Trailer?

/ Trailer? #1  

tdenny

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 855 4WD, HST
Ok,

Now that I've gotten my tractor and am working /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif so very hard, I think I might need a trailer to move it around to help out some family in need. My father in law has some good compost that I could pick up and I could also help some folks out who are desparate.

I fully understand that if I were to get a trailer then my friends would come out of the woodwork but....

So my question is this:

What would be the minimum size trailer I would need to haul my toy around? I currently have only a Toyota truck 4WD with a V6 engine. It can safely tow up to and around 5000lbs or so. I don't plan on going real far at all but you never know. Do I need a double axle trailer or would a single suffice. Any suggestions. thanks

I have a fairly small tractor JD855 (24 HP) and it also has a FEL on it.

/ Trailer? #2  
I'm sure that some of the others with a little more knowledge will answer your question better than I can. But for what it's worth, your JD855 probably weighs in around 1,850 or 1,900 pounds. I'm not sure how much your FEL weighs, but I wouldn't expect it to be over a 1,000 pounds. That conservatively puts your weight, without any other attachments, at under 3,000 pounds. But now you have to factor in the weight of the trailer, any additional ballast you may have on the tractor (in the tires, on the wheels, or 3 pt ballast box), etc. You could probably stay under the 5,000 pound limit, depending on the quality of trailer you're looking at. I would think you could get by with a 10' or 12' trailer if you're not carrying any attachments.

/ Trailer?
Golfgar,

You make a good point, my rear tires are loaded (I haven't checked the fronts) and I forgot to take that into account. I'm not planning on moving attachments around but for landscaping purposes I might, in fact, need to take the box blade (about to be purchased) with me.

/ Trailer? #4  
TD, I went through the same thing last year. I wanted a trailer to haul the tractor on, but wanted flexibility for other chores as well. I ended up with an 18 foot car hauler, 7000# capacity. Slightly overkill for my tractor, but again it gives me flexibility.

You'll find price points at various weight ratings. For example, my trailer has two 3500# axles and nearly all the similar trailers are priced the same (other than features and options). The next step up os two 5000# axles for 10,000# rating and they run quite a bit more money. I wouldn't look at single axle trailers for what you will be hauling.

Your truck will probably be your limiting factor, but it should be ok with a 7000# trailer and your tractor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer?
Rob,

Thanks - that's what I was looking for. I was pretty sure my truck would limit me but I chose a tractor over a new larger truck. From my knothole the choice was clear. Tractor wins hands down. How much does your trailer weigh?

/ Trailer? #6  
I would recommend a 16' tandem axle trailer for that load. Most single axle trailers are rated at 3000lbs, due to the restiction of not having trailer brakes. Add the weight of the trailer to the weight of your tractor, and you will be overloaded.
A 7000lb tandem should fill the bill nicely, and you will appreciate the extra length for balancing the load. I have a single axle trailer for my BX 2200, and it is all that my 4cyl. Tacoma wants to pull. When I buy a new full size truck, a new tandem will be purchased ASAP.
One more thought, I would consider a aluminum trailer for weight savings. I have a Worthington 6.5'x12' that weighs around 550 lbs. counting the ramp. A similiar steel trailer comes in around 1300-1500lbs.

/ Trailer?
Will,

So you would recommend an aluminum tandem axle trailer. I see you pull with a Toyota as well. How much does your BX 2200 weigh? Rob also suggestted tandem axles and that seems logical to me.

/ Trailer? #8  
Hey, TD - I just checked out your profile! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I think you owe me some royalties or something! Go check out my profile (especially the hobbies part!) How's that for a coincedence?

Well, you know what they say - great minds think along the same lines (especially when it involves golf!) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Trailer? #9  
TDenny,
My BX, FEL and weight rack weigh about 2300lbs. It is well within the ability of the trailer, but I sure wish the little Toyota had a bit more pop!
I have also hauled my brothers B2400, FEL, and loaded tires at around 2600lbs. Again the trailer did not complain, but the truck was underpowered.
Another benefit of the tandem is having trailer brakes. My hauling is all in the local area (5-10miles), and I putter aroung like the proverbial old man, so I do all right without trailer brakes. I certainly would want them if I was going on the road for many miles.
The aluminum trailer may save you enough weight to trailer your 855 nicely with your 6cyl.

/ Trailer?
Golfgar,

That's funny. I guess you are probably correct (royalties). I know you were here first. I'd better revise mine a little so it doesn't look so bad. Hope you either got to play on your tractor or were out on the course yesterday. I played golf (mostly from the trees) yesterday. I was more than a little wild off the tee (required a few punch outs). Out here we have an over abundance of trees - and for us golfers that's not always a good thing. We also have to play in the rain often (all year long).