Half-ton truck comparison

/ Half-ton truck comparison #3  
I agree with Builder, one of many people to respect on here:D;)

/ Half-ton truck comparison #4  
Anyone read this part?

"The Chevrolet Silverado ranked right behind the Ford, with 58 points. It so tremendously dominated the power and pulling tests that it only barely lost to the better-equipped, better-riding F-150. If the Silveradoç—´ fuel economy performance had been even in the middle of the pack rather than last, it would have won this contest."

I guess you can throw me in the minority category that would rather have a truck that "tremdously dominated in power & pulling tests" over a truck that was "better equipped", "better riding" or got "better fuel economy performance". I'd rather be able to pull a load than worry about 1 mpg fuel economy. :rolleyes:

/ Half-ton truck comparison #5  
I agree the test are pointless because there are so many variables like tire size, gear ratio, transmission, engine displacement, curb weight, ect. It is what it is. If you are going to have a Ford/GM/Dodge/Nissan/Toyota fight they need to get these trucks as close as possible. Put the 5.3 from GM in the contest and it would not perform to the level it did. The Ford gave up displacement to the GM and others and nearly 100 HP. Its only natural it wins the mpg race. Later in the year when the new engine comes out it will be a different playing field.

I always laugh when guys brag that the truck they just bought won Motor Trends Truck of the year. Well if you look back one year it was someone else with that honor and the following year it will be someone else. They are always trying to one-up each other. If its a 6 speed tranny, trailer brake controller, ect the others will soon follow and come out with something else. If it was to win 6 or 7 times in a 10 year stretch then they would have something to talk about.

Just buy what you like.

Chris

/ Half-ton truck comparison #7  
Every time I read of some truck shootout, by any number of organizations, I'm reminded of how the scoring is nothing more than a subjective opinion of importance based on what people who drive the same trucks only during the test think.
Should I ever see a test done by qualified owners of 500,000 mile pickups performed, I will buy the magazine, read it, probably several times, and take some stock in what the opinions of those drivers have to say. But until that time I'll take the opinion of someone who has owned many trucks over the years, knows something about the trucks and the gas and diesel engines powering those trucks, knows the dealer selling it and the banker financing it. ME.

/ Half-ton truck comparison #8  
I'd like to see a test on how the bodies hold up on these trucks after about five Michigan winters. The one that didn't have rust starting all over it would be the one I'd buy. That way I'd still enjoy owning it after it's paid for and not shake my head in disbelief every time I crawl under it for maintenance. I could care less about a power mirror switch being in an odd position or that it only has two power outlet in the dash. The silly stuff that reviewers point out don't carry a whole lot of weight with me. When I read these articles I don't truly see any bad trucks. It comes down to what you like, brand loyalty, and dealer experience. IMHO.

/ Half-ton truck comparison #9  
I agree the test are pointless because there are so many variables like tire size, gear ratio, transmission, engine displacement, curb weight, ect. It is what it is. If you are going to have a Ford/GM/Dodge/Nissan/Toyota fight they need to get these trucks as close as possible. Put the 5.3 from GM in the contest and it would not perform to the level it did. The Ford gave up displacement to the GM and others and nearly 100 HP. Its only natural it wins the mpg race. Later in the year when the new engine comes out it will be a different playing field.

I always laugh when guys brag that the truck they just bought won Motor Trends Truck of the year. Well if you look back one year it was someone else with that honor and the following year it will be someone else. They are always trying to one-up each other. If its a 6 speed tranny, trailer brake controller, ect the others will soon follow and come out with something else. If it was to win 6 or 7 times in a 10 year stretch then they would have something to talk about.

Just buy what you like.

Chris

I agree with that. "Motor Trend Truck of the Year" is a joke, kind of like the Heisman Trophy. Just because a truck is "truck of the year", doesn't mean it'll be anything great in the future, either.

Was price ever evaluated? Doesn't that mean anything anymore? How about available financing?

I would also buy whichever brand of truck gives you the best value at the time when you purchase. It took me years to shake my brand loyalty. Now that I have shaken those chains off, I can enjoy buying the best truck of any of the three brands and not worry about being loyal or defending one brand.

/ Half-ton truck comparison #10