I AM IMPRESSED

/ I AM IMPRESSED #1  

bjess8

Bronze Member
Tractor
GRAND L3130
I have a 05 chevy Dmax single rear wheel drive 4wd 2500 and i was in a 2002 dually 4wd 6spd dodge cummins this weekend and we puuled a 30' camper and boy was I impressed with its pulling power now can someone please tell me does the 6spd make that much difference or is it because it was a dually?I like my chevy but man was I impressed ,pulled it with ease.was just wondering is that cummins that much more powerfull both trucks are stock.maybe it is because it is a one ton truck. thanks

/ I AM IMPRESSED #2  
Has nothing to do with 1 ton or dually. It is the gears. GM only puts 3.73's and the Dodge dually usually has 4.10's. Also that Cummins makes tons of torque below 1500rpm.

Chris

/ I AM IMPRESSED #3  
I wonder if you noticed the torque curve. The Cummins are all about low end grunt; they make peak torque at pretty low RPM.

In my limited expierience with Ford and GM, thier diesels seem to have a higher rpm torque curve. They all make about the same power, just Cummins seems to make more down low.

It may be too, the 6 speed, and a combination of different gearing.

Or, all the above :D

/ I AM IMPRESSED #4  
I have a 05 chevy Dmax single rear wheel drive 4wd 2500 and i was in a 2002 dually 4wd 6spd dodge cummins this weekend and we puuled a 30' camper and boy was I impressed with its pulling power now can someone please tell me does the 6spd make that much difference or is it because it was a dually?I like my chevy but man was I impressed ,pulled it with ease.was just wondering is that cummins that much more powerfull both trucks are stock.maybe it is because it is a one ton truck. thanks

The dual rear wheels make the load feel more stable. The 6 speed tranny versus your 5 speed does make a difference. I notice my 6 speed seems to get a better hole shot off the line and since it has narrower ratios between gears, it hunts and lugs less than a 5 speed. The 4.10 rear gets the wheels turning better down low than the 3.73's. All those factors make the truck feel like it moves the load easier.

6 cylinder diesels have a narrower torque band, but it is concentrated down low. The dmax makes fantastic torque down low, too. What you should do is look both torque tables up and compare them.

/ I AM IMPRESSED #5  
2nd gen cummins rams concerning unmoded engines anyway. 99% of the time the 6spd is a 245hp HO (high output) CTD. and the 5spds are the 235hp SO (standard output) CTD.
Interesting thing too (dont know why) the SO injection pump is Higher ?power/flow then the High output.

I just post this because I always said I wanted the HO in my 01ram, all the time I had one and didnt know it until 2 days ago
(had the truck a year):rolleyes:

/ I AM IMPRESSED #6  
OK, uniformed here....

Where do you find the "torque tables"? Trying to do research on towing vehicles and can't find the info, searched the internet plus went to the library & Barnes & Noble, obviously, I don't know where to start.

Help!

/ I AM IMPRESSED #7  
OK, uniformed here....

Where do you find the "torque tables"? Trying to do research on towing vehicles and can't find the info, searched the internet plus went to the library & Barnes & Noble, obviously, I don't know where to start.

Help!

I'm sure it's published in the brochures for the trucks. Just go into a dealer and pick one up. They probably have on-line brochures, too.

/ I AM IMPRESSED #9  
I had to have my old 95 Cummins powered dodge flat bedded one time, just for a blown fuel shut down solenoid fuse. The flat bed had a Duramax and I was impressed with the way it pulled itself with my truck on it's back, and my truck was a heavy 2500 with utility body.

That was compared to the 160HP the 95 had, my 07/Cummins 6.7L has 300+ HP now.

Not considering any other factors, the Cummins does sound the sweetest! :D

Not to stir up a brand war but I was at Harbor Freight the other day and a guy had just started his Ford as I was getting out of my truck, the thing sounded terrible, like when you cold start an old diesel engine in sub zero temps, but it was not that cold. he was letting it run and revving it a little trying to get it come back to normal but it wasn't. Not sure of the year but it was a late model diesel.
I felt bad for the guy, I know that's not indicative of all Fords, that truck was really having a problem, but I thought for a moment about those funny Howie Long GM commercials where he's patting guys on the back, wishing them good luck with there non GM trucks. This poor guy probably would have punched him!

JB.

/ I AM IMPRESSED #10  
This shows what I've said before - I'm not impressed with the Powerstroke torque curve. It makes peak torque at over 2000 RPM. Too late for my taste.

The Cummins makes peak torque the earliest at ~1400RPM, but the DMAX isn't far behind at 1500 RPM and stays nice & flat through almost 3000RPM. I like the Cummins "off pedal" torque-it's practically cranking out 400 ftlbs while idling!!! That moves the load as soon as the light goes green. That's a 6 cylinder diesel for you.

The other important thing you want to look at is how flat the curve is at the top. Look at the lines and how "long" they are while staying flat. Imagine pulling a big trailer while climbing a hill, the tach rising. A flat torque curve insures you get high torque while that tach is rising and you're holding a gear while you accelerate or shifting.

Early high torque and a flat curve are the hallmarks of an efficient, powerful diesel. They also insure you greater fuel economy.