Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #1  

Yankee Clipper

Gold Member
Does anyone know what pickup or light truck hub and wheel will replace trailer house cast spiders and their rims? I have has balance issues and want to convert to a standard truck hub and wheel.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
   / Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #2  
Check with you local DOT office but I am guessing since you are in Cali where its illegal to fart it is also illegal to reuse trailer home axles. It is here in Indiana and we are allowed to carry guns and kill robbers like the guy down the road did 2 days ago at a local grocery store. I know this is a little off topic but I think its kind of neat the good guys won one. I know the tree huggers will cry about this dirt bag but hey robbery is a dangerous business and he took a risk and lost.

Here it is from our newspaper:

A prosecutor says he will not file charges against an grocery store employee for fatally shooting a robber who pointed a gun at a woman with a baby.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said today the actions by the employee of El Michoacana Supermarket were justified to protect customers in the store.

Police say the employee fired at 23-year-old Christopher Barreto of Indianapolis after Barreto forced the customers into one part of the store Sunday night.

Police say Barreto was shot with a gun belonging to the store owner.

Barreto was critically injured when police officers arrived. He was taken to Methodist Hospital, where he died.

Chris

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #3  
Check with you local DOT office but I am guessing since you are in Cali where its illegal to fart it is also illegal to reuse trailer home axles. It is here in Indiana and we are allowed to carry guns and kill robbers like the guy down the road did 2 days ago at a local grocery store. I know this is a little off topic but I think its kind of neat the good guys won one. I know the tree huggers will cry about this dirt bag but hey robbery is a dangerous business and he took a risk and lost.

Here it is from our newspaper:

A prosecutor says he will not file charges against an grocery store employee for fatally shooting a robber who pointed a gun at a woman with a baby.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said today the actions by the employee of El Michoacana Supermarket were justified to protect customers in the store.

Police say the employee fired at 23-year-old Christopher Barreto of Indianapolis after Barreto forced the customers into one part of the store Sunday night.

Police say Barreto was shot with a gun belonging to the store owner.

Barreto was critically injured when police officers arrived. He was taken to Methodist Hospital, where he died.

Chris

Hooray for the store owner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #4  
Does anyone know what pickup or light truck hub and wheel will replace trailer house cast spiders and their rims? I have has balance issues and want to convert to a standard truck hub and wheel.

Any help is appreciated

I'm not aware of any. My guess is your best option may be to bolt new axles under your trailer.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #5  
AN entire new axle with new hubs is going to be the best route to take. The trailer axles have huge bearings and spindles. A whole new axle is pretty cheap and will use off the shelf parts.

I am cursed with a trailer equipped with the silly cast spiders and 14.5" rims too.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #6  
I have a homemade 20' trailer with 14.5" wheels on it. I bought it used, so I don't know the origin of the axles. The strange part (to me) about them is that they are NOT the spider-type wheels that are so common with mobile home axles. The bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2 and they have solid steel wheels.

The 14.5" size makes me think that they are from a mobile home. The axle tubes are very similar in size to m.h. axles that I have seen.

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #7  
I might be wrong but 'm pretty sure the MH axles use the same sized bearings as 3k lb axles. If you find hubs with the correct size and the bolt pattern you want I think you'll be okay.

The one thing to keep in mind, and I don't know this to be fact, is that supposedly the MH axles' spindles are not hardened as well as those of axles designed for daily use. You hear about guys pulling for 20 years on them though so I'm not sure.

I know that some trailer manufactures used the MH style wheels on factory trailers. I've seen pictures of new Econoline equipment trailers from the 70's withe 14.5" wheels but they were steel with standard bolt patterns. I have 6 of these axles right now (3 were on a home built gooseneck I bought from my neigbor) and I'm to the point now where I think I'm going to use them. New axles might be "cheap" for some but $400+ for two axles with no wheel or tires is not cheap to me. Sometimes you have to make due with what is available.

Check this site out, it might help some.

BillaVista's Trailer and Mobile Home Axle tech

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #8  
I had a bearing go out on 20ft gooseneck after II had bought new bearings I discovered tha the hubs from one of my moblehome alxes where the same part number. My gooseneck has 7000lb axles and 8 lug wheels. It is a dexter brand. I use 14.5 tires on one of my other tralers but they are marked loboy tires not moble home only. Hope this helps. Billk

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels
Thanks to all who answered

YC

/ Trailer house axles - convert to light truck hubs and wheels #10  
I have made a lot of trailers with trailer house axles, usually I buy new hubs at Northern they have the same bolt pattern as my 03 chevy pickup. The hubs are 1 3/4 inner and 1 1/4 outer bearings. I did buy 5 house axles one time for $80. and the outer bearings were 1 1/8 inch ,look all over for new hubs and never did find any.