Hauling tractor with a car trailer?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #1  

AJones

Tractor
NH TC33D
I am thinking about buying a trailer to haul my TC33D tractor with backhoe. There is an 18 foot car hauler, 7000lb GVW duel axels with brakes on both axels and a 2 5/16 hitch that I'm looking at. My truck is a 2008 GMC 1500 with the towing package, 6.0 v-8 and rated at a towing capicty of 8400 lbs. My thought was by going with a car hauler I would have a larger market if I ever wanted to sell it. Does any one see a problem hauling a tractor on a car hauler as long as the troactor does not exceed the capicity of the trailer?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #2  
I am thinking about buying a trailer to haul my TC33D tractor with backhoe. There is an 18 foot car hauler, 7000lb GVW duel axels with brakes on both axels and a 2 5/16 hitch that I'm looking at. My truck is a 2008 GMC 1500 with the towing package, 6.0 v-8 and rated at a towing capicty of 8400 lbs. My thought was by going with a car hauler I would have a larger market if I ever wanted to sell it. Does any one see a problem hauling a tractor on a car hauler as long as the troactor does not exceed the capicity of the trailer?

Lots of us use car trailers...

Can you try it before buying just to make sure it fits the way you want it and there's enough room to position your tractor to get the proper tongue weight?

Lots of variation on car trailers... rails, full deck, timber deck, aluminum, etc.

How much does the empty trailer weigh and how heavy is your tractor and implements?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer?
No I can't try it out first, too far away. It is a Bri Mar trailer with an open center and steel decking. The weights are, trailer1740lbs /tractor 2433/ hoe 872/7308 loader 500lbs?(can't find the weight in the manual). Total weight approx 5545 lbs. I am thinking that an 18 foot trailer should give me enough room to get the tongue weight right.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #4  
I recently bought a used Kubota L35, weighs just under 6K with loader and BH.
I hauled it on my 7K 16' flatbed trailer. It fits and balances well. Pulls great.
I'm a little over on weight total but after asking peoples experience here I felt pretty good about my setup.
I would think yours almost 2K less weight and with the extra 2' of trailer length would not be a problem.

Just lock it down tight and strong with proper chains and get around 10% of the total weight on the tongue.

Last thought is make sure the trailer brakes and your brake controller function well.

Jerry

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #5  
if the price is right, it's plenty of trailer for what you describe.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #6  
No I can't try it out first, too far away. It is a Bri Mar trailer with an open center and steel decking. The weights are, trailer1740lbs /tractor 2433/ hoe 872/7308 loader 500lbs?(can't find the weight in the manual). Total weight approx 5545 lbs. I am thinking that an 18 foot trailer should give me enough room to get the tongue weight right.

Make sure the open center isn't too wide for the tractor's track width. That open center would be a dealbreaker for me, but the rest of the numbers work fine.

Last edited:
   / Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #7  
The thought of what to get for a trailer to haul my BX23 on has came up several times since I bought it new in 2004.
Last week I had to have 2 of my pickups towed on the same day with a wrecker.
That got me to thinking perhaps i've been looking at this trailer thing backwards.
Since I got the BX23 I have never had to take it anywhere.
But I paid several wrecker bills to move my vehicles during the past 4 years.
Perhaps I need a trailer to haul my vehicles on that could be used to transport my tractor on if the need should arises rather than a trailer to haul a BX on for which the need has never came up.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #8  

The open center trailer may be a problem. Your tractor may not be wide enough to fit properly in the wheel tracks. They are also useless for jobs like hauling building materials, furniture, quad runners, hay, firewood, ect, ect, ect. I would not own one, just not versatile enough. I am guessing the guy getting rid of it has probably run into the same issues and is now looking for something more versatile.

By the way you are light on the loader. I have a Koyker 160 style loader on my Jinma 254, a 25 HP 4x4 Diesel, and the loader weighs about 800#

Chris

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #9  
A car hauler trailer will be fine for hauling your tractor. If it is a flat deck car hauler rather than open between the tire track rails that's even better since most car haulers have wider spacing between the fenders. If it is open between the track rails you can fill the space with 3/4" plywood, aluminum, or steel decking which will make it a more useful trailer and I think easier to sell later..

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #10  
i use my race car trailer to haul my tractor

kb1.jpg

Last edited: