Why four binders?

/ Why four binders? #1  

n8586m

Tractor
Kubota B2620 w/FEL
This is a question for all you trailer experts. Why do you use a binder on all four corners? I don't care what a law might say, I want to know the actual reason behind it. I put my tractor on the trailer where it needs to be for balance. Then I hook the two front chains as tight as I can by hand. Then I put one chain on the back and with the tractor in neutral and brake off, I use a ratchet binder on the back chain to tighten the front chains until the rear tire starts to flatten. I then use a flip over binder on the second rear chain. So what would binders on the front do except provide at failure point? The front chains are tighter than Dick's hat and there is no way they can ever come loose as opposed to flip over binder that can and have opened.

/ Why four binders? #2  
the reasoning I have heard is so that you can retighten any given corner with out moving the load. Say if the front tire went flat you could not retighten it the way you have it. also I can secure a tractor that is not in the same place on the trailer every time. The length of attachments, other stuff on trailer ect. I am not arguing for or against, but the only time a binder has come undone on me was when the chain was too slack.

/ Why four binders? #3  
n8586m

I do it the way you do. Put 2 chains on one end of the tractor. Adjust them properly and then move the tractor slightly to tighten them. I tighten them so they are about equal in tension.Then set parking brake. I then use 2 chains on the other end with a binder on each chain to keep everything tight. For the "purists" 4 binders are recommended but I never quite see the logic. If I use 4 binders, enevitably, some of very tight and others not so tight. (The exception is the screw type binders which can be tightened equally.)

/ Why four binders? #5  
"If you only have one chain and on binder and some thing breaks then nothing is holding the tractor on that end."

LBrown59, I think you replied to the wrong post.

/ Why four binders?
LB, that don't make sense. I'm asking about four binders, not one. Duh, if you only have one chain and it fails you got a problem. My question is: Why four?

/ Why four binders? #7  
...... I don't care what a law might say, I want to know the actual reason behind it. ...
LOL....

For crying outloud, stop the madness... :D :D

/ Why four binders? #8  
LB, that don't make sense. I'm asking about four binders, not one. Duh, if you only have one chain and it fails you got a problem. My question is: Why four?
Have you ever seen a load shift, break loose, or completely come loose in a traffic accident? Or considered the safety of others? I have to respectfully wonder what you are thinking here of anything less than what the law requires and other people's safety. :eek:

/ Why four binders? #9  
I use one high test chain on the front and one on the back.

I run my chain from one side of the trailer...to the other side.

/ Why four binders? #10  
OOOUUCCCHHH To keep this guy happy you better have a haz mat kit along also. Never know when some diesel will spill.

The 4 binders I beleive assumes 4 seperate attachments point as in 4 seperate chains. A little overkill. Ideas being one fails the other three will hold.
Have you ever seen a load shift, break loose, or completely come loose in a traffic accident? Or considered the safety of others? I have to respectfully wonder what you are thinking here of anything less than what the law requires and other people's safety. :eek: