Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #21  
well lets just say thats dads problem. LOL my buddy wanted to pull it off his cummins 5500 and i told him not to. so thats still leagal.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #22  
Pull it off a current Cummins in a medium or heavy duty truck and you will probably find it won't run anymore. Most are going to a full time monitored system to increase DPF longevity and increase the performance of the regeneration cycle. If the DPF isn't there it will initally derate the engine and then shut down because it thinks there is a major problem with the system.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #24  
Secondly, do you enjoy polluting the environment?

My '08 F350 when empty now gets ~ 20 - 21 UK MPG since I took the DPF off and added my tuner. It was getting ~ 11mpg on it's best days, without pulling anything, out of the factory. Some days were as low as 8 or 9MPG. With a load on my GN, I could literally get worse mileage than a 18 wheeler!!!

In my opinion (and no, I'm not an environmental scientist) burning double the fuel as an alternative to putting out some soot from the pipe is NOT environmentally, or cost, effective.

The big 3 should be ashamed of themselves for the diesel pigs they put on the road starting in the '08 model year. Mercedes, BMW, and VW were all able to produce diesel engines that meet EPA standards and get good to excellent mileage (Mercedes ML320CDI and BMW X5d are around 30MPG, and the new Jetta TDI is 50+MPG). I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but there was a strange time link between the rise in the price of diesel and the timing of the release of the 'environmentally friendly' diesel guzzling pigs.

Also, I really resent being lied to by the salesmen that sold myself and 2 other friends the F350's. There sales pitch that 'mileage will progressively improve, as it is the computer controls the break in period'.

When's that Tundra dually coming out???

-Jer.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce
When's that Tundra dually coming out???

-Jer.

-Jer.,

Toyota quietly scrapped their diesel truck after much fanfare. My guess is the Hino 8L they were promising to use would have gotten just as bad fuel numbers as the 8L Hino used in Hino trucks.

I think there's a big difference between a M/B diesel used in a car than a truck because of the torque, weight & aerodynamic issues with a truck. M/B powered Freightliner medium duties don't get any better fuel economy than their IH & Cummins powered counterparts.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #26  
In my opinion (and no, I'm not an environmental scientist) burning double the fuel as an alternative to putting out some soot from the pipe is NOT environmentally, or cost, effective.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but there was a strange time link between the rise in the price of diesel and the timing of the release of the 'environmentally friendly' diesel guzzling pigs.

I gotta say I'm with you here. Especially when you think about the hundreds of thousands of tractor trailers running across the country now struggling to get 4 mpg, when a pre-emission truck might get 6.5 or 7. Not so much just the cost of the diesel itself, but think how much more tax revenue (how many millions of gallons more fuel/year?) on all that fuel the gummit is now making. And I don't consider myself a black helicopter guy either.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #27  
My cuz has a 600hp cummins with the DPF and it gets a whopping 8mpg.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce
I gotta say I'm with you here. Especially when you think about the hundreds of thousands of tractor trailers running across the country now struggling to get 4 mpg, when a pre-emission truck might get 6.5 or 7. Not so much just the cost of the diesel itself, but think how much more tax revenue (how many millions of gallons more fuel/year?) on all that fuel the gummit is now making. And I don't consider myself a black helicopter guy either.

I don't think you need to be a "black helicopter guy" anymore to believe the gov't would do whatever it takes to boost revenues. Even if it means higher fuel consumption veiled through the promise of "cleaner air".

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #29  
My persdonal reason for not removing the DPF is simple, that is if I had a new truck. If I wanted to roll around my shop floor on a creeper with a whiz wheel and a socket set to remove the DPF, and then do the same to reinstall it for warranty or recall issues, I would have gained nothing by buying a new truck, as I would still have to get dirty working on it. My Dmax, so far has been pretty good, but when I do replace it someday and spend 45k+, I don't want to do any thing besides routine maintenence to it. Spending all that money and having to spend time R&R ind the DPF would get real old real quick.

/ Ford & IH finalize diesel divorce #30