and most of all the tongue load. If its a bolt on hitch then its probably a 10K one all though you can buy 12K bolt on hitches. To control the tongue load I would get a long trailer like 22-24 footer. That way you have a chance at balancing the load on the trailer. A short trailer will force you to have possibly an excessive tongue load. And even though just about everyone and everything will say 10% on the tongue my experience says that isn't necessary on longer trailers with long tongues. I'm usually at about 6 or 7% and my 24' trailer perfect. I'm also partial to deckovers especially for tractors. If you've ever loaded a drop deck with equipment within an inch of the fenders you'll know what I mean. This pic of my tractor is an example of how the long trailer hauls the load and the truck just pulls it. That tractor is about 8500lbs. as it sits with the splitter on the back and loaded tires. I would expect to pay at least $2000.00 for anything worth dragging home used.
328031776.jpg

/ Need Trailer Advice #5  
I would say a 12k 24' long would be good. But a 10k 20' may squeak by. You need to measure from the front lip of the bucket to the down position on the backhoe. Yes, both the FEL and BH buckets must be on the deck to make the men in blue happy.

A deck over would be nice, but is not needed. But they are nice.

Plan on spending $35-4500 for a good used unit with good brakes, tires, etc.

/ Need Trailer Advice #6  
I have a 22 foot deck over. It hauls my TC40 great. The only problem is that most of the 10-12000 lb deck overs are built wrong for our use. The axles are placed to far back to balance the load. They are made to be hauled by a larger truck, you can tell by the hitch height and tongue load. if they would move the axle 2 or 3 foot farther forward and lower the hitch 10 inches they would be better.

I tow mine with a 2500hd and it works fine. I agree whole hearted with the fender statement and with a deck overs versatility.

Jeff

/ Need Trailer Advice #7  
Bumper pull would be fine. Pulling it would be a cinch. Stopping it would be my concern. :eek:

/ Need Trailer Advice
As stated before the price will be all over the place. Make sure you know what you are getting. A guy on this site bought a used trailer. Well got it home and it needed new tires, bearings, lights, wiring, brakes, and a fresh paint job. All he thought it needed was the paint job but bought a money pit. He could have bought a new one and had some beer money for what he now has in this 20 year old beat up trailer.

If you are close to Southern MO look up trailer manufactures in Sikeston MO. It is the trailer capital and the prices are unbelievable. You can get a new trailer there cheaper than I could get a used one here in Indiana so I made the drive.

Here is a link:
sikeston mo trailer - Google Search

I got mine from Jerry Jones Trailers.

Chris

I have on occasion gone through Sikeston. If I'm back that way soon I'll be sure and check-out some of the trailer manufactures. I am going up to Branson this weekend. There is a Branson Trailer Manufacturing in Ozark, Missouri. I'm going to try and stop in there. Here is a link to their Ebay store: eBay Store - Branson Trailer: Car Hauler, Utility, ATV. Anybody dealt with them?

/ Need Trailer Advice
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to know that I won't have to buy a goose-neck. Thanks for pointing out the advantages of a "deck-over" trailer.

SouthernX

/ Need Trailer Advice
I have on occasion gone through Sikeston. If I'm back that way soon I'll be sure and check-out some of the trailer manufactures. I am going up to Branson this weekend. There is a Branson Trailer Manufacturing in Ozark, Missouri. I'm going to try and stop in there. Here is a link to their Ebay store: eBay Store - Branson Trailer: Car Hauler, Utility, ATV. Anybody dealt with them?

Hmmm, I just visited their web-site (Branson Trailer Manufacturing) and I don't think they are going to have what I am looking for. I'll call them, they might.

SouthernX