How Big a Motor?

/ How Big a Motor? #31  
Why would the Ford V-10 get 20% better fuel mileage?
Just because it's a "Ford"? :confused:

That's not what I was trying to say. I was saying see 10 mpg and 8 towing with both motors. My uncles 2005 F-350 with the V-10 is a 4x4 with 4.30 gears so it pulls great but it does not pass many gas stations. I guess he does not care since he owns 3 stations.

I have a friend with a 2006 3500 with the 8.1. Its a crew cab dually 4x4 and he said he has never seen above the high 9's and towing a 5th wheel he got 7.2 last year on his annual trip to Florida. He is retired GM guy, you know about 52, and he takes it easy.

With either truck I would think 10 is a good average. You may be able to squeak out 12 with 3.73's but these trucks need low gears to take advantage of the power band of the big gas engines.

Chris

/ How Big a Motor? #32  
With either truck I would think 10 is a good average. You may be able to squeak out 12 with 3.73's but these trucks need low gears to take advantage of the power band of the big gas engines.

I've owned one 454 and its peak torque was at 1600rpm and peak HP was at 2400rpm. It was only rated @ 240HP but when you look at where the power was made it was a towing monster. I had 3:73's behind it.

/ How Big a Motor? #33  
If you do any amount of towing, especially a lot, I'd reconsider and get the diesel too.
Even though it's more expensive up front, and diesel fuel is more than gas right now, in the long run you'll be much happier. I found my 2008 Chevy 2500HD with Allison gets better mileage towing 7000lbs than my '94 Chevy 350 did running naked. I get around 15mpg towing and the 350 got about 6 to 8 towing and 12mpg naked. The 2500HD get 19 to 20 running naked. It's built to tow and smokes the 350 gas engine. Super comfortable too. Over the years, the extra cost is reduced with some mileage savings. Especially if you're now considering getting a bigger motor. Resale may be another consideration as guys are always looking for a good used diesel.
But the feeling you get knowing you have all this reserve power to tow at decent mileage and relatively little strain on the diesel engine (in comparison) eventually leads to peace of mind.
There is no price tag on the level of satisfaction you get from this.

/ How Big a Motor? #34  
Hi All,
I am looking to buy a 3/4 ton pickup to pull a 22-25 ft gooseneck trailer rated for up to 14,000LB loads. I found a Chevy 2500. Your opinions, please.

That's a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton. That's 3500 or 4500(350/450 for Ford) with dually kinda weight. That little 350 would be out of it's league, unless you geared with some 4:88's or something.

Even in my Cummins Dodge 3/4 ton heavy duty everything, I would not want to tow that. I could but would not want to.

/ How Big a Motor? #35  
If you lived close I would sell you my 1988 Chevy 3500 with a 454 in it. Has the crew cab 4x4 with automatic. Not sure what gears are in it though. Go one ton if you want to have bigger brakes usually as well. Getting going is fine. Stopping is kinda important to.

/ How Big a Motor? #37  
Man, everytime I say an Allison transmission is indestructable, I get hammered by Dargo. :D

Nothing is indestructible. My dad always said "if its got T-ts or Tires eventually its going to give you troubles". He has plenty of funny sayings but due to the nature of this site I can not repeat any of them here.

Chris