Big Enough Truck?

/ Big Enough Truck? #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I'm thinking of buying a 25ft trailer with 10K tandem axles. If I have that trailer fully loaded (nearly 20K lbs.) will my F-250 with 7.3 Power-Stroke diesel be enough truck?

/ Big Enough Truck? #2  
On paper no. In reality if you do not plan on pulling it all over the country and put some add a leafs or air bags in the rear it will do the job if you take it slow.

Just make sure you load the trailer smartly, not getting too much weight on the pin.

Just remember a 20K trailer weighs about 8K empty so that only leave you 12K of payload.

Chris

/ Big Enough Truck? #3  
Smartest thing to do is not exceed the manufacturers tow rating or GCWR.

The other problem you'll run into is your GCWR will exceed the 26,001 limit of a standard driver's license. If your truck weighs 8K and your trailer weighs 20K, that's a total of 28K.

/ Big Enough Truck? #4  
I wouldn't put 10 tons behind a 1-ton dually, even the class 5 trucks (5500/F-550) are only rated to tow about 18,000lbs.

Putting that behind a 3/4 ton is just asking for trouble.

/ Big Enough Truck?
I wouldn't put 10 tons behind a 1-ton dually, even the class 5 trucks (5500/F-550) are only rated to tow about 18,000lbs.

Yeah, might be right. After I read your post it got me to thinking with that much weight braking could be problem for an F-250 under some conditions. I imagine that the trailer / truck weight ratio might cause the F-250 to get "pushed around" a little by the trailer. I live in the Ozarks so my posting was initially aimed more at can I get this trailer up and down these hills (some steep). But I can see there are other issues that need to be thought about here.

/ Big Enough Truck? #6  
Like the other said. On paper its not legal. Will your truck pull it, sure it will. Many larger trucks using the same 7.3 are rated to pull 20K. Dmace mentioned that even an F550 is only rated to pull 18K. Another post by LBrown who is looking for a truck and trailer has posters leading him to believe he can haul 4K in a 1/2T pickup bed. You just need to do your research, if you know how much weight you are going to pull its rather easy to figure what size truck is needed to pull it legally.

/ Big Enough Truck?
Like the other said. On paper its not legal. Will your truck pull it, sure it will. Many larger trucks using the same 7.3 are rated to pull 20K. Dmace mentioned that even an F550 is only rated to pull 18K. Another post by LBrown who is looking for a truck and trailer has posters leading him to believe he can haul 4K in a 1/2T pickup bed. You just need to do your research, if you know how much weight you are going to pull its rather easy to figure what size truck is needed to pull it legally.

Yeah, I've got some web pages open right now showing you how to compute how much you can (or should) pull without running into problems. I try and ask questions and research when I make a big purchase because I've always found it pays off in the long run. Thanks.

/ Big Enough Truck? #8  

Actually the 2005 F-350's are rated to tow in the 18K territory. The F-450 with a bed is rated to tow 24k.

Chris

/ Big Enough Truck? #9  
Yeah, might be right. After I read your post it got me to thinking with that much weight braking could be problem for an F-250 under some conditions. I imagine that the trailer / truck weight ratio might cause the F-250 to get "pushed around" a little by the trailer. I live in the Ozarks so my posting was initially aimed more at can I get this trailer up and down these hills (some steep). But I can see there are other issues that need to be thought about here.

You will have no problem getting it up the hill. I tow 25K with my 2006 F-350. The problem is getting it stopped and being legal.

Chris

/ Big Enough Truck?
You will have no problem getting it up the hill. I tow 25K with my 2006 F-350. The problem is getting it stopped and being legal.

Chris

I take it that 25K would be that nice big boat your showing in your member picture. :)

So no problems towing that much weight with your F-350? I guess not or you wouldn't be doing it.