Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL

Default Silverado Front Hub Assembly

I need to change the right front hub assembly on my 3/4t 4x4. I have found two different brands of hubs in this area, National and Timken. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Thanks.

Joe
    The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Default Re: Silverado Front Hub Assembly

Timken is a decent component and carries a one year warranty.
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

I sell National at the parts store... Federal Mogul owns both brands... Wouldn't be surprised to find the same part in two different boxes. I know the part#s are the same unless the store
    selling has it's own numbering system. They seem to do fine, hardly get any back for warranty. I'd go for the store with the best service.
    Scott

Tractor
    John Deere

Just make sure the Timken bearing sets are NOT made in China!!!

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

I just replaced the front wheel bearing and hub assembly on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The factory OEM unit I removed was a Timken brand and the brand new replacement from V.I.P Auto was also Timken.

The truck has over 70k hard miles and these Timken units look to be well built. The other wheel bearing looked good and probably has another 30k or so left in it. I also have four wheel ABS and the replacement unit came with a new wheel speed sensor and wire up to the connector which even included all the little plastic clips to hold the wire in place that I broke removing the old one.

The unit cost me $229 and was in-stock on the shelf. I got prices ranging from $220-$292. Make sure you call around.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Seems to be a common replacement item on the Dodge trucks. My neighbor has had to replace both of his front bearings on his 2005 Ram 1500.

Chris

Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4

Be sure to torque the axle nut to spec. I have seen many new bearings fail whithin a year or so because somebody got carried away with an impact wrench, which overloads the bearing. I have been guilty of this myself in my novice years, and have even seen dealer techs do it to cheat the flat rate. I still take the nut off with an impact, and even run it down till it barely touches during reassembly, BUT I ALWAYS TORQUE IT WITH A TORQUE WRENCH, after I have wire brushed and cleaned the threads.

Tractor
    John Deere 4120

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan03 View Post
    Be sure to torque the axle nut to spec. I have seen many new bearings fail whithin a year or so because somebody got carried away with an impact wrench, which overloads the bearing. I have been guilty of this myself in my novice years, and have even seen dealer techs do it to cheat the flat rate. I still take the nut off with an impact, and even run it down till it barely touches during reassembly, BUT I ALWAYS TORQUE IT WITH A TORQUE WRENCH, after I have wire brushed and cleaned the threads.
    Excellent advice Ryan,,, Impacts can ruin a bearing assembly in short order!! Changed out bearings on my 2002 Silverado last year,,, and ended up ruining a brand new bearing assembly in the process. Had to eat the $169.00, and go buy another one thanks to being overzealous with the impact!! Luckily I learned the error of my ways quickly,, and did it right on the passenger side !!
    JD 4120, FEL, BrushHog, FEL forklift attachment, MarkHam Welding Toothbar, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch,,Farm Force 6ft. box blade

Tractor
    BX 24

Yes. Always torque axle nuts. I think on those Silverado pickups the front hub torque is around 180 ft-lbs. Just so you know what kind of torque wrench to get.
    -Matt

"There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

"I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Most people usually over look this maintance item & never take the bearings out & grease them. I take mine out & pack them about every 2-3 years. This goes for my car/ tractor trailer also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast