Hauling tractor with a car trailer?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #41  
My thinking is a Hyd. tilt bed and you could use ramps when if needed for mutiples.
Thats sounds good for a tilt. Hydraulic tilt will give way more flexibility and with ramps you will be covering another base.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #42  
Hasn't been an issue for me at all. Thats the big scare everyone has. My drop deck actually gave me fits a couple of times loading cars with long wheel bases. My low slung Cobalt drives right on. Overall I find a deckover has more plus's than minus's. Once you make the transition to the ramps basically your on. Palleted item are no longer a fuss. And the load up higher hasn't been an issue at all.
What do you think about the idea of putting 13 inch wheels on a deck over instead of 15 or 16 inch wheels in order to get it to set lower to the ground?

Thats sounds good for a tilt. Hydraulic tilt will give way more flexibility and with ramps you will be covering another base.
Sounds good to me but there is still the matter of the hight .

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #43  
13" wheels would require 5 axles to carry any weight.

Chris

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #45  
Load capacity goes up with tire size. Keeping things monetarily reasonable 15" will give load "D" and 16" Load "E". There is a 14.5" lowboy size for load G or H but cost goes up. Also 16" rims have a higher load tire available also. I don't know of any 13" wheels and tires rated for what you want to do. My FIL has just what you are thinking about only his are 12" rims or maybe smaller like 8". However his capacity on a tandem is about 2K max. Really limits the versatility. I would build or buy a trailer keeping with standards so down the road things are easy. Last summer a friend and another buddy went after an old farm tractor out of state. Got a flat on the way back. Needed a rim and tire. Had a heck of a time finding them because it turned out his rims and bolt pattern were not common. From now on I will only have 16" 8 bolt as they are easy to come by. 5 lug can have any one 5 different patterns.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #46  
13" rims and tires have about a 1,250# load limit. They can also only fit 7" or 8" brake assemblys in them. While just going up to a 14" tire allows for a 1,750# load limit and a 10" brake assembly.

Not enough capability on the tires and wheels to use 13" for a car hauling trailer.

Chris

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #47  
I have borrowed a few times friends car haulers . Once when I hauled a badly deteriated 8n Funk conversion out of a brushy place to my shop/garage . A problem I had was that the tractor was so badly gone , it was hard to tie all ares down tite due to it falling apart . I think that a solid flatbed trailer would've made that haul somewhat easier . Then a couple other times I had to haul my 640 to a tractor dealer to have some excessive repairs done that I wasn't knowledged enough to do myself . Then I borrowed a different car hauler to bring the 640 back home . And lastly , I had to borrow the trailer again to return my 640 back to that shop because of some poor work . Then again to return it home . So , using a car hauler will work as long as it's heavily built (not one of those landscaping type) . I'm trying to decide myself which style I want to build for hauling my tractors & a vehicle if necessary . HTH ! God bless, Ken

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #48  
Welcome ken. :)

, using a car hauler will work as long as it's heavily built (not one of those landscaping type) . I'm trying to decide myself which style I want to build for hauling my tractors & a vehicle if necessary . HTH ! God bless, Ken

yep.. no way I'd get a landscape trailer.. they are not as stiff.. usually have expanded metal floors and drop gates instead of ramps.. some have less underpinnings as well. usually don't cost THAT much different than a 16' car hauler anyway.

have a good'un

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #49  
Welcome ken. :)

yep.. no way I'd get a landscape trailer.. they are not as stiff.. usually have expanded metal floors and drop gates instead of ramps.. some have less underpinnings as well. usually don't cost THAT much different than a 16' car hauler anyway.

have a good'un

This is true but not always the case. Mine is 18', full wood floor, 5' pull out rear ramps, 8 d-rings, brakes, and most important feature is a full wrap around 4" tongue. This is a feature most lack.

Chris

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #50  
Man how do folks pull these 2 and 3 year old posts up. I sure hope the OP has finalized his deal on this. Be interesting to see if he still has the open deck trailer after 3 or more years which I suspect that he has upgraded to a solid deck IF he bought it.