Tow Strap Cinch Bone

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I have been looking at them for a few years and cant figure out how to rig it with out it slipping.

Chris

Attachments

• G_23369G_SW_1.jpg
    G_23369G_SW_1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 899
   / Tow Strap Cinch Bone
Here is a copy of the instructions I found on the net. I could see simply lacing it through the tow hook and then laying the flat part of the strap through the loop. Place the bone in and as the strap tightens up it will be held in place but **** you could do that with a large wrench, tire iron, piece of round bar, ect. It seems the slit in the bone comes into play but I can not find pictures to support that.

Anyway here are the instructions I found.

Once a tow strap is laced through the tow hook, simply thread the strap through the middle slot of the cinch bone then situate the cinch bone between the end loop and flat portion of the strap to create a firm connection and tie a knot. This keeps the strap from slipping. After use, untie and slip off. No more impossible knots or cutting pieces off of your straps! It is recommended to use two cinch bones, one for each end of strap for reinforcement.

Chris

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #3  
Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I have been looking at them for a few years and cant figure out how to rig it with out it slipping.

Chris

Here is the picture.

Attachments

• dynamicimage.jpg
    dynamicimage.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3,280
   / Tow Strap Cinch Bone
Here is the picture.

I had seen that pic but like I said I don't think that would work. Seems like it would just slip. In that pic it does not look like its been laced through the slit in the bone.

Chris

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #5  
It would make it so that you can un do them if you slip the loop over one then the tail through the you male a square not and once pulled tight it is hard to undo don' ask how I know.

to use it push loop through the other loop and put the bone in 1st loop an pull back tight against the 2nd loop.
At fire school many years ago they told us t use a pick ax andle to do the same thing you can loop a strap too in this way.

tom

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #6  
Bahh Humbug,
I'd just tie a knot and be done with it.
Things like that are for people who can't tie knots that can be easily undone, maybe
a neat Mahhhhhketting feature, but not much functional value.
(-:

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #7  
We use a rolled up towell between the two straps after the eyes have been linked together . Those metal things are lethal when the strap breaks . The towell stops the knot becoming tight , a rolled up newspaper or magazine will also do . When you are finished simply remove the towell and seperate the straps .

Last edited:
   / Tow Strap Cinch Bone #8  
Thanks for the great tips. I used the third method shown about 5 years ago......and I still haven't been able to get the knot apart!

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone
I must still be retarded. I am about to go out and cut one out of wood and try to figure it out. I can see how it would work up against something like the tow hook but what I am intrested in is if you need to shorten the strap due to confined area. Just last winter I had to pull out a 4x4 dually that had spun out and put the rear end in the ditch. The fronts could not get the bite needed to pull itself out. It was situated 90deg across the road and because of a fence on the other side I only had about 6 or 7 feet to work with once my truck was in position. I had no way to shorten my strap and had to get creative.

Let say you have a 25' strap and you only have x number of feet to work in. I can see if you can double the strap up but what if you need to do something different? That is where this bone would come in handy if it could be made to grip anywhere on the strap.

Chris

/ Tow Strap Cinch Bone #10  
I'm sorry , i misunderstood what you needed it for , it would be handy for that purpose . The only other way i can see how you would do that is to go around the towing eyes as many times as you need . ie. A 25' strap from your towbar around the second cars recovery eye and back to your towbar giving 12.5' . Or back to the second car again to give 8.3' etc .