Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3710

Default Trailer Price

I was wondering what a good price on a 20' 10,000 GVW trailer would be. I haven't seen any used so I think I am going to have to go new. What I have found is 3200 for a deckover and 2800 for a regular utility trailer.

Thanks,
    Steve

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL

Default Re: Trailer Price

I would think that if you can get a 20', 20,000 GVW rated trailer, for $2800 - $3200, that is properly suited for hauling a tractor safely then I would grab it !!!! and while your there, see how many more the guy has at that price.
    These are some of the prices that I have received on various equipment trailers.

Redi Haul, tiltbed trailer 82.5" x 18', 20,160 GVW $8,990.00
    Redi Haul, tiltbed trailer 82.5" x 18', 17,920 GVW $8,490.00
    Redi Haul, tiltbed trailer....81" x 18', 13,800 GVW $6,245.00

Bri-Mar, 82" x 18', 12,000 GVW $3,650.00

Tractor
    Deere 5520 MFWD

I have not priced a 20' deckover, but I have priced a 32' deckover gooseneck 20,000 lb for $5600, so I think that your prices are about inline. These prices are in NE Texas, but I think that you are getting a pretty decent deal. Some questions to ask are:

1. What brand / model of axles are they using?
    2. Does this price include brakes and if so what type?
    3. What type / brand / model of coupler is on this trailer?
    4. Does this price include ramps?
    5. Is the wiring run in a conduit or channel or is is just draped under the trailer?
    6. How is the deck secured to the frame?

I am sure there are others, but these are in my opinion the most important things to ask.

Tractor
    L3000DT

Steve, 4 years ago I purchased a 20' bobcat trailer, no dovetail, included ramps, 14,000 GVW, with brakes for $3300.00 including tax. Hope this helps. Marty
    BTW we only load for 10000 lb. but it sure is nice to know your not overloading the trailer. Kind of built in safety factor. Did not cost much to upgrade axles from 5000lb. to 7000lb.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

I had to do some serious digging to find my 20' 14,000# (2 -7,000# axles) tilt bed bumper pull trailer for $2,000. It was used but not much, the tires still had the tits on them. The new price on that trailer was around $3000. A 20' bumper pull trailer is a hard to find item, most people move up to a gooseneck. I didn't want to put a gooseneck hitch in my bed, I might want to trade this truck in in the next year or so and a gooseneck hitch can knock your value. People think you've abused the truck if they see the hitch. Ask the salespeople at trailer sales lots if they have any demo's or rental trailers they are fixing to retire. Another thing I've learned to ask for for my rent houses is scratch and dent merchandise. They might have a trailer out back that is mechanically solid but has been banged up that they will give you a substantial discount on.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3710

Thanks for the help guys. I just found out that I am going to put a new roof on the house this weekend so that puts my trailer shopping off for a couple more months. The trailer manufacture is Pequea I think that is how it is spelled. I am also looking at some Bri-Mar trailers.

Steve

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

<font color=blue>"20' 14,000# (2 -7,000# axles) tilt bed bumper pull trailer for $2,000"</font color=blue>

I paid $1.900 for a 26', 7,000# bumper pull, self contained electric hydraulic tilt bed trailer with an electric winch. It even has a swivel platform at the rear so I can load something onto the trailer then tow a truck behind like the little, two-wheeled tow dollies you see behind RV's. Those deals are out there.

<font color=blue>"I didn't want to put a gooseneck hitch in my bed, I might want to trade this truck in in the next year or so and a gooseneck hitch can knock your value. People think you've abused the truck if they see the hitch."</font color=blue>

That's why God made bedliners. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

I don't think the gooseneck hitch knocks the value. Most people I know that look for used trucks want a gooseneck hitch in one. If you go to any of the online places like kbb or edmunds they even add value to the price of the vehicle if it is equipped with different hitches.

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

CowboyDoc, I have to heartily disagree with you on this one. I'm a truck dealer by trade and have been in the business something over a quarter of a century now. In that time I have seen the business and the buyers change dramatically. Today a huge percentage of truck buyers don't even "need" trucks in the way truck buyers did years ago. Now people buy trucks as a "second car" for their daily commutes that will also haul the occasional load of mulch for the garden.

Trucks today have certainly taken on more car-like features, creature comforts and options to accomodate the current buyers. The typical buyer today wants an automatic transmission, CD player, air conditioning and power windows. That buyer also wants something that has been 'gently used' over one that's been used as a work truck. A fifth wheel/gooseneck hitch gives the impression the used truck was a work truck that has endured harder use and more wear than one without a fifth wheel/gooseneck hitch.

I'm sure you can find an isolated part of the market where fifth wheel/gooseneck hitches might be desireable, but that would only be the exception that proves the rule.

As to Edmund's and Kelly, there are many reasons those of us in the business don't use those. You just cited a couple. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

You may well be right but are we talking about half ton pickups or are we talking about 1 ton 4 wheel drive SRW or DRW etc. I know I was just looking for about 2 months and it made no difference at all in the price at the trucks I was looking at whether it had a hitch or not. Most, even dealers, would boast when one already had a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch. All I can say is what I saw in the last two months of looking. I finally gave up trying to buy a used one as I could get a brand new one for a couple thousand more than a used one. All the ones I looked at held their value no matter what they were equipped with and they were selling too!!! I'd call on one and then make an offer and they wouldn't budge. I'd call back a week later to see if they were ready to deal any and it was gone.

I also sold my 2000 that I had in two days for more than I paid for it a year ago and it had a gooseneck hitch and a frame hitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast