Hauling tractor with a car trailer?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #51  
Very old post but for what its worth, I use a car hauler to haul my tractors. I prefer the flat deck and no rails on the sides for hauling equipment. The rails do stiffen up the frame a bit but most landscape trailers use the rails for strengthening rather than make the sides and cross braces heavier. Just my 2cents worth on trailers. Oh, and the ramps are usually much flimsier than carhaulers and may bend under a tractors weight.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #52  
hey at least they search!

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #53  
true!

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #54  
I use a car hauler for my tractor but the ramps really flex. My solution is a simple 2X6 stiff leg box I made up with the duplicate angle of the ramp placed right in the middle beneath the ramp. If you do this slide the stiff leg up until there is about a half inch space between ramp bottom and stiff leg. This allows ramp to flex just enough to avoid any tetering of ends of ramp with the load aboard.

rimshot

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #55  
must have some real wimpy ramps for a car hauler if they flex on a tractor that will fit on a car hauler?

the ramps on my car hauler will hold more tractor than the trailer will :)

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #56  
must have some real wimpy ramps for a car hauler if they flex on a tractor that will fit on a car hauler?

the ramps on my car hauler will hold more tractor than the trailer will :)

=================

well, maybe so but you have to remember my tractor has a backhoe and with that attached the
CK20 with backhoe and front end loader weighs in at 4000 lbs. But you are probably thinking what makes that different than a car. The difference is the entire weight of the tractor is solely on the ramp as it has a much shorter wheel base then most cars that only usually accomodate one axle at a time unless maybe it gets compared with a YUGO. The trailer gross rating is 7000 lbs. and is adequate for the tractor.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #57  
I know you probably think I've never seen a tractor before. don't own one.. or have never laoded one.

but I in fact, do have a tractor.. have trailered them, etc.

I have a few different trailers, including a couple flatbeds.. one being a car hauler.

I have tractors weighting from about 900# up past 13k with no attachments.

I also own a unit similar to that ck 20 size, with a laoder and a backhoe.. and do haul it.

4k is a medium tractor and an average auto.. a large auto can hit a couple higher, easy.

imho.. the ramps should be quite a bit heavier rated than thir intended load.

if a ramp flexes excessively with it's rated load.. I'd scrap it and get a real ramp.

just sayin.

be safe.. happy neaw year.. etc.

=================

well, maybe so but you have to remember my tractor has a backhoe and with that attached the
CK20 with backhoe and front end loader weighs in at 4000 lbs. But you are probably thinking what makes that different than a car. The difference is the entire weight of the tractor is solely on the ramp as it has a much shorter wheel base then most cars that only usually accomodate one axle at a time unless maybe it gets compared with a YUGO. The trailer gross rating is 7000 lbs. and is adequate for the tractor.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #58  
I agree and would not have kicked a bit if the ramps were a bit stronger. They are heavier than the dickens now and they have to slide in the side as opposed to sliding strait in the back which means I have to walk those darn things over to the side. Also they are a bit long because the trailer bed is all flat with no dove tail on the back to lower the grade.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #59  
:laughing: you guys just listed all the reasons I didn't buy the ramps with my utility/dump trailer.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #60  
I agree and would not have kicked a bit if the ramps were a bit stronger. They are heavier than the dickens now and they have to slide in the side as opposed to sliding strait in the back which means I have to walk those darn things over to the side. Also they are a bit long because the trailer bed is all flat with no dove tail on the back to lower the grade.

mine don't slide in eihter, and there is no dt onthe car hauler.. and I have to carry them to the side. :) but they have held 8k and not even deflected a bit. I hate loading on an unstable platform. at least in an auto you are somewhat safe.. in a tractor..it's scarry when the thing you are driving onto bows or moves.. :)