What trailer to haul 2 machines on?

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
I'd like to haul both my Mini Excavator (2 ton) and CUTractor on one flat bed. The tractor weighs about 2500 pound or less so a 5 ton trailer should do it. Weight isn't the concern. It's balance and trailer wheel placement I am not sure about. I'd like to be able to use the trailer to haul one or both machines. A lot of trailers have the dual wheel located closer to the back of the trailer and that, in my way of thinking, would put a lot of weight on my marginal tow vehicle (Siverado half ton). Has anyone experienced the same trailering needs and what has been the a reasonable solution to this.

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #2  
Buy a trailer with a little extra length so you can shift the machines fore & aft to get the balance where you need it. More than likely a 10K trailer loaded with your two machines will exceed the listed towing capacity of your Silverado. It would my '04 Sierra 1500 4x4 reg cab.

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #3  
I towed a JD 5220 with a FEL with my Siliverado 1500 often on 350 mile trips to my farm .... the trailer was a 5T dual axle without any problems for years. Stopped at all weight and Ag stations .... I never had a braking problem but I drove like I had good sense! The load balance was good but I was very close on over all weight!
Ihe trailer was an 18 ft with a short dove tail!
Leo

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #4  
You need a bigger truck first. The trailer is going to be 6,000# alone and 2 minis and a tractor is going to put you way over. Get a 1 ton truck.

Chris

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #5  
You need a bigger truck first. The trailer is going to be 6,000# alone and 2 minis and a tractor is going to put you way over. Get a 1 ton truck.

Chris

Unless you go enclosed, a 5, 6, or even 7 ton trailer is not going to weigh 6,000lbs. Your typical 5-ton dual axle trailer only weighs about 2500lbs. A lot of my friends use Harvey Trailers for their quality and price. Looking at their site, the 6-ton 18ft equipment trailer is just 2,750lbs with a payload of 9,250lbs. That should be plenty of payload for your 5000lbs +/- of tractor and mini-ex. Loaded your trailer and tractors should be around 8,000lbs or so which is pushing the limits of a 1/2-ton truck. My 03 Ram 1500 is rated for 8900lbs but the newer 1/2-ton trucks are rated at 10,000lbs and over. Check your tow rating and you may be able to do it with a light trailer and smart loading.

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #6  
I agree, but he is going to need a long trailer to balance the load properly, especially with a 1/2 ton truck. That adds weight. He states he wants to haul 2 4,000# mini's and a 2,500# tractor. My math comes up with 10,500# total cargo. A 14,000# trailer is not going to weigh 3,500# or less so he his going to have to go bigger. A 10 ton trailer or bigger is going to be need which will weigh nearly 6,000# empty. The one I just looked at weighed 5,900# empty without a spare tire, winch, or lock box.

Chris

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #7  
Reread the post, both my mini ex and my tractor, not both of my mini ex's and tractor.
I don't know how much room a mini ex will take. Also it is not mentioned if tractor has a loader or implement. I haul my x495 and 3320 on a 22' trailer. If I have the loader mounted and my 5' cutter, I have to raise the bucket over the x495. I don't like doing that. JC

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #8  
A 5 ton trailer should be fine for hauling 1 - 4000lb mini ex and 1 CUT at 2500lb. That's 6500lb plus trailer est. 2700lb for a total of 9200lb. That's a bit much for a 1/2 ton truck probably rated for a max trailer cap. of 8500lb but it will tow it.
The next problem is length. For a mini ex and a CUT you'll need at least a 22 - 24ft. trailer. (CUT with loader is probably 12-13' long and mini ex about 10').
Several companies make trailers with axles not too far back. I've hauled my tractor w/ loader and 2 - 4 wheelers on my 20' tiltbed. A deck over trailer or a 22 - 24' gooseneck trailer would work for you as well but I don't know if you want to take up bed space with a ball hitch. You can always upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 Ton later.
Lastly (if using a tag a long trailer) you should get a weight distribution hitch for your trailer which will help prevent putting too much tongue weight on the rear of your truck. Of course the trailer you get should have brakes on both axles and a brake controller in the truck.

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #9  
Lastly (if using a tag a long trailer) you should get a weight distribution hitch for your trailer which will help prevent putting too much tongue weight on the rear of your truck. Of course the trailer you get should have brakes on both axles and a brake controller in the truck.

Weight distribution hitches DO NOT lessen tongue weight. They simply mask the effects of tongue weight.

/ What trailer to haul 2 machines on? #10  
I got ya now. I had it in my head with the word both that there was 2 of them. Either way its going to be a load for a Silverado, not because of the weight but the balance of the truck and trailer.

Chris