Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please.

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #1  

nate_m

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I will soon be purchasing a trailer to move my JD2520 around on.

There is a GatorMade distributor not too far from me and was wondering if anybody had any experience, feedback or other useful info about the quality of these trailers.

Here is a link to the trailer I would be purchasing.
http://www.gatormade.com/trailers/trailerpages/gt-xt.php

Probably a little overkill for just my 2520 but if there is one thing I've learned from reading through the posts here is that it's best to plan for more than you currently need.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #2  
Looks like a good trailer and well built. I am in Somerset all the time. Its not a bad drive from SW Ohio, maybe 3 hours. You should call them and see what it will cost if you drive down and get it.

Are you 100% sure this is the type of trailer you want? It looks more like its engineered toward the professional and not so much the home owner. Like a BobCat trailer. You may be better suited with something that will allow you to haul other things easier like cars, loose materials, ect. The stand up rear ramps will prevent you from ever having something 20' long on it like a full size truck or a tractor with a FEL and bush hog.

Chris

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #3  
I will soon be purchasing a trailer to move my JD2520 around on.

There is a GatorMade distributor not too far from me and was wondering if anybody had any experience, feedback or other useful info about the quality of these trailers.

Here is a link to the trailer I would be purchasing.
Gator Made Trailers :: Trailers - Utility Trailers - Gooseneck Trailers - Equipment Trailers - Trailer Parts - Gator Made Trailers, is one of the largest open air trailer manufacturers in the US and the largest in Kentucky for the preceding 11 years.

Probably a little overkill for just my 2520 but if there is one thing I've learned from reading through the posts here is that it's best to plan for more than you currently need.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Not a bad looking trailer I dont know the price but seems well built. I would modify the hitch if that is an option and have them put a bulldog hitch on it. I dont know anyone that has regretted getting a bulldog but I know several who have regretted not having one. The other thing I might wonder about is how long your 2520 is. If it has a front end loader on it then are you going to be able to load it with the front end loader in front of the trailer axles. I have a 4940 Montana and when I put it where the front end loader is at the front my tractor sets behind the axles. I have to put the front end loader over the front rail to get far enough on the trailer then I worry about hitting my truck with the loader. I have a 16 foot trailer also. The next one I get will be longer. I also wind up having my brushhog hanging off of the end of the trailer if I am going somewhere to mow. How are you going to be able to do that with the mounted ramps ?

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #4  
I agree, looks like a real nice heavy duty work trailer. I also much prefer the Bulldog style.
Looks like only one set of brakes is standard, I would want them on both axles and also at least one spare tire and mount.
(I've never had them, but if I were buying new and planning on keeping it a long time, I would go for the LED lights.)

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please.
I also much prefer the Bulldog style.

I would modify the hitch if that is an option and have them put a bulldog hitch on it. I dont know anyone that has regretted getting a bulldog but I know several who have regretted not having one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I assume your not talking about this bulldog hitch pictured here. :D

I googled bulldog hitches and found a few pics, etc but I am not really grasping the concept and why it's better than a standard ball hitch receiver. Is it more secure? easier to align? Do I need anything special on the truck side?

Attachments

• cba9_1.jpg
    cba9_1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 247
   / Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #6  
It allows the truck and trailer articulate more without binding. A standard ball and hitch will only articulate a little over 15 deg or so before binding. Not a big deal unless you drive over some rough off road terrain.

Chris

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #8  
I find them easier to hook up and latch then other types, but it's not a big deal.

Bulldog Hammerblow trailer hitch ball couplers

davkir's website shows what I am talking about. They do not have to have anything special on the truck side it hooks up to a ball hitch. I find they are a lot easier to hook up and less likely to have problems getting them to go on over the ball. I think they hold better. I believe that if you look at bumper pull trailers that haul livestock you will see most if not all of them with bulldog hitches. I was told that was mandatory to have bulldog style hitches on the livestock trailers but I dont know that for a fact. In my opinion for what it is worth. They are not that much more money when you order it with a new trailer and I think they work quite a bit better.

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #9  
I am going to crosspost here just because it fits both threads. For ease of alignment I found a camera at SAMS club that is wireless so you dont have to run wires into your cab. The camera mounts over your license plate. The LCD monitor for it is a 7 inch color monitor. You hook the camera power into your backup lights and it comes on when you are backing up to the trailer. They are 109.00 at sams. I just purchased one (they are a new item) It makes backing up to your trailer and hooking up so easy even I can do it in one try.

/ Feedback on Gatormade Trailers, please. #10  
On the subject of couplers both of mine use the heavy duty cast steel type that automatically couple when you lower them on the ball. I think they are 25K rating. Best ball couple mouse trap I've seen yet.