Age old debate, which truck & motor

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Hey guys first and foremost I don't want this thread to get into a brand war I would just like some constructive replies. I currently have a 04 f-250 6.0 psd. It's a supercab short bed 4x4 with 70k on it. Due to the fact that it's trade in value and what I owe are about even I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer unit. I know alot of you know of the reputation the early 6.0's got but I've had few issues and it's been a very good engine to me. I've used it as my daily driver and for frequent hauling. I'm contempltating getting a 350-450 but I'm wondering if a gas engine will get the job done for me. I know ford's
v10 has a good reputaion and makes good hp and torque. But I'm quite concerned that I'm going to be disappointed with anything but diesel. I'm a ford man due to the overall fit and finish compared to dodge or gm. That said I really like the duramax allison combo and the cummins interests me also. I'm not real impressed with the interior of the dodge and the new body styled gm's are just ok. I've been looking around for a 06-07 gmc 2500hd crew in stealth gray metallic but that combo seems to be a hard one to find. I really like the newer superdutys but the twin turbo thing scares me alittle. I was thinking of going the dually route with either a 350-450 crew but I really want to use this as my daily driver and don't think the dually is right for it. But to futher complicate matters I've got an little ford focus and a new motorcyle that I'll be driving back and forth to work. So I'd only be driving the truck on the weekend of in bad weather which I know isn't real good for diesel either. I've also heard some scary stories about MPG. So I'm hoping to but an 07 without the DPF and regen stuff. So from actually owners what are the pro's and cons of the big three. I am concered about warranty claims if either dodge or gm fold. So good bad what ever let me have it guys. I've got another child on the way and two child seats in the rear of a supercab is just a PITA. So the crew cab is almost a must.

Matt:D

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #2  
If you are happy with your truck I would keep it. I think the deals are going to be even better in the next year. I would not consider a dually if you do a lot of off roading or have to drive through a lot of snow. They just do not handle that role as good as a single rear wheel. And as you pointed out a dually makes a awful daily driver and you can forget about most drive-up and bank windows. Parking is another nightmare.

The only step up I would consider if I were you would be a 1 tons SRW diesel. I have looked long and hard at the V-10 and my uncle has one in a 2005 F-350 and why its a good powerful engine it still does not hold a candle to the diesel. I think you will be disapointed in both the power and MPG. So for now if I were you I would just hold on to the F-250. It seems like it is doing everything you need at this moment. When its time for a bigger truck you will know and that's the time to go shopping.

As you may or may not know I run a 2004 F-250 PSD 4x4, well actually my wife. It has not been in the shop one day, not for nothing. I drive a 2006 F-350 PSD 4x4 with SRW and its has been in the shop 1 time for a faulty dash cluster, nothing engine related.

The 6.4 has proven to be another good engine. There has been no issues with the twins. It would not bother me but it does some that Ford has gone through 3 diesels in a 8 year span. Its not like you will not be able to get service or parts. I would be more scared of GM and Dodge on the brink of bankruptcy. Just my $.02

Hope I was able to respond without be bias. I just stated the facts as I see them. My generic answer for now is keep your $$$$ and drive your current truck. 70K on a 5 year old Diesel is nothing so it should give you years of good service if you do not outgrow it and take good care of it.

Chris

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor
I really need the crew cab for the growing family. We're looking into campers also so that's where the dually really comes onto play. I've never had an 8' bed and never really needed one but if I go dually I'll end up with one. As far as the 6.4 and the short life of the engine that doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned with letting the turbo's sit if I only use the truck on weekends. I'm only getting about 16mpg with 3.73's so I really don't think the v10 would be too bad.

Matt:rolleyes:

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #4  
I really need the crew cab for the growing family. We're looking into campers also so that's where the dually really comes onto play. I've never had an 8' bed and never really needed one but if I go dually I'll end up with one. As far as the 6.4 and the short life of the engine that doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned with letting the turbo's sit if I only use the truck on weekends. I'm only getting about 16mpg with 3.73's so I really don't think the v10 would be too bad.

I need an 8' bed for hauling dirt and slag in.

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #5  

Yo can get 6' duallies on some Fords. And Dodge Mega Cabs.

Kyle

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #6  
If you are going to get a 5th wheel camper you want a 8' bed. If you get a 6' bed you will have to get a sliding 5th wheel hitch to allow you to backup and turn the camper at the same time. The way they work is they normally ride just about 6" in front of the rear axle. When you want to back up you get out of the truck and release a lock. You then manually actuate the trailer brakes and pull forward about 18". This now locks the hitch in back toward the tailgate and give you the necessary room between the camper and cab to turn without it hitting. When you are ready to drive off again you do the opposite procedure to get the hitch back in front of the rear axle.

The work but its much easier to just get a long bed.

Chris

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #7  
Matt,

I by no means am a diesel expert, but I really like my 6.4L 250. It has been a good truck thus far. My unloaded combination mileage has not been much different from the 7.3L I had and the truck is more refined. Having had a V10, and thinking it was a good engine, I can say you WILL be disappointed in its towing power if you are used to a diesel. It has plenty of power and tows well, just not diesel well. I do not like that yet again Ford is changing diesels in 2011 model year. I wish they would stick one out for a while. That said I think that the Ford TRUCK is tough to beat. The suspension, frame, springs, etc. are very heavy duty in all model numbers. They have neat features that some of the other brands do not have, which may or may not be important to you. Also importantly, they finish the truck off well, with stock bed cap rail liner (in the pickup), wheel tub liners, double pass frame welds, etc. I know it is a small point, but it bothers me when someone charges EXTRA for bed cap liners or leaves the wheel well covers painted, or unpainted from the factory on an expensive truck. It makes me think they were cutting corners in production (which they all do). I really like the GM product mechanically. It has an excellent powertrain, and handles more like a 1/2 ton in 2500 and 3500 configurations. It is also, IMO, homely and one has to question the viability of GM in the upcoming year or two. I really personally like the Cummins engine and Aisen tranny in the Dodge, but it is being redesigned for 2010 and looks much better. The interior, as you said, is pretty bland and will really seem out of date once the new one comes out. The suspension pieces on the Dodge are pretty flimsy, yet saying that, I have never known one using a Dodge to have a problem. For 2010, they must have realized this as they are substantially upgrading some of the running gear to compete better with GM and Ford. I like the 2010 Dodge and if interested in the Cummins, I would wait until that model year to buy. Your other option would be to go with the larger GM 4500/5500 packages, as they are great work-oriented trucks--but this might not be the direction you wish to go. I do not think the diesel would care whether it was driven on weekends or not, but it would be better to drive it a little more. I have looked these truck all over pretty well, and with some exceptions in spec the Ford still is pretty tough to beat in the 6.4L It, as said, has proven to be an excellent engine. Truthfully they are all top notch trucks.

John M

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #8  
I need an 8' bed for hauling dirt and slag in.

What does that have to do with anything? You will weigh out a 6' bed before you fill it, so you will really weigh out a 8' bed with any loose material except for peat or mulch. 8' bed trucks will not fit in most garages when you add the super or crew cab plus they really hurt turning radius.

Now a 8' bed does have its place, like hauling building materials and pulling 5th wheel campers.

Chris

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #9  
You will weigh out a 6' bed before you fill it, so you will really weigh out a 8' bed with any loose material except for peat or mulch.

Now a 8' bed does have its place, like hauling building materials and pulling 5th wheel campers.

Chris

Got to disagree there Chris, I have on many occasions hauled 1.5 to 2 yards of topsoil on both my current 2500 HD chevy with a long bed, as well as my old 99 F-350 dually from the Chardon Oh. area down I 90 to Grandma's house in Ashtabula [20 or so miles] . Both trucks sagged about a half inch below level, although the Chevy's tires [load range E's], looked a little squished. Both trucks were entirely stock as far as suspension was concerned. The topsoil was damp, but not sopping wet most times. The 8ft bed allows for slightly better weight dist. between the front and rear suspensions, due to the extra 2 ft being added in front of the rear axle.

Comparatively, the Chevy sagged worse with a pallet of 8 in brick pavers from home depot, which weighed 3400 lbs, centered over the rear axle, than it did hauling a full bed of topsoil evenly distributed in the pick up bed, which I am guessing weighed 1000, to 1500 lbs more, and it didn't drive to bad either. I attribute this to the load of dirt having a lower center of gravity, as well as being positioned more toward the center of the truck. The limiting factor for my Chevy hauling loads is the capacity of the tires, more so than the rear suspension or brakes. Common sense also plays a part in how much of what you can haul safely.

/ Age old debate, which truck & motor #10  
A crew cab long bed 3/4 or 1 ton is a barge, slightly under 20ft long. Not a big deal to store in most pole barns, but to big to fit comfortably in most home garages. My home Garage is 24x24, and I would not want to try and squeeze a CCLB in it every day.