BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #1  

rayn

The deck needs replacement on my 16' car trailer. Is there an easy way to replace. I see it has welded bolts going through the wood. Thank You

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #2  
I have a Big Tex 70CH and I replaced the wood on it. The bolts that held the wood on were self threading torx head bolts. I just backed them out, no problem.
I didn't worry about putting the bolts back into the same holes, I just drilled all new holes, though the board and into the crossmember and run the bolts back in. I used an impact wrench. Sure made it easier.

Where are the bolts welded?

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #3  
My 5yo BigTex 70PI are also torx screws.

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT
The deck needs replacement on my 16' car trailer. Is there an easy way to replace. I see it has welded bolts going through the wood. Thank You

I checked again and it appears they are screws that rusted. Once removed will the new boards just slide in or do I have to cut off the end plate and reweld?

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #5  
If it's like mine and the ends of the boards fit into c-channels, you can put most of them in at an angle and push them sideways into place. The last few can be bowed up in the middle to get the ends in. (Sounds harder then it really is.)

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #6  
If it's like mine and the ends of the boards fit into c-channels, you can put most of them in at an angle and push them sideways into place. The last few can be bowed up in the middle to get the ends in. (Sounds harder then it really is.)

Thanks for this advice. My trailer is also in need of new wood and I've been wondering about how to do this. Nice to hear that it's doable and that the boards will bend enoungh to fit into the ends.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #7  
I have replaced the deck on one trailer and have another in progress right now. The first one was done the way Davkir described. After that experience, I decided to cut off the end plate for the second one. The first one was a 12' Utility. Perhaps if it had been longer, there would have been more flex in the boards. Cutting the six spot welds on the end plate (actually a piece of 2 inch angle) with a 7 inch grinder with cutoff disk and then rewelding it is a lot less painful.
The boards were held down to a crossmember with Torx head self tapping screws. Most of them broke off when I tried to remove them. I just ground down the stubs once the boards were removed then drilled new holes to put in new screws.
I noticed that the cross member the Torx screws are fastened to is much lighter that the other cross members. That tells me it is not a structural piece of the trailer so it most likely doesn't matter if it has a bunch of holes in it. It is there to hold the deck boards in place.
Have fun with your project and let us know which way you went with the board repalcement.

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #8  
Hey Rayn,
I sent you an email before I read the rest of these posts.
Pretty much everyone has the same experience I had.

Y'all should quit buyin' them short trailers. Long ones is easier to change the deck boards. ;)

Let us know how it turns out for you

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT #9  
Thanks for this advice. My trailer is also in need of new wood and I've been wondering about how to do this. Nice to hear that it's doable and that the boards will bend enoungh to fit into the ends.

Thank you,
Eddie

Eddie,

Once you take the old boards out, measure the length and cut the boards minus 1/2 in. About 2/3 of the deck boards will slide in easy. When the boards starts to bind, trim off opposing corners, and they will slide in. On the last 2 or 3 boards, cut the boards to length minus 1 in. Then with some help, make a pry board and wedge, put the top end in place, and and stand on the other end with a sledge, as the pry board is raised high enough, the board you are standing on will slide in. A crowbar might be useful to guide it in place. You can also get a number of smaller pieces of the same width to see how many boards you will need. If you space them out just so, you might get by with full width boards, if not. use a 2X4 or rip another board to size.
I would then put a good seal coat on the boards or paint them, or some have even used old oil to seal. You could also replace the boards with diamond plate steel, although more expensive.

/ BIG TEX DECK REPLACEMENT
Thanks to everyone. Found this site by chance and you guys are great. My son in law wanted to cut & weld. I'll look pretty smart now. I know my knuckles will be bleeding. Thanks again. Ray