New Pick em up Trucks

/ New Pick em up Trucks #11  
Yep, go with FORD. I wouldn't even consider looking at anything else.

The guys here that use trucks here almost all drive FORDS, so that means they're the best!!! ;)

Funny!!!! I was just leading him that way because he already owns and is happy with his Ford truck. He also excluded the offerings from GM and Dodge from his original post. He stated he had narrowed it down to Nissan, Toyota, and Ford.

Chris

/ New Pick em up Trucks #12  
I don't know what the laws for safety inspections are in WI, but in Illinois a 1 ton truck (D plate) has to go thru a safety inspection every 6 months. It costs about $20.00. It wasn't so bad when I lived in Northern IL, but where I live now, the closest inspection station is about 50 miles away. Something to check into if you are thinking about getting a 1 ton.

Jeff

Move 100 miles east. No inspections what so ever here in Indiana on any vehicles.

Chris

/ New Pick em up Trucks
To adress some of the posts:

My first car was a Dodge and it was the literal opposite of a high quality vehicle.

When I bought my F150, I also test drove a Dodge with the salesman with me. The new truck died twice during the test drive. The salesman told me that 'my' new Dodge would not die like the test drive. I told the salesman that our test drive did not help his sale.

GM is not currently dicounting their vehicles around me hardly at all. Savings of up to $4,000 off MSRP can be realized - such a deal. Otherwise, I can just hang on to what I have.

My mechanic of all people wants to buy my 2001 truck. He has serviced it for its entire life. I hope the deal works out.

Question regarding the Titan: what is objectionable to the body?

Question regarding the Tundra: many satisfied customers out there?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ New Pick em up Trucks #14  
I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone who comes in the body shop and asks what truck to buy. I say I would buy the Super Duty Ford. But you have to pay for it and have to drive it, so buy what you want. One thing I will say is get a extra cab or crew cab not a lot more in price but it will hold value better in the NADA book. The Power stroke cost you 4000 or so more and get you one and half as much mileage as a gas. If you live in a cold area like I do in Northern Vermont we see maybe 90 in the summer but see weeks of 20 to 40 below zero in the winter. Modern gas will start no need to plug in to warm up and a camp 4 mile of the main road and no power, snowmobiling the truck will sit for days. Oh and gas at half the price and every store has it. I pull a 2 car trailer with my 02 SD crew cab V10 and plow snow with a 9 Fisher V-Blade 111,000 miles on truck and never had a single road side problem, Worsts thing I have had go wrong dome light stuck on Switch bad in door. Chris Putzier

/ New Pick em up Trucks #15  
Actually the Diesel option in a Superduty is about $8000. I wish it was only $4000, may have been back in the early 2000's. On my 2004 and 2006 it was a $6000 upgrade but that added the Torque Shift tranny. That tranny is now available behind all the engines in the Superduty trucks since 2005 I believe. The most bang for the buck is the $600 upgrade to the V10.

Dodge wants about $8000 for the Cummins over the base engine and so does GM for the Dmax. You have to pay for all the torque.

Chris

/ New Pick em up Trucks #16  
I would go with the V10, unless you are towing heavy almost all the time. I have the 6.4L PSD in mine and it has been trouble free and has lots of power. There are some in the forum who have anticipated its implosion, but it has not happened yet. My only issue to date with the truck is a faulty blendor motor which affected the climate control for the driver's side. It was repaired under warranty and, of course, was unrelated to the powerplant. All this said, any of the diesels are going to be major bucks over the gasoline offerings. Ford has steadily upgraded its V10 engine and it is powerful and much less expensive than the 6.4. With what I tow, despite the fact I like my diesel a lot, I would have strongly considered the V10 if I had to repeat history as it is much less expensive and performs well. It actually gets reasonably close fuel economy numbers and right now gasoline is less expensive than diesel. I had a V10 in a 2001 250 and it had a solid resale, so with these post-emissions diesels I am not so sure just having a diesel would necessarily enhance one's resale v. a V10. This in the past has been a selling point for going diesel. Each of the "big three" have a solid powerplant and they each have pro's and con's, but the truck you are considering--all in all--is really tough to beat. Unless you have your heart set on diesel, go gas.

John M

/ New Pick em up Trucks #17  
I believe the Dodge Ram w/ Cummins is the only way to go if your pulling a load.
Open the hood and looking at the engine compartments of Ford and Chevy's compared to the Dodge is enough to convince me.

Plenty of deals like this around.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/949546806.html

Last edited:
   / New Pick em up Trucks #18  
The new 1/2 tons are right in line with the 3/4's of 6 or 7 years ago.
A new F-150 for example has twice the capability as your 2001.
Do not make the mistake I made. Get a F-350. I had 2 3/4 tons, a F-250 PSD and a Dodge with the Hemi. I was disappointed in them both when it came to load hauling. The new 1/2 tons are right in line with the 3/4's for 6 or 7 years ago. A new F-150 for example has twice the capability as your 2001. If you are after a F-350 it is only $600 more than a F-250 with the same options.
The Titan is a great truck but running near the end of its run on this body style. If you get one you may be wanting to trade it in a year for the new body. I have not driven a Titan so can't really say much but I was disapointed in the last body style for V8 power and towing.Chris
I had a new Ford F 250 3/4 ton Camper Special back in 1971.
I hauled 6000 pounds of gravel on it 1 time.
I will have to admit that was pushing it.
But 3 or 4 thousand pounds was no problem on it.
Some how I can't fathom a 1/2 ton being able to handle that much weight.
Are you saying today's new 1/2 ton would handle towing my BX23
on a 16 foot trailer better easier and safer than the old 71 3/4 ton Ford would have?
That's kinda hard for me to believe.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #19  
I had a new Ford F 250 3/4 ton Camper Special back in 1971.
I hauled 6000 pounds of gravel on it 1 time.
I will have to admit that was pushing it.
But 3 or 4 thousand pounds was no problem on it.

Sorry but I don't buy it. There is no way you could put 6,000lbs on a 1970's 3/4 ton truck and actually drive it. I have had 5,000lbs in the back of my 94 F-350 dump truck and the rear springs were pretty flat. A 3/4 ton truck would snap in half with that kind of weight.