Grade 70 or 43

/ Grade 70 or 43 #1  

bjess8

Bronze Member
Tractor
GRAND L3130
What is the difference between Grade 70 chain and 43?can you use grade 43 for hauling?thanks

/ Grade 70 or 43 #2  
What is the difference between Grade 70 chain and 43?can you use grade 43 for hauling?thanks

As far as I know you can use the 43 or unmarked chain. You will have to work within the limits or about one size larger than a grade 70. Look at the DOT site for your state or the federal motor carrier regs.

/ Grade 70 or 43 #4  
grade refers to the hard/tough-ness of the chain.
much like bolts where a grade 8 is tougher and harder to break than a grade 3.

/ Grade 70 or 43
ok thanks I just seen some grade 43 in the nothern tool book and was going to get some for hauling my Grand L 3130 and just wanted to make sure it was legal.Thanks

/ Grade 70 or 43 #6  
3/8 grade 43 chain is rated at 5400# and grade 70 is 6600# not a huge difference but not a huge difference in price.
Plus the grade 70 chain has that beautiful goldish chromate finish, not only looks good but is highly corrosion resistant.

I would get the G70.

JB

/ Grade 70 or 43 #7  
And the best thing about grade 70 is, you can generally go down one size in your chain. That makes it lighter! Hefting chains around gets old.. :)

And it's more resistant to rust!

/ Grade 70 or 43 #8  
3/8 grade 43 chain is rated at 5400# and grade 70 is 6600# not a huge difference but not a huge difference in price.
Plus the grade 70 chain has that beautiful goldish chromate finish, not only looks good but is highly corrosion resistant.

I would get the G70.

JB

You mean like this nice golden finish? :)

I needed a short piece of logging chain so I bought the unplated grade 43 and plated it at work. This is better then any plating you will get of the shelf. It is a zinc-nickel alloy (87/13) with chromate topcoat finish. We use it on aircraft bearings.

IMG_0522.jpg

/ Grade 70 or 43 #10  
Your original question asked if you could use grade 43 for hauling. The answer was yes but I also agree that for the minimal difference in price get the grade 70 chain. Mike posted the specs for each.