Silverado Front Hub Assembly

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #1  

GIJOE

Gold Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL
I need to change the right front hub assembly on my 3/4t 4x4. I have found two different brands of hubs in this area, National and Timken. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Thanks.

Joe

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #2  
Timken is a decent component and carries a one year warranty.

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #3  
I sell National at the parts store... Federal Mogul owns both brands... Wouldn't be surprised to find the same part in two different boxes. I know the part#s are the same unless the store
selling has it's own numbering system. They seem to do fine, hardly get any back for warranty. I'd go for the store with the best service.

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #4  
Just make sure the Timken bearing sets are NOT made in China!!!

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #5  
I just replaced the front wheel bearing and hub assembly on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The factory OEM unit I removed was a Timken brand and the brand new replacement from V.I.P Auto was also Timken.

The truck has over 70k hard miles and these Timken units look to be well built. The other wheel bearing looked good and probably has another 30k or so left in it. I also have four wheel ABS and the replacement unit came with a new wheel speed sensor and wire up to the connector which even included all the little plastic clips to hold the wire in place that I broke removing the old one. :D

The unit cost me $229 and was in-stock on the shelf. I got prices ranging from $220-$292. Make sure you call around.

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #6  
Seems to be a common replacement item on the Dodge trucks. My neighbor has had to replace both of his front bearings on his 2005 Ram 1500.

Chris

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #7  
Be sure to torque the axle nut to spec. I have seen many new bearings fail whithin a year or so because somebody got carried away with an impact wrench, which overloads the bearing. I have been guilty of this myself in my novice years, and have even seen dealer techs do it to cheat the flat rate. I still take the nut off with an impact, and even run it down till it barely touches during reassembly, BUT I ALWAYS TORQUE IT WITH A TORQUE WRENCH, after I have wire brushed and cleaned the threads.

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #8  
Be sure to torque the axle nut to spec. I have seen many new bearings fail whithin a year or so because somebody got carried away with an impact wrench, which overloads the bearing. I have been guilty of this myself in my novice years, and have even seen dealer techs do it to cheat the flat rate. I still take the nut off with an impact, and even run it down till it barely touches during reassembly, BUT I ALWAYS TORQUE IT WITH A TORQUE WRENCH, after I have wire brushed and cleaned the threads.

Excellent advice Ryan,,, Impacts can ruin a bearing assembly in short order!! Changed out bearings on my 2002 Silverado last year,,, and ended up ruining a brand new bearing assembly in the process. Had to eat the $169.00, and go buy another one thanks to being overzealous with the impact!! :rolleyes: Luckily I learned the error of my ways quickly,, and did it right on the passenger side !! :D

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #9  
Yes. Always torque axle nuts. I think on those Silverado pickups the front hub torque is around 180 ft-lbs. Just so you know what kind of torque wrench to get.

/ Silverado Front Hub Assembly #10  
Most people usually over look this maintance item & never take the bearings out & grease them. I take mine out & pack them about every 2-3 years. This goes for my car/ tractor trailer also