Yet another brake question...

/ Yet another brake question... #1  

farmboy12

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900 FEL; New Holland TC30 MMM; Ford 1620; Ford 1520 MMM; John Deere X740; John Deere 455 MMM; Craftsman 19.5hp;;;;; Antiques: 1946 John Deere B; 1951 John Deere MT; 1952 Allis Chalmers B; 1967 International 140
We have the oppurtunity to buy a 24' gooseneck livestock trailer. It is an '87 Moritz with a dry weight of about 3850#. It doesn't have brakes, and we need to haul it from his farm in Ohio to ours in Maryland. Not too sure how far exactly, but I'm guessing at least 300-350 mi. Do you think we could do it? By that time the truck a hauling it will be a new 3/4 ton diesel Ford or Chevy.

He said he also has forklifts and loaders that can assist in loading. We have an 18+5 trailer. Do you think it would be better to put it on there? Thanks in advance to any replies!

Kyle

/ Yet another brake question... #2  
You can do it and you will have plenty of truck but it will not be legal. In Ohio you need brakes on any trailer over 2,000#'s. Here is a copy of the trailer requirements per state. Your home state also requires them over 3,000#'s

BoatUS.com: Trailering Club

Just click on the state and it will bring the area up by region and give you all trailer info. I got this info from a boating forum I use but trailer laws are the same no matter if its a boat, camper, horse, utility, ect.

Chris

/ Yet another brake question...
Yea, for the three states I have to go through-Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland-It's risky. PA and MD have a 3000# limit. It would be illegal. We've been through Ohio, they are very strict. As long as we don't get pulled over or have to stop at a weigh station, it'll be fine. Risky, but fine. Brakes will go on as soon as we get back.

What do you guys think about us putting it on our trailer?

Kyle

/ Yet another brake question... #4  
Make sure the axles have the flanges for brakes. I would want photo evidence before I drove to get it. If it does not you will have to either replace the axles or have some fabed up. I would say 1/2 the axles I have seen with no brakes do not have the brackets. If you have to replace the axles you are looking at $500 per axle for a trailer that size. If it just need the brackets fabed up you will need to get some measurements off a trailer with the same axles then 3 to 4 hours at a fab shop. The shop rates for the welding guy I use in my trailer business is $75 per hour plus materials. I would guess a $400 job. Take all this into account and make sure its still a good buy. My guess is unless you are getting a steal, I would keep looking for something closer with all the necessary items already on the trailer.

Chris

I just found out, it does have brakes, they just don't work. We are going to repair them as soon as we get home. Thanks for your help D/P! That site you showed is pretty cool. Well, if we buy the trailer, it ends tonight. We should be picking it up in Jan-Feb. I think it'll be fine. The chances that we are going to get pulled over and have our brakes checked is pretty slim, as long as there is no reason to get pulled over.;)

Kyle

/ Yet another brake question... #6  
Good luck on the trailer. Like you said, just don't give them a reason and you will be fine. And hey, maybe you will be pulling it with that new FORD! Now you just need to talk the old man into the F-350 Single Rear Wheel like we talked about in the other thread. He will be glad he did. Like I have told you I currently have a 04 F-250 and a 06 F-350 that are the same in every aspect except the 250/350 thing and there is a night and day difference when pulling over 12,000# The 350 just seems much more stable and secure.

That is a great site. I use it weekly when I am making boat deals. Many times I will drive a couple states away to deliver or bring home a boat. It gives me a quick look to make sure I am legal. My camper pulling buddies use it also to check where they are traveling.

Chris

We actually probably not be getting this one.:( I think it's a great deal, but dad doesn't quite want to go to Ohio to get a money pit.:rolleyes: He said there's right down the road, so we'll take a look at that. Thanks for the help though!

Kyle